IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No return visit to Huset's for USAC
11/23/22, 11:31 AM   #21
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Glad I made it this year. What an awesome facility. That being said, I’d rather it move somewhere closer like Oskaloosa. Big events are better on half miles. Unfortunately, not much support for USAC racing outside of Indiana these days and that doesn’t even include Terre Haute.

4 members like this post: Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, tirespinner
11/23/22, 1:51 PM   #22
Re: No return visit to Huset's for USAC
ginblueearth

Several years ago. I talked to Doug Johnson. About having a USAC show. Add Jackson Motor Plex. This was before.Tod Bought Husets. When I talk to Doug about it. I said, You also have to include. Poweri And Badger. Along with the non wing sprints. At that time, it fell on deaf ears. Then Matt Woods. Had the show at Husets And we all seen the end results of that. I pretty much knew. What was gonna happen after the first year? With the poor attendance. Of people in the stands and. A very good car count. Of both the Midgets and the non wingsprints. I was hoping the change of dates. To a Midsummer show would help. But it was the exact same turn out. And I knew it was done after that. So what didn't surprise me when I seen it was gone. From the schedule. For 2023. I have to give Matt Woods credit for trying. I don't think it would have made any difference if they would've had 50 cars in each class. The people up in this part of the country. Don't know what good racing is. All they care about is wingsprint cars. But I guess I have to say, there are good. Wing sprint car shows. But not near as good as the Midgets and non wingsprints. Guess I'm gonna have to save my pennies this winter. And make a few trips out to Indiana. Next summer. Probably try and Make Indiana Midget week. And probably try and start out the year down at Tulsa. And April. By the way, I just wanted to let everybody know. Very good possibility. There will only be. Three races at Jackson Motorplex this year. That will be the three day world of outlaw show. This came right from Tod. He claims Jackson is losing too much money. People don't support the race track. Really sad. He spent millions of dollars on that place. One of the nicest race tracks in the country. And it's just gonna sit there with no races. But there's a lot of race tracks in that situation. Hope things turn around for Dirt track Racing. I have my theory on what's wrong, but I won't go into that. Everybody has a safe winter. Glen Murra
Last edited by ginblueearth; 11/23/22 at 1:53 PM.

11/23/22, 2:32 PM   #23
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Glad I made it this year. What an awesome facility. That being said, I’d rather it move somewhere closer like Oskaloosa. Big events are better on half miles. Unfortunately, not much support for USAC racing outside of Indiana these days and that doesn’t even include Terre Haute.
How about Lucas Oil Speedway in Missouri, about half the distance than Husets.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: bighd0522, ginblueearth, tirespinner
11/23/22, 3:32 PM   #24
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
How about Lucas Oil Speedway in Missouri, about half the distance than Husets.
Lucas oil only has shows that they sponsor at their facility. Why you don't see the Outlaws there.
I think what killed the event was no local support. You just aren't going to draw enough traveling fans to make money.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 11/23/22 at 3:35 PM.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, mlamb, oldfan49, oppweld, tirespinner
11/23/22, 4:07 PM   #25
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Lucas oil only has shows that they sponsor at their facility. Why you don't see the Outlaws there.
I think what killed the event was no local support. You just aren't going to draw enough traveling fans to make money.
There is has been a two day POWRI/WAR show at Valley/Lucas Oil in early May that always is a great show. It has both POWRi midgets and WAR sprints. (both sponsored by Lucas Oil) Going from Valley to Lucas Oil is always an exercise in contrast.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
11/23/22, 5:27 PM   #26
yeleyfan76

I attended the first season and what a great event it was. Sadly the fan support was not there. I watched the second effort and the fan support again wasn’t there. After asking around I was informed most people of the region are wing sprint car fans and don’t really know much different. Sadly with very very little traveling fan support the event was doomed. Again after asking around I’ve been informed there is a little show in Knoxville every August that has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. I wonder if it’s only local fan support that drives this event to greater heights each year.

2 members like this post: ginblueearth, PIT CART
11/23/22, 8:55 PM   #27
flagboy55

Good point 76. It does make you scratch your head why that event keeps growing. It appears that it has more than local support. Never mind the fact that wing racing is way more popular than wingless. But as we all know quantity doesn’t always equal quality

4 members like this post: ginblueearth, Hubie48, luckybuc97, oppweld
11/24/22, 7:43 AM   #28
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Good point 76. It does make you scratch your head why that event keeps growing. It appears that it has more than local support. Never mind the fact that wing racing is way more popular than wingless. But as we all know quantity doesn’t always equal quality
No need to scratch your head… maybe you’ve been I don’t know but if you haven’t you should. The atmosphere is by far the most intense.
One reason the event is so successful is if you’re a race fan you can go and you can take your spouse who may not be a fan but they will have a good time. It’s more than a race, it’s an event that the whole town is backing

5 members like this post: dsc1600, flagboy55, PIT CART, progressive22, tirespinner
11/24/22, 10:51 AM   #29
flagboy55

Understood 748, I was applying a bit of sarcasm and reminding us all that we, those who prefer to go to wingless races, are a smaller portion of racing fandom. As we have covered many times here on IOW, I’m skeptical whether this type of event would ever take hold and grow regardless of venue and location. It’s been already proven that we really don’t care enough to drive past our local track in favor of a big national event, and our local track won’t close because they believe it’s in their best interest to race. But I sure hope someone does continue to try to put on a big event. And getting back to that, I would think it’s got way more chance of success back here towards the hub of non wing racing. I was thinking maybe Joliet might be a good spot. I have a little hope that racing may return there because they did finally run a demo around Halloween. Great facilities and a little further west if we think that would help get maybe some of the WAR type racer’s.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
11/24/22, 11:10 AM   #30
Scott Daloisio

With races being streamed and more and more fans taking advantage of that, traveling fans are are starting to become extinct. That is, with the exception of some of the longest running, historical events. Does not apply to everyone, but more and more fans are watching from home. Especially with gas and diesel prices and inflation.
Last edited by Scott Daloisio; 11/24/22 at 2:31 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No return visit to Huset's for USAC