IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The biggest Kokomo crowd
4/10/21, 10:42 AM   #1
The biggest Kokomo crowd
flagboy55

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have to say, I was part of a historical event last night at the wonderful Kokomo Speedway. I don’t know what the capacity is at this venue but looked to this observer that the amount of people exceeded that and then some. I’ve been going to Kokomo since the middle 70’s when we stopped there for the first time on the way home from a USAC race at New Bremen or Winchester. I haven’t seen all the big races there but I have seen some big one’s, but nothing like this. We always park along Davis road to the north of the track and last October cars were parked almost to the first intersection. Well last night cars were parked well north of the crossroad. The beer cooler was empty a good portion of the time as we joked that they were probably out robbing liquor stores for product not cash as they kept rolling it in dolly by dolly. As always Kokomo did not disappoint with fantastic racing as always. Hopefully we can duplicate this when USAC comes to town

4/10/21, 11:20 AM   #2
PIT CART

Yes I couldn’t believe it myself. Never thought I would watch a sprint car race on dirt vision while at the track. Kinda reminds me of going to the Indy 500 and looking at the jumbo trons. I think the next time the outlaws come I will sit it out. Really happy for Kokomo speedway I wish all local tracks could have a race like this.

5 members like this post: duel, flagboy55, oppweld, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
4/10/21, 3:20 PM   #3
dsc1600

It’s kind of surprising to see this race become one of the best attended dirt races in the state. I think they’ve found a good formula, early or late in the year, hope for good weather and you’ll get a great crowd.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
4/10/21, 3:35 PM   #4
Re: The biggest Kokomo crowd
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Getting to see both types of sprint cars is such a treat. Everyone satisfied. I was happy to pay $40 to see a show like this.

4/10/21, 4:34 PM   #5
flagboy55

Other than Mario Clouser to me the wingless portion was rather benign rolling the bottom. Mario struck a line late in the race we’ve seen Big Daddy and others make famous there. Getting into 3 over the cushion and turning it down across the track. To bad he didn’t catch that earlier

4/10/21, 5:18 PM   #6
Monkey

Covid breeding ground

4/10/21, 5:46 PM   #7
Mrs G
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Covid breeding ground
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the board! I’m going to take this time to encourage others to avoid taking the bait and continue on with your discussion!

4/10/21, 5:49 PM   #8
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Covid breeding ground
Well.... yes. That goes without saying.

After 2020 and the medical, political, social, religious, and economical aspects of this virus, it is only obvious that society is going to continue on this year in one way shape or form. What was the right call? What was the wrong call? We are all learning as we go. The calls will continue to come. We'll figure out who did what right and wrong decades from now when all of the data is in. But for now, we are ad-libbing.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Your first post! May you live a long and happy membership here, friend! We're a good group of fans.

5 members like this post: Bill Angel, fish, flagboy55, mc/rider, racenut69
4/10/21, 5:53 PM   #9
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs G View Post
I see this is your first post. Welcome to the board! I’m going to take this time to encourage others to avoid taking the bait and continue on with your discussion!
Yeah. Don't we have a "Do Not Feed The Troll" sign around here, somewhere?

Jerry

Winston Churchill

4/10/21, 6:07 PM   #10
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Well ladies and gentlemen, I have to say, I was part of a historical event last night at the wonderful Kokomo Speedway. I don’t know what the capacity is at this venue but looked to this observer that the amount of people exceeded that and then some. I’ve been going to Kokomo since the middle 70’s when we stopped there for the first time on the way home from a USAC race at New Bremen or Winchester. I haven’t seen all the big races there but I have seen some big one’s, but nothing like this. We always park along Davis road to the north of the track and last October cars were parked almost to the first intersection. Well last night cars were parked well north of the crossroad. The beer cooler was empty a good portion of the time as we joked that they were probably out robbing liquor stores for product not cash as they kept rolling it in dolly by dolly. As always Kokomo did not disappoint with fantastic racing as always. Hopefully we can duplicate this when USAC comes to town
I've been going to Kokomo since the 1960's and it was definitely the biggest crowd I've ever seen there.

I'm not sure if it would be the biggest ever or not. There was at one time grandstands completely around the outside of the track. I've heard stories about midget shows in the 1950's when these grandstands were completely packed. They also used to allow spectators in the infield too. I can remember as a kid many times watching guys scatter as a spinning car chased them across the infield.

3 members like this post: duel, fish, Speedmax3
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The biggest Kokomo crowd