IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sesco Mopar Info Needed.
6/10/21, 8:19 AM   #1
Sesco Mopar Info Needed.
Phl80

I posted this a few weeks ago and have gotten nowhere. So I'm reaching out again. Does anyone out there know how to adjust the timing and how it all work as far as the timing goes on this type Engine? It has an aluminum round generator/magneto that is on the back of the block with 2 wires coming out of it which leads to coil packs. There are slots on the mount so I assume that's how you adjust the timing, however I see no Mark's or anywhere to check with a timing light. Trying to make sense of this Engine that I know nothing about. Thanks

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
6/10/21, 11:15 PM   #2
Radicle

Slide the torque bell housing back & see if TDC is marked on the crank flange and if not pull all spark plugs & insert a positive stop in #1 cylinder Mark the block just above the crank flange for a timing mark Rotate engine until it stops & Mark crank flange at timing Mark Rotate in the opposite direction until it stops & Mark at timing Mark Measure distance & divided by 2 = TDC & Mark Measure diameter of crank flange Mark a circle on paper then use a degree wheel & Mark at 35• BTDC & measure distancebetween TDC & BTDC Mark on crank flange Drill a hole .625 in collar exactly at TDC where Mark will show through hole Check with timing light & see how close 35• BTDC is 4000 + rpm If electronic ignition ther should be a pick up somewhere on the crank end front or rear it could be inside the magneto or generator that you said was at the back of motor with the 2 wires coming out of it
Last edited by Radicle; 6/14/21 at 12:40 PM.

1 member likes this post: Phl80
6/11/21, 4:49 AM   #3
Re: Sesco Mopar Info Needed.
jdull99

I am going to feel terrible if the answer to my question isn't good, but isn't Ron Hoettels available for technical advice? He was GREAT at taking my phone calls and gave me a tour of his shop when I was looking to rent one of his engines about 15 years ago (I was never able to).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: John P Huss, Phl80
6/14/21, 12:20 AM   #4
Phl80

Thanks so much. I'm going to get all this checked tomorrow. I also received a PM from someone with a similar approach. I knew someone would know.

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sesco Mopar Info Needed.