IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty
11/4/08, 8:22 PM   #21
Re: mini sprint safty
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryoracing View Post

In general I feel the minisprints are very fast. They probably cost a bundle too,
but don't use much fuel to race. That is all I know at present. And yes I think
they are "safe".

I have race a 360 sprint car and I feel they are safe as long as you are not
stupid.

1) Minisprints very safe and fast.

My thoughts,
Sincerely,
Larry Otani
In the above quote , I have condensed Larry's comments to focus solely on the proclamations of what Larry see's as "safe" ... and Iam somewhat surprised. While Larry may often qualify his opinions as to his personal experiences or what he feels he has some knowledge of , Larry is actually very intelligent in many aspects of motor racing. And therein lies my "surprise".

No race car should be seen as "safe" in it's intended purpose. Whether it be karts , 600's , mini , micro , tq , 360 , 410 or otherwise , research will reveal that someone has lost their life in all of them. Racing has never been a "safe" activity in any of it's forms. And that is perhaps why everyone is not doing it.

Over time many improvements in safety can be seen. To those of us that can go back and take a look at the cars we drove 20 or more years ago serves to bring realization to just how dangerous those things were ! We did not recognize it to be so much back then. Today's race cars of all descriptions are dangerous and serious injury or loss of life should always be considered as extremely possible.

I believe that those who choose to participate know these things and accept the dangers but hope for the best !

I would ask my good friend Larry Otani from California to re-think "safe" as related to motorsports.

11/4/08, 9:31 PM   #22
slide22

Mini-sprints as with all racing carry some risk. Maybe not as much as a 360 sprint car, but i wouldn't want to hit the wall at Lawrenceburg with one. They are not toys though, a guy in Missouri a few weeks ago was badly injured and i believe is still in a coma, and a driver at Waynesfield last year broke his back;\

11/5/08, 12:44 AM   #23
speidel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by konger10 View Post
Not to sound stupid but what are tq's
TQ is a Three-Quarter midget. My TQ has Midget Winter's rear-end and drive-line. We just run 750 honda engine bored to 836. No wangs on top of our cars. Pic of mine is my profile pic. They arent anything like driving a 410 sprinter but they are fun and easy to drive and alot of cars at each race and get to race on some cool tracks :thumb

11/5/08, 12:56 AM   #24
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by speidel21 View Post
TQ is a Three-Quarter midget. My TQ has Midget Winter's rear-end and drive-line. We just run 750 honda engine bored to 836. No wangs on top of our cars. Pic of mine is my profile pic. They arent anything like driving a 410 sprinter but they are fun and easy to drive and alot of cars at each race and get to race on some cool tracks :thumb
do they run tqs with "wangs" anywhere or jus non-"wangs":confused:

11/5/08, 1:35 AM   #25
LocalYokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
East Coast TQ's run wings, but they more resemble a super modified than a midget.

Check out www.atqmra.com

11/5/08, 11:26 AM   #26
TQ29m

I think the word "safe/safety" is being used in the wrong context here. To say that anything is safe, and putting your name on it, is foolish. Be it a battery powered whatever, for your child, a Monster truck, or whatever, your chair at your confuser, your TV recliner, can all be "hazardus to your health"! What needs to be done, is to look at making whatever it is, as "safe as possible", within realistic reason. You have to consider a lot of factors, and I doubt any two "professional people", will agree on everything. I have seen a lot of what I would consider "unsafe" race cars", the integrity of the material goes away with age, some quicker than others. Putting a date on seat belt/harness replacement helps, but if they aren't mounted correctly, is a factor. Like I said earlier, you just have to be realistic, and make it as safe as you can, we all know "open wheel cars" are just that, you are strapped to a missile, that at any moment could, malfunction, or collect a rock, or a piece of a junk car from a demo derby, and put your lights out. One night at Vernon, one of our Tq drivers saw a BATTERY coming end over end at him, and as luck would have it, it bounced up as he neared it, luckily it hit the uprite on his left downtube, and glanced off, but that would not have been pleasant, had it hit him. To say one is any safer than the other, is foolish, had he had a rock guard, it would have helped, but if it were mounted with wire ties, it would probably not helped much, that battery weighed close to 10lbs, so I doubt the rock guard would have slowed it much, but having the battery properly mounted, would have gone a long way in "preventing" this from happening. Like has been said before, in other posts, you take the risk, and share the responsibility, when you strap in. Bob

11/5/08, 11:53 AM   #27
speidel21

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Brad Kuhn Fan View Post
there use to be a group that ran in Illinois few years ago, dont know if they still run or not, they never really had many cars, but i think they ran with wangs.

11/5/08, 4:13 PM   #28
mscs20

The Illinois series is non wing. http://www.imratqseries.com/ is their website. 20-25 cars I think is about average. I ran last month with them at Macomb IL 5th mile track and at E Moline IL 1/4 Mi. Good group of people and pay well.

11/5/08, 8:20 PM   #29
konger10

Thanksfor replying. What is your guys opinion in full containment seats lajoy kirkey ultrashield is there a big difference the lajoy is alot more money and seems like it would add alittle more support overall. What is the best head and neck restraint money is know option when it comes to my brothers safety. if we make the jump I just wont to give him the safest car possible. Any help or advise would be great Thanks Again Mark

11/5/08, 11:02 PM   #30
slide22

i would suggest an Ultrashield containment seat, most comfortable and favorite seat ive ever had.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty