IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stewart-Haas Racing
7/9/08, 12:27 PM   #21
Re: Stewart-Haas Racing
psullivan

When I was a young faculty member at Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State) I was recruited by the University of Illinois near the end of my first year in Springfield. I went to my boss and told him and he said "You had better talke to Don (the Dean) but he is going to be pissed. So I did. Don got from behind his desk and pulled up a chair next to mine and said, "Pat do you mind if I give you a piece of advice?" I said of course not. He said, "Patrick, institutions always want you to be loyal to them, but in the end they are rarely loyal to you. Manage your career they way you see fit."

The way I see it is that Tony is managing his career - and last time I look - institutions (race teams) fire drivers every single day.

7/9/08, 1:00 PM   #22
D.O.

Rumor is Chevy paid Gibbs to buy Stewart out of his contract.
It's suppose to be announced tomorrow at Chicago.
Stewart-Haas Racing with Office Depot and I hear Bass Pro.
I also heard 76 million for primary sponsor kicked around.
The driver of the #1 is also being considered as a teamate too.
If #1 doesn't go with the deal he goes to JGR.
As mentioned before it's all about the money.
:dologob:

7/9/08, 1:00 PM   #23
AlkyMadness

In today's corporate world, loyalty is a one way street. Employees can bust their asses for a company for years and help them earn millions, and then, for a few dollars savings, the company will put them on the street and move the jobs to Mexico/China/India.

Anyone who stays loyal to a company and doesn't try to better themselves is a fool.

Reserve your loyalty for family and friends.

Good luck to Tony and Ryan. Can't shed any tears for Joe Gibbs. I mean he's only left with Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano.

I'm more curious as to who will replace Newman at Penske. Maybe they will just shrink back to a two car team.

Of course, I don't hear anyone shedding any tears for Scott Riggs or Joe Nemechek. Doesn't this mean they are now out of a job?

7/9/08, 1:54 PM   #24
Shawn

Well, the most "concrete" thing that I've heard is that Stewart/Haas Racing will field two Chevrolet's in '09, but that's about it.

I'm reading and hearing that Smoke's car will have two different sponsors, much like Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s machine. The two sponsors will be Office Depot and Old Spice. The second car from Stewart/Haas Racing will be sponsored by Jack Daniels, with Ryan Newman driving it. I read early on that Truex or Newman would be the driver, but Newman has since been the reported new-hire.

Stewart/Haas Racing can land Jack Daniels because they're being replaced at RCR by UPS, on the Clint Bowyer car. This hasn't been nearly reported like the Office Depot sponsorship.

The mention of Truex, plus the ties with Tony, Bass Pro Shops came into the rumor mill. However, I've not heard much about them, since the beginning. I don't think that you can count out Bass Pro Shops, Armor All and Subway to be involved somehow. I really unsure of Office Depot as a major sponsor for the long haul, but I could be wrong.

They're also reporting that Tony will drive #14, but I'm holding out hope that he might go back to his roots and pick #81. He's driven that number in the Busch Series before, plus his first TQ Midget ride was in the Barker #81.

I guess we'll all find out soon enough...

7/9/08, 5:24 PM   #25
Redbone

It's gonna be hard to imagine Stewart without the #20. He's practically tied at the hip that number going back to the Niebel ride.

7/10/08, 10:52 AM   #26
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
When I was a young faculty member at Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State) I was recruited by the University of Illinois near the end of my first year in Springfield. I went to my boss and told him and he said "You had better talke to Don (the Dean) but he is going to be pissed. So I did. Don got from behind his desk and pulled up a chair next to mine and said, "Pat do you mind if I give you a piece of advice?" I said of course not. He said, "Patrick, institutions always want you to be loyal to them, but in the end they are rarely loyal to you. Manage your career they way you see fit."

The way I see it is that Tony is managing his career - and last time I look - institutions (race teams) fire drivers every single day.
Very well put Professor!:respect:

How is "Haas" pronounced? 'Hoss' or 'Hays'?

7/10/08, 10:55 AM   #27
MWestfallfan54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbr View Post
Very well put Professor!:respect:

How is "Haas" pronounced? 'Hoss' or 'Hays'?
it is pronounced hoss.

7/10/08, 11:18 AM   #28
keving

"Haas" I run a Haas CNC everyday..

7/10/08, 11:22 AM   #29
Bill Gardner
Administrator

A brilliant move by Stewart...

He takes care of his future after racing and all them crazy nascar fans will be spending a fortune on new merchandise.

7/10/08, 11:33 AM   #30
Murray

Now, only if every other toyota driver would follow suit.
Okokok, did you lose your job at Home Depot over this matter? I think this will open more doors for the young dirt drivers out there that show potential. Tony hasn't forgotten where he came from reguardless of how much money is involved. You act like the influence of money is something new. It's racing and it isn't free, the more control you have over a market, the more money you make. I guess haters will just keep on hatin'.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stewart-Haas Racing