IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
2/2/23, 3:56 PM   #71
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

One of the times we were in Alaska we saw 360 winged sprints run at Mitchell Speedway in the Anchorage area and Capital Speedway in Willow, Alaska. Wasn't really anything to write home about but it was neat to see sprint car racing in the Last Frontier none the less.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

2/2/23, 4:06 PM   #72
WinglessLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Anyone remember Catarct (maybe Cataract Falls) Speedway in W. Central IN? I think it only ran for 2-3 years. Went there for a race and it rained out before a lap was turned. Looked like a wicked little short 1/4 with very high banks.
Tried to visit there one year before we moved here and we got rained out also!! Never got to see a race there.

Bruce Eckel

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
2/2/23, 4:09 PM   #73
WinglessLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich45 View Post
Penn National, Reading, Allentown.
Used to live in Western New Jersey and went to Penn National and Reading many times but never got to see a race at Allentown. One of my biggest regrets in my years of going to the races.

Bruce Eckel

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, erich45, oppweld, tirespinner
2/2/23, 4:16 PM   #74
WinglessLovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I was at both of those races and I agree, not much fun. We laughingly refer to the race at the fieldhouse as the worst race in history.
Or as our group of two guys from Wisconsin & my wife and myself like to say what talking about bad races, "But was it worse than Indy indoors." The benchmark for a poor race.

Bruce Eckel

2/2/23, 6:53 PM   #75
miledirt

forgot about Calvert City, Ky. - besides the rocks, that was a showplace. Sad it's not still around
Saw the outlaws there a few times

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, racenut69, tirespinner, TNRustler
2/2/23, 6:58 PM   #76
snowdrift

Rapid Rick it was at whitewater valley speedway that USAC midget were supposed to run the USAC car owners said it was not safe a lot of them left .Some stayed Steve buck water was loaded and ready decided to stay won the money they ran sprint cars that nite to I think only 9 stayed

2/2/23, 7:10 PM   #77
mlamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Think there have been like Ten Sprint car races at Florence ky speedway since the late 80s. First one I seen there was Jeff Gordon's first USAC win which was Winged and well attended both car and fan wise. The track is a LM track. But MSCS ran there a couple years 2012-13? Good shows.

Also seen a cora midget race there on what was a quarter mile they built inside the main track that was mostly used for figure eights..

This year, BOSS runs FLORENCE. May 27th
Chuck I too was at the USAC winged show Jeff Gordon won. Been so long ago they still pitted inside the track then. I watched pitside on top of Eric Gordon’s trailer with good friend Tony Epperson.

BTW Chuck thanks for starting this thread.
Been a neat stroll down memory lane.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, tirespinner
2/2/23, 7:42 PM   #78
Rcar

Saw sprints run at chandler in. Track now closed for several years

2/2/23, 7:47 PM   #79
TQ29m

I remember that track, we ran tqs at Florence several times, we first ran a temporary track in the same area, just off turn 2, on the back stretch, those scamps told us they built that just for us! Big rooster tails getting back up to the pit area.
Last edited by TQ29m; 2/2/23 at 7:50 PM.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, tirespinner
2/2/23, 8:08 PM   #80
Rapid Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift View Post
Rapid Rick it was at whitewater valley speedway that USAC midget were supposed to run the USAC car owners said it was not safe a lot of them left .Some stayed Steve buck water was loaded and ready decided to stay won the money they ran sprint cars that nite to I think only 9 stayed
I do recall this happening but much later than this USAC/CRA race. Back in the 80's the big names from out west came in to run with USAC for about two weeks. Eldora, Terre Haute, can't remember others but one year Whitewater Valley was on the trip. Wish I could remember more specifics but a good field of cars I do remember.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen