IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No return visit to Huset's for USAC
11/25/22, 12:12 PM   #41
Re: No return visit to Huset's for USAC
racenut69

All day,everyday,Abe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Just a little off subject. Id like to see a two or three day midget show at Haubstadt

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing
11/26/22, 12:49 PM   #42
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
You’re not going to be able to plop a big time USAC race in an area that doesn’t have a history with non-winged racing.

The places where I think it could work are Indiana (obviously), Eldora, Knoxville (given the history of non-winged racing), Arizona and California. Central Pa could also make it happen.
Interesting you left Missouri (and Lakeside in Kansas City). They are 2nd only to Indiana in number of non wing races according to the statistics pages.

The fire department actually stopped ticket sales one year for safety due to the crowd size for a non wing race at Lakeside Speedway.

11/26/22, 1:19 PM   #43
oldfan49

A perfect place for a new "Crown Jewel" traditional sprint race would be I-70 Speedway in Odessa Missouri

It is on Interstate 70 and has good access from all directions (although it does have some access road issues)
It has more than enough parking and seating (not to mention the comfort of the seating)
It is close to the center of the US
The area has a long and large history of Super Mod and non wing sprint car racing.
There is a good base of non wing cars in the area.
The area fan base has always supported big non wing shows.
Casey Shuman is a huge and welcome addition to the track management team.

Let's hope we soon see the return of the Ron Shuman Classic and see someone win that Pedal Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG0ldABb8U0&t=511s
Last edited by oldfan49; 11/26/22 at 1:22 PM.

11/26/22, 2:45 PM   #44
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
A point in the middle would be St. Louis. Perhaps Tri City Speedway? They have a history of promoting USAC shows. They just don’t have a history of great support. (Gold Crown midget shows)
I always thought what hurt the Gold Crown was the weather. From memory the first few years were good,then after that it seemed like it either rained or was going to rain etc etc.

We always had fun at the Gold Crown. Being the first weekend of the month,also meant it was taco weekend at Don's No Mans Land Tavern in Wood River/East Alton. One of the last years I went,we took orders and ordered around 75 tacos,and Morty went and got them.
Last edited by Andrew S. Quinn; 11/26/22 at 2:57 PM.

11/26/22, 3:53 PM   #45
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
I always thought what hurt the Gold Crown was the weather. From memory the first few years were good,then after that it seemed like it either rained or was going to rain etc etc.

We always had fun at the Gold Crown. Being the first weekend of the month,also meant it was taco weekend at Don's No Mans Land Tavern in Wood River/East Alton. One of the last years I went,we took orders and ordered around 75 tacos,and Morty went and got them.
Loved those tacos, the pizza place down the road was pretty good too.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

4 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, BrentTFunk, oppweld, racenut69
11/26/22, 7:25 PM   #46
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfan49 View Post
A perfect place for a new "Crown Jewel" traditional sprint race would be I-70 Speedway in Odessa Missouri

It is on Interstate 70 and has good access from all directions (although it does have some access road issues)
It has more than enough parking and seating (not to mention the comfort of the seating)
It is close to the center of the US
The area has a long and large history of Super Mod and non wing sprint car racing.
There is a good base of non wing cars in the area.
The area fan base has always supported big non wing shows.
Casey Shuman is a huge and welcome addition to the track management team.
Casey is a huge addition to I-70. He also works for WRG who happen to own the WoO and Extreme Sprint Car Series. You are more likely to see a big Extreme series non-wing show there than USAC.
Could be wrong but don't think so.

11/26/22, 9:15 PM   #47
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Casey is a huge addition to I-70. He also works for WRG who happen to own the WoO and Extreme Sprint Car Series. You are more likely to see a big Extreme series non-wing show there than USAC.
Could be wrong but don't think so.

USAC was there this year, Xtreme not. Also Volusia does not list xtreme on their schedule. Just NW sprints. All I heard on Casey was he was taking the race director job at I70 not sure what else. Wish him well.

11/26/22, 10:53 PM   #48
Vookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
USAC was there this year, Xtreme not. Also Volusia does not list xtreme on their schedule. Just NW sprints. All I heard on Casey was he was taking the race director job at I70 not sure what else. Wish him well.
https://xtremeoutlawseries.com/schedule/

11/27/22, 9:19 PM   #49
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post

You are definitely correct on the weather being an issue with the Gold Crown. I know that the first one that I wanted to attend was completely rained out. I was so excited for the race that I bought tickets ahead of time and received them in the mail. When they rained out, they asked if I wanted to use them for next year's race, and I said yes. Every night that I showed up with a year-old race ticket was a call on the radio to the front office.

However, the other problem was that POWRi got upset with USAC having success in their back yard and started to cross promote against it. There for a while I was really pissed at POWRi and stopped going to their shows because of them helping kill off the Gold Crown.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, Dale, luckybuc97
11/27/22, 11:45 PM   #50
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
You are definitely correct on the weather being an issue with the Gold Crown. I know that the first one that I wanted to attend was completely rained out. I was so excited for the race that I bought tickets ahead of time and received them in the mail. When they rained out, they asked if I wanted to use them for next year's race, and I said yes. Every night that I showed up with a year-old race ticket was a call on the radio to the front office.

However, the other problem was that POWRi got upset with USAC having success in their back yard and started to cross promote against it. There for a while I was really pissed at POWRi and stopped going to their shows because of them helping kill off the Gold Crown.
They didnt just cross promote, they ran at Little Belleville just across town. Quinn made both features one year.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No return visit to Huset's for USAC