IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Husets
7/8/22, 8:52 AM   #41
Re: Husets
ossuks

1- Just wondering why they can pay a bigger purse this week? 2-Why not every week? 3-Why does the Posse stay home? 4-Why are Pa. weekly crowds so large? I will take a shot at no.3 Solid Purse which leads to solid car counts which makes no. 4 easy ! So.... Back to no.1 Why this week and not every week?

1 member likes this post: yeleyfan76
7/8/22, 10:56 AM   #42
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
1- Just wondering why they can pay a bigger purse this week? 2-Why not every week? 3-Why does the Posse stay home? 4-Why are Pa. weekly crowds so large? I will take a shot at no.3 Solid Purse which leads to solid car counts which makes no. 4 easy ! So.... Back to no.1 Why this week and not every week?
To answer number 1, the promoter pays the extra money through ticket sales. It would be their choice to build a bigger purse. 2 If you did it every week it would not be a big deal. 3 I wish I understood this one. I think there are only so many teams that have the means to travel. Money, crew, time off from work etc. Unfortunately, a solid purse doesn't always equal a solid car count. Putnamville just had a 2 day show with the second night paying $10,000 to win. They had a great car count but faced no competition from any other Indiana tracks. Next Month Kokomo will host the Smackdown, with $20,000 to win, and that much in lap money. Preceded by 2 nights paying $6000 to win. They will get minimal cooperation from other tracks, including the one that just benefited from it.
One thing that I think hurts this weekend is there is no local support. I hope I am wrong, and that upper Midwest teams come and run. I hope local fans support it. Matt Wood deserves to make money. I hope it's a good weekend for everyone. With that said, I don't know of one team who did not travel that would have under any circumstances.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, oppweld, reeserx
7/8/22, 12:36 PM   #43
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
I would hope Robert Bell would be there.
He was last year!

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, racenut69
7/8/22, 1:42 PM   #44
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
He was last year!

Thanks Bub!

3 members like this post: mlamb, racenut69, wildman92
7/8/22, 2:03 PM   #45
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
To answer number 1, the promoter pays the extra money through ticket sales. It would be their choice to build a bigger purse. 2 If you did it every week it would not be a big deal. 3 I wish I understood this one. I think there are only so many teams that have the means to travel. Money, crew, time off from work etc. Unfortunately, a solid purse doesn't always equal a solid car count. Putnamville just had a 2 day show with the second night paying $10,000 to win. They had a great car count but faced no competition from any other Indiana tracks. Next Month Kokomo will host the Smackdown, with $20,000 to win, and that much in lap money. Preceded by 2 nights paying $6000 to win. They will get minimal cooperation from other tracks, including the one that just benefited from it.
One thing that I think hurts this weekend is there is no local support. I hope I am wrong, and that upper Midwest teams come and run. I hope local fans support it. Matt Wood deserves to make money. I hope it's a good weekend for everyone. With that said, I don't know of one team who did not travel that would have under any circumstances.
I'm surprised, when Ossuks pretty much answered his own question: Good local purses without the need for expensive & time consuming travel. Probably lots of them have jobs, & then there's always good old force of habit...

2 members like this post: Bostonian, PIT CART
7/8/22, 2:37 PM   #46
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Spot on with with 3 and 4. 1 and 2 are the reasons why it’s dying a slow death out there.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Those who complain the loudest and get their way about tix prices increasing by 5$ for a weekly show are the reason the purse doesn’t go up. Therefore car counts and quality go down and tracks begin to shutter.
Pa does not worry about where the outlaws run every wknd because they have their own deal. When WoO comes in purses and tix prices go up and then go back to normal the next week. In Indiana the weekly tracks/crowd are hoping for the Usac guys to come race so they don’t have to pay extra for a National race.
In the coming seasons it’s my belief the new sheriff in town will have good purses/team benefits and a contract about not running local 1500+ to win shows. If the local fan base wants to pay 1990s tix prices then expect less than stellar racing.

7/8/22, 2:45 PM   #47
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Spot on with with 3 and 4. 1 and 2 are the reasons why it’s dying a slow death out there.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Those who complain the loudest and get their way about tix prices increasing by 5$ for a weekly show are the reason the purse doesn’t go up. Therefore car counts and quality go down and tracks begin to shutter.
Pa does not worry about where the outlaws run every wknd because they have their own deal. When WoO comes in purses and tix prices go up and then go back to normal the next week. In Indiana the weekly tracks/crowd are hoping for the Usac guys to come race so they don’t have to pay extra for a National race.
In the coming seasons it’s my belief the new sheriff in town will have good purses/team benefits and a contract about not running local 1500+ to win shows. If the local fan base wants to pay 1990s tix prices then expect less than stellar racing.
You bring up some good points. One thing you missed is a lot of teams don't support the higher paying shows either. One thing I noticed during the Eastern Storm was at Williams Grove, there were more wingless cars than wing cars.

7/8/22, 3:20 PM   #48
flagboy55

Arrived in Brandon. At someone’s recommendation having lunch at Boiling Point 212. 👍heading to the track soon

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, duel, PIT CART
7/8/22, 3:23 PM   #49
JDK222

I think 5% of the non wing cars in Indiana care about big money to win shows, and 95% care what it pays to start. The reality is only about 5% can win those shows. If you look at most purses they fall off so fast after 3rd or 5th. 95% know they aren’t going to win the big show but 75% think they can make the show. Does anyone honestly think someone other than Grant, Bacon, Seavey, Ballou, Leary, or Axsom is going to win tonight? Now there are certainly others capable of winning but this is based on who I believe are making the trip. So it makes it very difficult for someone to spend all that money traveling that far when your a weekend racer and have a job. I don’t have the answer on how to fix it. NASCAR is doing it by basically distributing the money evenly through the field. I’m not sure that’s a good idea either. But don’t fault weekend racers for not being able to travel and not supporting races. I will stick with my prediction for tonight and we will see if I’m right or wrong.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, spicoli, TQ29m
7/8/22, 4:57 PM   #50
cornerthree

Sadly I won't be there to share a beer. Sometimes life gets in the way. But I will be watching after last year in person this sucks. And you won't be disapointed in the racing. Hopefully the car count is better this race needs to grow.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, flagboy55, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Husets