IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No Larson at the Chili Bowl!
11/11/22, 8:53 PM   #21
Re: No Larson at the Chili Bowl!
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Well it hasn't existed since Casey Luna. But I digress, Sorry
Great New Mexico reference

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
11/12/22, 9:38 AM   #22
Hubie48

Chili Bowl? Oh, you mean that race they have in a building? Jaw dropping bravery I tell you

They should re-name it "Midget Lotto"

While it is difficult to win for sure, I fail to see the attraction other than it's cold as Hades and there is nothing other to do. Give me the "Hut Hundred" anyday.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, chrismattlin, Crankin, flagboy55, ossuks
11/12/22, 11:18 AM   #23
okie

with Larson out that opens up a chance for a spot in the A main for 20 or 30

2 members like this post: PIT CART, Stevensville Mike
11/12/22, 1:51 PM   #24
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
Chili Bowl? Oh, you mean that race they have in a building? Jaw dropping bravery I tell you

They should re-name it "Midget Lotto"

While it is difficult to win for sure, I fail to see the attraction other than it's cold as Hades and there is nothing other to do. Give me the "Hut Hundred" anyday.
Have you ever been there?
Its FUN!

11/12/22, 7:01 PM   #25
ossuks

Been There, it was cool, but, way over hyped. The feature is advertised at like 55 laps but is really 25 laps after they blow the slime off, 350 cars and 25 dfivers, and any thing inside is just entertainment. This event is very entertaining and a must see, but real racing takes place on a faster venue!

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Crankin, Hubie48
11/13/22, 9:51 AM   #26
Hubie48

No doubt it's a ton of fun. It's winter time and there isn't much else to do. It has grown substantially as I see folks selling parking passes and what not. I have never been but I'm sure that place fills up with exhaust fumes (yet smoking is no doubt prohibited)

It has never been worthy of all the praise IMO. It's an overblown lottery. Like running a donkey at the Kentucky Derby.

Could you imagine the entry and purse of the Chilli Bowl being held at a place like Kokomo? The one offs and "first timers"? The wrecker concession alone would be worth a fortune!

watching JMac come thru all those heat races a few years ago was super entertaining, for me it was the coolest thing that ever happened at the Chilli Bowl

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/13/22, 12:50 PM   #27
flagboy55

Hubie I agree with you. It’s important for me to say I love the Chili Bowl, but in my opinion it’s always been a bit of a novelty. Let’s face it, it’s great popularity is rooted in timing and circumstance. As many have pointed out, there’s nothing else going on race wise in this country, and that was even much more the case in its infancy stage. Guess what? Now there is something else going on, they’re racing Late Models in the desert, and our favorite son is electing to participate in that instead of racing where he ought to be. As stated previously, the CB is the only one that stands to lose in this scenario, but as many of us have said, it won’t be a tangible amount. My recommendation to all of you is to set up another TV with a Roku or fire stick and have both on. They both will be on Flo so you can watch both. And whoever said they would rather have the Hut Hundred back instead of the Chili Bowl, I concur

4 members like this post: Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, Midget98, spicoli
11/13/22, 2:28 PM   #28
revjimk

Quote:
No doubt it's a ton of fun. It's winter time and there isn't much else to do. It has grown substantially as I see folks selling parking passes and what not. I have never been but I'm sure that place fills up with exhaust fumes (yet smoking is no doubt prohibited)

It has never been worthy of all the praise IMO. It's an overblown lottery. Like running a donkey at the Kentucky Derby.

Could you imagine the entry and purse of the Chilli Bowl being held at a place like Kokomo? The one offs and "first timers"? The wrecker concession alone would be worth a fortune!

watching JMac come thru all those heat races a few years ago was super entertaining, for me it was the coolest thing that ever happened at the Chilli Bowl
They have pretty good ventilation now...
"It's an overblown lottery."???? Then why do the best drivers always win????

2 members like this post: cornerthree, Ken Bonnema
11/13/22, 7:30 PM   #29
Pitdad

Quote:

I always appreciate comments and critiques from someone who’s never been to the event.

11/13/22, 9:53 PM   #30
flagboy55

Thankfully I’ve been there, otherwise my opinion would be even more discounted than it already is

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No Larson at the Chili Bowl!