IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tulsa Shootout - entries. Also Kyle Busch racing 4 divisions
12/30/21, 9:58 AM   #11
Re: Tulsa Shootout - entries. Also Kyle Busch racing 4 divis
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcweld View Post
Not a bad deal 1690x$ 125 entry fee.
(211,250) just in entry fees.
Those entry fees may have just paid for the lease on the building. Everyone likes to talk about how much money they bring in, but no one talks about how much money it cost.

12/30/21, 11:10 AM   #12
flagboy55

Great point 74. In fact I was in the process of a post about that last night but my eyelids got in the way. I’m sure the overhead for this event is HUGE! Are they making money? I’m sure they are. We probably will never know. It would be nice if we did but I’m not sure it’s anyone’s business but the people involved. I’ve often wondered about their deal with the Expo. Is it municipally owned? I would think that Tulsa would not ever want to lose what has to be a boon to their economy every January

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
12/30/21, 11:37 AM   #13
ISF

A group of us went on the bus trip out to the Zink Ranch 3 years ago. Following the spaghetti luncheon Emmett Hahn took questions from the audience for a half hour or so. Someone asked about the expense regarding the building. I'm depending on memory here but I believe he stated that the rental for the building was just short of 1/4 million at that time. I'm sure that amount increases on a regular basis.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, Ken Bonnema
12/30/21, 12:00 PM   #14
The Old Coyote

[quote=nathans1012;547461]Tulsa Shootout - Record number of entries. Entries per division in picture attached below.

Is there some place that shows a comparison of these five classes?
Engine, Engine Modifications, Winged or Non-wing, Wing Size, Tires, Shocks, Cockpit Controls.

12/30/21, 12:19 PM   #15
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

What I heard years ago was The Shootout covers the expenses, and The Chillibowl, for the most part was all profit.

3 members like this post: CRA91, jdull99, TQ97
12/30/21, 12:25 PM   #16
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Great point 74. In fact I was in the process of a post about that last night but my eyelids got in the way. I’m sure the overhead for this event is HUGE! Are they making money? I’m sure they are. We probably will never know. It would be nice if we did but I’m not sure it’s anyone’s business but the people involved. I’ve often wondered about their deal with the Expo. Is it municipally owned? I would think that Tulsa would not ever want to lose what has to be a boon to their economy every January
The Tulsa Expo Center is owned by Tulsa County and is leased to and operated by the Tulsa County Public Facilities Authority (TCPFA). We love to manage public endeavors (fairgrounds, hospitals, turnpikes, hydroelectric dams, etc.) in Oklahoma with "authorities" because it allows us to hide public money and power in quasi-governmental agencies that don't fall directly under public control...

BUT, to answer your question, YES, the City of Tulsa and the County of Tulsa know what they have in The Shootout and The Chili Bowl. It's not quite as prolific as Indy, but when you arrive at the Tulsa Airport in late December and early January, you know there's a big racing event happening. Maybe one day they'll actually get temporary car displays like they have at the Indy airport, but for that to happen, Emmett is going to have to hang around a little longer.

Why does this happen you may next ask? Because The Shootout and The Chili Bowl have been PROMOTED by a professional PROMOTOR for the past 35+ years. Emmett (and Lanny) called on city and county officials, politicians, civic and business organizations and media outlets to PROMOTE their events, thus ensuring that these entities clearly understood the VALUE that these events serve to meeting their mutual goals. Selling is all about understanding what your customer "wants", what is a "win" for them. Selling "racing" to politicians, city leaders, business leaders and local media is about selling tourism, prestige, revenue, and public interest. They don't care about "racing cars" or fierce on-track competition. They care about:

1. How many people will visit our city and spend their out-of-town money at our businesses?
2. Is this a noteworthy event that can gain our city/county/state notoriety?
3. Can I get media ratings for reporting on the event (thus driving up my advertising revenue)?

They would be just as happy for the Expo Center to be used for a world class cow chip throwing competition if it brings in thousands out-of-town guest who spend thousands of dollars a day for a week, and gets dozens of media outlets talking about how "Tulsa is the place to be if you like..."

Will it always be like this? NO. You have to work every year to remind these people why it is important to them. Politicians get voted out (thankfully). Officials retire and are replaced by new people. Public sentiment shifts. You constantly have to remind people why what you're doing is important and why it benefits THEIR true interests. The "racing" is only of interest to us. Our willingness to travel to Tulsa annually and spend money at the Expo Center for $8 beers and $15 shots and $10 chicken strip baskets (these are 2019 prices, I'm sure they'll be significantly higher this year...) are the reason the TCPFA like The Shootout and The Chili Bowl. Our willingness to spend hundreds of dollars at all the local hotels and motels is the reason the Metro Tulsa Hotel and Lodging Association and their members love The Shootout and The Chili Bowl. Our joy in spending hundreds of dollars at local restaurants is the reason the Oklahoma Restaurant Association and their members embrace The Shootout and The Chili Bowl. Our unbridled passion to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on entertainment after a night of racing is the reason the Lipstick Cabaret loves The Chili Bowl.

So you see, successful race promotion isn't JUST about a tacky, two groove track.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, mc/rider, oppweld, sw1911
12/30/21, 12:37 PM   #17
Pitdad

[quote=The Old Coyote;547501]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Tulsa Shootout - Record number of entries. Entries per division in picture attached below.

Is there some place that shows a comparison of these five classes?
Engine, Engine Modifications, Winged or Non-wing, Wing Size, Tires, Shocks, Cockpit Controls.
Basically, Jr Sprints are a class all to themselves. Smaller, specialized chassis (smaller than micro, different from a QM or a caged kart), 8" wheels, B&S World Formula engines.

Micro 600 restrictor, A-Class, non-wing, outlaw and non-wing outlaw are all the same micro 600 chassis with side mounted 4-cylinder, water-cooled, chain driven motorcycle engines. 10" wheels. Restrictor, A-Class and non-wing are all "stock" engines with either carburetors or factory electronic injection. Restrictors and A-Class run wings, non-wing (obviously?) do not. Restrictors have calibrated restrictors installed in the intake to reduce the airflow.

Outlaw and non-wing outlaw are allowed 2 millimeter overbore, ported heads, mechanical or electronic fuel injection and cockpit adjustable everything. The Outlaw wing is bigger than the A-Class.

3 members like this post: duel, jdull99, sw1911
12/30/21, 1:18 PM   #18
The Old Coyote

[quote=Pitdad;547505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coyote View Post

Basically, Jr Sprints are a class all to themselves. Smaller, specialized chassis (smaller than micro, different from a QM or a caged kart), 8" wheels, B&S World Formula engines.

Micro 600 restrictor, A-Class, non-wing, outlaw and non-wing outlaw are all the same micro 600 chassis with side mounted 4-cylinder, water-cooled, chain driven motorcycle engines. 10" wheels. Restrictor, A-Class and non-wing are all "stock" engines with either carburetors or factory electronic injection. Restrictors and A-Class run wings, non-wing (obviously?) do not. Restrictors have calibrated restrictors installed in the intake to reduce the airflow.

Outlaw and non-wing outlaw are allowed 2 millimeter overbore, ported heads, mechanical or electronic fuel injection and cockpit adjustable everything. The Outlaw wing is bigger than the A-Class.
Thanks, Pitdad, that was very helpful and make my viewing more interesting. I like the cars as much as the racing in all forms of racing.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jdull99, sw1911
12/30/21, 1:29 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/30/21 at 1:31 PM.

12/30/21, 1:59 PM   #20
Pitdad

And remember the drivers of those Jr Sprints are 6-11 years old, and restrictors are 8-16.

1 member likes this post: jdull99
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tulsa Shootout - entries. Also Kyle Busch racing 4 divisions