IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track Insurance
2/16/09, 8:06 PM   #1
Track Insurance
Biro 22

I'm not here to grind on anyone or pick on any particular track. I just thought I would relay some info based on our experience. If you're a driver or pit crew and you think you're immune from a serious accident, think again. If you don't have a strong personal medical insurance policy, stay away from the track or pit area. Most of the tracks, race series, promoters, etc. do not have enough insurance coverage if you get hurt. ALL of their coverage is secondary. Which means that it only kicks in after your primary is out or if you don't have primary and in most cases, you're only covered for $25,000. The only exception I know of is Usac. I believe a sanctioned Usac race you are covered for $200,000 secondary. I was told there are a couple of tracks that might have $50,000, but $25,000 seems to be the norm. Either way, it doesn't matter. The $25,000 will just barely cover the helicopter ride and if you end up in the trauma center, $15,000 to $20,000 per day is the norm.

Like i said above, I'm not trying to spoil your fun or degrade any track. Just make sure you have some kind of good primary coverage. There are companies that sell racer medical insurance if you don't have primary coverage. Get some. Kenny's medical bills are pushing 1 million. Our blue cross primary is 80/20. So, I'm sure you can understand our dilema. Sell everything.

I would strongly urge you to do some insurance homework before you start racing.

curt

2/16/09, 10:04 PM   #2
Re: Track Insurance
lovindirt

Thank you Curt this is good info. I just hope that all pay attention now. Or maybe the tracks will pickup and make changes. Jeff

2/16/09, 10:55 PM   #3
4wheelsinthekoosh

STIDA STIDA STIDA. Check it out at Stida.com

2/16/09, 11:06 PM   #4
dant

Yah.blame the track.You pay the premium for the insurance policy with your membership and your only covered at USAC sanctioned events.If you obtain a personal policy it would cover you at any track ,any event,practice ect....I spoke to my local track promoter and if I could get a group of racers to agree and consider it a priority he'd put us in contact with his insurer to help us get a good rate....i'm still looking for a few good men....

2/16/09, 11:46 PM   #5
racephoto1

Call the Rices , STIDA

2/17/09, 10:32 AM   #6
racerfanx2

The amount of coverage will vary from track to track. Ask the promotor at the track what their coverage is. They will have a printed policy they can show you. Don't just assume the track will have enough coverage.

2/17/09, 12:20 PM   #7
snoopy

Some have no insurance at all! Your series director needs to check on this prior to any engine being fired. Some arrange for insurance but wait and see if anyone gets hurt before paying. As the TV used to say, "let's be careful out there". Promoters are not always the most honest businessmen. Most of us are very careless on such important things.

2/17/09, 1:18 PM   #8
nonwing

Just a tid bit... I got hurt at Kokomo back when Lipkey's owned it in 1993. I broke my leg and was sent to Methodist where Terry Trammel was kind enough to put me back together. Lipkeys at that time only had $10,000.00 secondary and my primary did not cover driving race cars. I got lucky and it took all of the ten grand. I did have to pay for the Ambulance ride. Also, after they lifted me out of the car they took me to an ambulance -if you want to call it that. The paint on the outside said so, but inside was a gutted out van with a gurney. I sat on the side door ledge then hopped over to the gurney. They took me outside the pit gate where the real Ambulance picked me up. We switched gurneys and off we went to the local hospital. After some arguing I got a hold of Terry Trammel and they sent me to Methodist.

The bottom line is... I got lucky!

George Wilkins

2/17/09, 1:33 PM   #9
racerfanx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
Some have no insurance at all! Your series director needs to check on this prior to any engine being fired. Some arrange for insurance but wait and see if anyone gets hurt before paying. As the TV used to say, "let's be careful out there". Promoters are not always the most honest businessmen. Most of us are very careless on such important things.
That's why you should ask to see a copy of the policy. If you still have questions call the insurance carrier. Do this BEFORE you put that first tire on the track. It's better to be safe than sorry. Any honest promotor will not have a problem showing this to you. Don't take chances. Always check these things out ahead of time at each and every track you go to.

Julie

2/17/09, 3:24 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelsinthekoosh View Post
STIDA STIDA STIDA. Check it out at Stida.com
This is great Billy and I totally support it. But please realize theres still 750,000 to account for even if they had it.

I've said for a long time. Anything less than a million in insurance and you could face possible castastrophy. A couple weeks and surgeries can easily top the half million mark.

Curt and Kenny and family, continued thoughts and prayers, The main thing is Kennys still with us. despite what comes around finanancially. thats the important thing. Racers help racers and I will continue to do so when and where possible.

Chuck

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Track Insurance