IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is this the end of THAT?
9/21/22, 10:31 PM   #41
Dirt Trackker

Vigo County Fair Board: Cancel the current contract, call Bob tomorrow and beg for TEI to return in ‘23 as promoter.

3 members like this post: Dale, Dirtfan, Ilovedirttrackracing
9/21/22, 10:51 PM   #42
DaleDuBois

The Terre Haute Action Track has had problems for years with the fair board, the promoters, the city (noise-dust-curfew) and the landowners of the track. I really think the fair board is wanting to move to a new location East of Terre Haute without a racetrack. Even without a track, the county fairs are not money makers. The only reason for county fairs at this time is that there have always been county fairs. I do think that the value of the land of where the track now sets is not worth as much as people think as several businesses in the area have folded. The land could end up as a housing project or a factory. For any promoter stepping in and attempting to have races is out of the question for making money.

9/22/22, 10:21 AM   #43
Re: Is this the end of THAT?
Rpracing1

Hope Ronk don't take his wall with him if he has schucked!

9/22/22, 10:24 AM   #44
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Why am I quoted in this?
I love THAT and like others, and like others, tired of the quarters. I like a couple a year at smaller tracks but Sprint Cars were made to run! What makes the Outlaws sell out? RARITY and big tracks.
Never said YOU didn't, just pointing out other possible factors.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/22/22, 10:33 AM   #45
B99

Did no one have an issue with a $5000 per event facility rental fee? Step back, take a look and follow the money. A privately held business with owners who could profit by the sale of the land, and potentially be buyers of that land. Are any of them involved in restaurant franchises, or perhaps a trucking company that could build a depot/distribution center, conveniently located near I70 and US 41.

$5000 a night plus the parking money, plus camping fees and perhaps a take of the concessions? Hard to see how the fair would not make money when a race is held. And, I can tell you that on nights when sprint week was held during the VIGO fair, it was the biggest crowds that sad fair had. Had there not been a race there would have been about 300 teenagers on the grounds just walking around.

Do I believe Ronk and Co spent 250K on improvements. Yes I do. But whatever they've done since then they are hardly the only guilty party in this fiasco, those fair board members have some responsibility as well. Remember, it was Fitzpatrick and Co that unceremoniously and rather suddenly kicked the previous promoter out, stating they felt Ronk's team could take it in a better direction. How's that working out?

9/22/22, 11:06 AM   #46
The Old Coyote

Just out of curiosity, who are the Fair Board members and are they elected or appointed? If they are appointed, by whom?

9/22/22, 11:10 AM   #47
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
The Terre Haute Action Track has had problems for years with the fair board, the promoters, the city (noise-dust-curfew) and the landowners of the track. I really think the fair board is wanting to move to a new location East of Terre Haute without a racetrack. Even without a track, the county fairs are not money makers. The only reason for county fairs at this time is that there have always been county fairs. I do think that the value of the land of where the track now sets is not worth as much as people think as several businesses in the area have folded. The land could end up as a housing project or a factory. For any promoter stepping in and attempting to have races is out of the question for making money.
Fair boards are political and blind. San Jose Speedway is a case in point. When the track moved to the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, the events were always money makers. In fact, it was the ONLY thing that made money at the fairgrounds. Now, it lays empty and even the grandstands have been removed.

9/22/22, 11:57 AM   #48
TQ29m

This is what I was trying to convey in my earlier post, it is a way for political interested people to come before the public, in a kind of way that doesn't cost them much money, but exposes them to lots of other people.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
9/22/22, 12:14 PM   #49
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Trackker View Post
Vigo County Fair Board: Cancel the current contract, call Bob tomorrow and beg for TEI to return in ‘23 as promoter.
It has become painfully obvious why Mr. Sargent walked without a 10 year contract.

9/22/22, 2:09 PM   #50
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Been going there since 1967 Hut 100 and witnessed a lot of drama.
Anyone remember Dave Allison?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is this the end of THAT?