IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season
1/1/18, 11:21 AM   #41
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I met a guy who claimed to have been to 600 tracks...seemed honest enough! I went to 3 tracks as a kid, took a break for 40 years (!) & starting going to dirt track races again in 2010. Been to 30 tracks so far, have to travel cause Colorado is far from a hotbed
Pretty cool that you came back after 40 years! That is probably about the longest break I've heard of...😜

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, davidm, Stevensville Mike
1/1/18, 4:01 PM   #42
Re: Your 2017 Race Season
BrentTFunk

Even with too many rain outs, I was able to hit 49 races this year. I have been going to quite a few races a year since 1982. I do not remember seeing more good races than this year. I did not see one bad show. I could not narrow it down to a top 5, but managed to pick my top 6.
6. Eldora May 12 USAC Sprints Been going to Eldora since 1982. That was the best race I have ever seen there.
5. Lawrenceburg June 10 USAC MidgetWeek A great race with many lead changes.
4. Terre Haute October 14 Another great race at Terre Haute, one of the best I have seen there.
3. Kokomo Klash night 1 Fantastic action from heats to feature
2. Montpelier September 29 USAC Sprints Great action from start to finish, with a great finish. Best surface I have seen there.
1. Kokomo USAC Sprint Smackdown One of the top 5 races I have ever seen.
Honorable mention goes to Terre Haute September 15 USAC Sprints, Waynesfield August 5 BOSS Jack Hewitt classic, December 16 Duquoin Junior Knepper 55 USAC midgets, March 18 Duquoin Shamrock Classic USAC Midgets.
Any other year any of the shows in my honorable mention list could have been race of the year. Sadly I had to miss the 2 Haubstadt USAC Sprint photo finishes or my list may have been different. Here's to a safe, great 2018

1/1/18, 4:41 PM   #43
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
Pretty cool that you came back after 40 years! That is probably about the longest break I've heard of...😜
Well, we moved from NYC to Shenandoah Valley of Virginny from 1960-66 (just south of Central Pa.) & I would bug my old man to take me to the dirt track races (the old coupes: jalopies, sportsmen, modifieds) In 1966 we moved back North, I went to 2 races on pavement & lost all interest. In 2010 I was visiting in upstate NYC, a friend gave me a Circle Track magazine that mentioned Central Pa. sprint scene. I was heading to southern Pa. the next day, looked for a race on the Internet (Clinton County, Pa, winged 360s, Gravel was just a beginner) When those cars accelerated out of the first turn, I was hooked. Next race for me was Sammy winning WG National Open
Took me a while to figure out I preferred wingless cars in a bullring... inspired by watching videos of Kokomo. Then I started going to Indiana...

1/1/18, 5:21 PM   #44
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo47 View Post
Its an interesting site, though numbers can be a little deceiving. Check tracks like Salem Indiana or Toledo Ohio on his list. They managed to count both of those tracks 4 times each due to figure 8 configurations, etc... Still impressive though
Well, i certainly don't share their obsession with going to hundreds of tracks, but its fun to see new ones & explore the good ole USA. Lots of them are in pretty scenic places. Last year i took the little St. Genevieve (?)ferry across the Mississippi to get from Farmington track to BelleClair (way cool!) I was just looking at Google Map photos of Fonda track in upstate NY... right next to Mohawk River, beautiful.... I'd like to check it out, maybe I can find a NY track thats not a follow the leader modified emporium....
Actually 2 yrs. ago (ferry ride)... its 2018!

1/1/18, 5:23 PM   #45
Kydehart

Quote:
Well, we moved from NYC to Shenandoah Valley of Virginny from 1960-66 (just south of Central Pa.) & I would bug my old man to take me to the dirt track races (the old coupes: jalopies, sportsmen, modifieds) In 1966 we moved back North, I went to 2 races on pavement & lost all interest. In 2010 I was visiting in upstate NYC, a friend gave me a Circle Track magazine that mentioned Central Pa. sprint scene. I was heading to southern Pa. the next day, looked for a race on the Internet (Clinton County, Pa, winged 360s, Gravel was just a beginner) When those cars accelerated out of the first turn, I was hooked. Next race for me was Sammy winning WG National Open
Took me a while to figure out I preferred wingless cars in a bullring... inspired by watching videos of Kokomo. Then I started going to Indiana...
That's a pretty cool story of you regaining your interest in motorsports. I think sprint cars can be interesting to anyone. I've been hooked as long as I can remember. I was raised at dirt tracks on open wheel stuff, 100% traditional nonwing stuff. Other than going to IMS every May that was all I knew. Saw world of outlaws on tv back in the 90s but I didn't see my first winged sprint car race until the very first Let's Race Two at Eldora, and I enjoy them just as much.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Stevensville Mike
1/1/18, 5:28 PM   #46
toledo47

Quote:
Well, i certainly don't share their obsession with going to hundreds of tracks, but its fun to see new ones & explore the good ole USA. Lots of them are in pretty scenic places. Last year i took the little St. Genevieve (?)ferry across the Mississippi to get from Farmington track to BelleClair (way cool!) I was just looking at Google Map photos of Fonda track in upstate NY... right next to Mohawk River, beautiful.... I'd like to check it out, maybe I can find a NY track thats not a follow the leader modified emporium....
I agree, I love going to different tracks! Its always a fun new experience. I've been to over 150, have even made it out to one in your home state Colorado for a race!
I just don't get why they would count places like Toledo Speedway or Salem Speedway as 4 separate tracks on 1 persons list...

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtinmynachos, Kydehart
1/1/18, 5:29 PM   #47
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
That's a pretty cool story of you regaining your interest in motorsports. I think sprint cars can be interesting to anyone. I've been hooked as long as I can remember. I was raised at dirt tracks on open wheel stuff, 100% traditional nonwing stuff. Other than going to IMS every May that was all I knew. Saw world of outlaws on tv back in the 90s but I didn't see my first winged sprint car race until the very first Let's Race Two at Eldora, and I enjoy them just as much.
I always knew about sprint cars, but never got a chance to see them until 2010... I was curious. I did see WoO back in the 80s (90s?) on TV too

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
1/1/18, 5:31 PM   #48
revjimk

deleted
Last edited by revjimk; 1/1/18 at 5:35 PM.

1/1/18, 5:37 PM   #49
revjimk

Quote:
Crossing the Mighty Mississippi. I was the only car, ferry held 9. Sign said "If ferry is on the other side, flash lights" Must have been a narrow stretch of river... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=2048%2C1365

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, i love dirt track racing, Kydehart
1/1/18, 5:40 PM   #50
revjimk

Fonda Speedway, Mohawk River, bucket list: https://bangshift.com/wp-content/upl...5/05/fonda.png

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Kydehart
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your 2017 Race Season