IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
1/31/23, 9:14 AM   #1
Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

What tracks have you seen a sprint car race at that most on the board probably never seen a sprint car race at.

My first thought it old Portsmouth. Same location as current track but this was a less than quarter mostly flat track on grey clay (Play Doh) Seen a All Star race there that Mark Keegan won, Track was so tight it ran around the guardrail of the current light tower and had corner flagmen. Winged sprints backed em in and shot down the other straight.

1/31/23, 9:31 AM   #2
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
What tracks have you seen a sprint car race at that most on the board probably never seen a sprint car race at.

My first thought it old Portsmouth. Same location as current track but this was a less than quarter mostly flat track on grey clay (Play Doh) Seen a All Star race there that Mark Keegan won, Track was so tight it ran around the guardrail of the current light tower and had corner flagmen. Winged sprints backed em in and shot down the other straight.
Sounds a little like Madison indiana, one driver said he felt like he was going faster side ways than he was in a straight line, and he admitted he was having fun, to which I agreed.

1/31/23, 9:41 AM   #3
jmamcd

Hickory Speedway in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania during Western PA Sprint Speed Week. Small, tight, dirty track. It closed that year.

1/31/23, 10:20 AM   #4
Re: Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

Well, since I am from California and now reside in Texas. . . . probably a few. We have lost a lot of tracks in the Houston area in the past 30 years, sadly. All ran sprint cars at some point, although usually winged. Probably the most unique was at Houston Raceway Park in 2010 when the TNT non wing sprints raced. First non wing show I had ever seen in Houston. Great finish with Ballou winning over Bacon and Hockett.

1/31/23, 12:05 PM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

30 April 1994 I saw Cory Kruseman score his first SCRA win ever at the 3/8s El Centro (Imperial Fairgrounds) speedway.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
1/31/23, 12:41 PM   #6
JJMooney

Interesting. I like this topic. I’d say two tracks I saw sprint car races at that most on this board haven’t seen sprints at are:

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. The laps were reduced early on after there were way too many cautions getting the race going. It was kind of a cluster. The place was heavy, wet, with a big cushion. Plenty fast. The track is back to being pavement but only runs stock cars once-in-a-blue moon.

MID-AMERICA SPEEDWAY, South Coffeyville OK (8/15/2007) – Sprint Bandit Tour 'N Topless: Emmet Hahn’s non-wing, TNT series made a stop here at this remote 3/10 mile near the Kansas border. It was hot. Brutally hot. Like 110 degrees hot. And it wasn’t a dry heat either. In between hot laps and the heat races most, if not all, of the sparse crowd on hand stood in the shade of the concession stand roof. There was less than 100 spectators. Standing in that shade was what I remember most of that show. The race feature won by Chris Windom. I want to say Tim Kaeding was second. As you can imagine it was gritty, dusty, then the track laid rubber. Although, with all that said, I think it was a decent race. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over so I get to my car and turn on the a/c. The track has long since closed.
Last edited by JJMooney; 1/31/23 at 12:42 PM.

1/31/23, 1:14 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
Interesting. I like this topic. I’d say two tracks I saw sprint car races at that most on this board haven’t seen sprints at are:

LEBANON I-44 SPEEDWAY, Sleeper MO (9/15/2004) – USAC Sprint Cars: Best known for being a paved track, I-44 was covered with sticky, red clay for a very short time. I believe it was the only sprint race held here when it was dirt. There were a few USAC shows here when I-44 was pavement. However, in 2004, this was a Duke Cook promoted USAC dirt show. Wednesday night. Small crowd. Originally scheduled to be a 50-lap feature. I was at the driver’s meeting and the drivers were complaining about it being 50 laps. Duke argued, “USAC features were 50 laps in my day so that’s what we’re runnin’.” Tony Elliott got by Tim Kaeding with ten to go to win the feature which wound up being 30 laps anyway. The laps were reduced early on after there were way too many cautions getting the race going. It was kind of a cluster. The place was heavy, wet, with a big cushion. Plenty fast. The track is back to being pavement but only runs stock cars once-in-a-blue moon.

MID-AMERICA SPEEDWAY, South Coffeyville OK (8/15/2007) – Sprint Bandit Tour 'N Topless: Emmet Hahn’s non-wing, TNT series made a stop here at this remote 3/10 mile near the Kansas border. It was hot. Brutally hot. Like 110 degrees hot. And it wasn’t a dry heat either. In between hot laps and the heat races most, if not all, of the sparse crowd on hand stood in the shade of the concession stand roof. There was less than 100 spectators. Standing in that shade was what I remember most of that show. The race feature won by Chris Windom. I want to say Tim Kaeding was second. As you can imagine it was gritty, dusty, then the track laid rubber. Although, with all that said, I think it was a decent race. I couldn’t wait for the night to be over so I get to my car and turn on the a/c. The track has long since closed.

Gonna have to add another post on Sprint races that not many saw because there weren't many fans at it. I got a couple in mind. one at eldora where I think track staff outnumbered fans and there were 36 sprint cars and 26 LM's that raced.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
1/31/23, 1:17 PM   #8
beaner

Shiawassee County Fairgrounds in Michigan. MTS show with a very cool setting on weekday during Fair Week. Furthest grandstand I ever sat from a track with grass, fence, tractor pulling area, more grass and then the track. Oh yea, as I remember the dirt track went up/down a hill and was not actually oval. If anyone out there ever attended this Fairgrounds track, is my memory close?

1/31/23, 1:23 PM   #9
Rpracing1

McHenry Ky. Chandler, In. and Mt. Vernon,Ill.
Last edited by Rpracing1; 1/31/23 at 1:25 PM.

1/31/23, 1:29 PM   #10
TQ29m

Little Salem, as it is known, and Osgood?

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ilovedirttrackracing, JJMooney, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different. Sprint races at tracks most never seen