IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra/mtqrl
7/30/11, 11:52 AM   #91
Re: Umra/mtqrl
tqcar65

I have been talking and looking at a lot of options and maybe came to my conclusion.I want to keep the same setup as we have with the driveshaft and quick change,I don't like it a lot sometimes ,but it is what sets TQs apart.How hard would it be to convert a TQ over to chain drive?Get rid of the quickchange and swap a straight axle,maybe use the same birdcages?Welding brackets in for a newer motorcycle engine to set inside the frame wouldn't be too hard or expensive.Would it be possible and economicle to change a Tq to an uprite Minisprint?Invite uprite minisprints to run with us in their own class?Drop the ccs to 640 so engines are not bored and built to outragouse and unreliable limits.Let some guys go that route.Bringing in some uprites could get our car counts up to 40 a night I think.Then in a couple years set up some new rules and guidlines for some 1000 cc tqs running cut blocks or 4 stroke snomobile engines as a third class of cars.That would be a good show for ther fans,maybe add wings to the uprites so they look a little different for the fans.We need get our fan base back so we can get better payouts and the booses need this club to support itself and proffit.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I like the snowmobile engines so much because of the way they are built,dry sump oil system,wouldn't have to cut the case just take it off the snowmobile and bolt it on,like the minisprints do with the bike engines.Keep it simple.

7/30/11, 1:11 PM   #92
Torry

I love you guys and the sport you deliver but I have to say that this thread demonstrates the essence of "club racing." Pages of talk about the nuances of drive-trains; past history; old bad blood; justifications for increasingly smaller niches in the motorsports spectrum... Not a lot of concern over what type of show is given the fans.

This is perfectly fine as long as the participants want to continue footing their own bills in a 100% "Pay to Play." game. This is not good if they want bigger purses and greater recognition. The SCCA can do perfectly fine running in shopping center parking lots and staging Poker Runs for its members and the players are happy with it. If the 2 TQ groups are happy running at empty county fair tracks then all the power to them. We all play this game as we like it and if the TQ and similar classes are happy with the "Club Life" then all the power to them.

But the TQ's and all similarly SIZED racers can offer fans an exciting show on tracks that full-sized sprints and midgets cannot. The smaller width and wheelbase lets them turn the Speedrome into a racing madhouse. The tight cornering makes the pointy-end of Mt. Lawn exciting. They should be the winter racing superstars at coliseums all over the Midwest.

Instead they spend their time fighting over chain-drives, old rivalries and "tradition."

The fans in the stands don't care a tin whistle if the car is chain-driven, shafted of the crank or powered by a squirrel on a wheel. The fans like the speed and quickness the TQ's can deliver. They don't see anything covered by the skin and, frankly, don't care. The only people who care about the TQ vs. mini-sprint vs. UMRA vs. MTQRL or any of that are in the pits. ... trying to figure out how to get enought money to make the next race.

If you all have unlimited pockets and don't need fan support; then continue on this path. Fight every change to prevent your parts from being obsoleted. Split off another category of racecars every few years when a better, faster, cheaper, different, whatever shows up in the pits. Hold a drivers' meeting before every race to hash and re-hash each tiny problem and change the procedure at every show to suit each passing whim.

If you want to strengthen your position to make TQ's a viable class of racers in front of paying fans who can help you increase your purse then do it. I've seen the mini-sprints and TQ's run together. They are very compatible with each other and the fans couldn't tell the difference. Stock car fans at weekly tracks generally don't care for the midgets. The TQ's, however, can deliver an exciting show at places like the Speedrome, Mt. Lawn, and other tight bull-rings. They COULD be one of the stars of the County Fair circuit due to their versatility on a variety of track sizes and their ability to put on a show on the unbanked crappy tracks. They could be... but aren't.

This has been an ugly summer for spectator sports with all manner of attendance down by 10-20%. Even the county fairs have seen this drop. NExt summer will probably be as bad. The TQ crowd has a choice: continue wandering the narrow cow paths into obscurity or come together and shape a road together.

4 members like this post: racegurl68, SprintManDave, tqracer65, Xflagman
7/30/11, 4:00 PM   #93
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry View Post
I love you guys and the sport you deliver but I have to say that this thread demonstrates the essence of "club racing." Pages of talk about the nuances of drive-trains; past history; old bad blood; justifications for increasingly smaller niches in the motorsports spectrum... Not a lot of concern over what type of show is given the fans.

This is perfectly fine as long as the participants want to continue footing their own bills in a 100% "Pay to Play." game. This is not good if they want bigger purses and greater recognition. The SCCA can do perfectly fine running in shopping center parking lots and staging Poker Runs for its members and the players are happy with it. If the 2 TQ groups are happy running at empty county fair tracks then all the power to them. We all play this game as we like it and if the TQ and similar classes are happy with the "Club Life" then all the power to them.

But the TQ's and all similarly SIZED racers can offer fans an exciting show on tracks that full-sized sprints and midgets cannot. The smaller width and wheelbase lets them turn the Speedrome into a racing madhouse. The tight cornering makes the pointy-end of Mt. Lawn exciting. They should be the winter racing superstars at coliseums all over the Midwest.

Instead they spend their time fighting over chain-drives, old rivalries and "tradition."

The fans in the stands don't care a tin whistle if the car is chain-driven, shafted of the crank or powered by a squirrel on a wheel. The fans like the speed and quickness the TQ's can deliver. They don't see anything covered by the skin and, frankly, don't care. The only people who care about the TQ vs. mini-sprint vs. UMRA vs. MTQRL or any of that are in the pits. ... trying to figure out how to get enought money to make the next race.

If you all have unlimited pockets and don't need fan support; then continue on this path. Fight every change to prevent your parts from being obsoleted. Split off another category of racecars every few years when a better, faster, cheaper, different, whatever shows up in the pits. Hold a drivers' meeting before every race to hash and re-hash each tiny problem and change the procedure at every show to suit each passing whim.

If you want to strengthen your position to make TQ's a viable class of racers in front of paying fans who can help you increase your purse then do it. I've seen the mini-sprints and TQ's run together. They are very compatible with each other and the fans couldn't tell the difference. Stock car fans at weekly tracks generally don't care for the midgets. The TQ's, however, can deliver an exciting show at places like the Speedrome, Mt. Lawn, and other tight bull-rings. They COULD be one of the stars of the County Fair circuit due to their versatility on a variety of track sizes and their ability to put on a show on the unbanked crappy tracks. They could be... but aren't.

This has been an ugly summer for spectator sports with all manner of attendance down by 10-20%. Even the county fairs have seen this drop. NExt summer will probably be as bad. The TQ crowd has a choice: continue wandering the narrow cow paths into obscurity or come together and shape a road together.
Post 93/94! OMG that's funny, did you guys have help, or did you think this up on your own? This is a very good example of heeding common sense, and staying in where it's cool!Bob!

7/30/11, 4:08 PM   #94
midgetracer

Car count averages for 2011 are mtqrl 20.5. Umra 15.4 umra has an average of 11 cars on pavement. Mtqrl will not run pavement because the numbers don't lie. Also there a couple former tq drivers and owners getting back into the game. Which will increase car counts. Tq's will prosper but mtqrl doesn't need any merger because they focus on the show and they are on an upswing.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 10:11 PM   #95
Ambrose93&39

We have a chain drive tq with a 600cc yam in it but nobody will let it run with them because of the chain. The engine sets in the car just like it does in the bike and is inside the frame directly in front of the driver, stock on gas to boot.

7/30/11, 10:37 PM   #96
Jrp4554

Change is inevitable in everything in life except for tq midget racing in indiana. Lol. I don't understand why but that's just the way it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 10:53 PM   #97
racerjim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp4554 View Post
Change is inevitable in everything in life except for tq midget racing in indiana. Lol. I don't understand why but that's just the way it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why do you want to change it? That's what I don't understand.

You have TQ midgets and you have mini sprints...enough said!

7/30/11, 11:08 PM   #98
Jrp4554

Sorry I forgot your not allowed to say the word change and tq in the same sentence.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/30/11, 11:12 PM   #99
ambrose1

7/31/11, 6:48 AM   #100
marko 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose93&39 View Post
We have a chain drive tq with a 600cc yam in it but nobody will let it run with them because of the chain. The engine sets in the car just like it does in the bike and is inside the frame directly in front of the driver, stock on gas to boot.
wasn"t that koenig your dad kicked butt with chain driven ??

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Umra/mtqrl