IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing
9/14/16, 9:05 PM   #11
addictedtodirt

Millstream already has a big paying show on their schedule. It's October 15th. Plenty of time for you keyboard jockeys to plan and show up.

4 members like this post: FrankR63, PIT CART, stealth43k, tirespinner
9/14/16, 9:43 PM   #12
Tall Jackson

I would love to see a BOSS Ohio Speedweek. Attica, Fremont, Lima, Millstream, The Field, Atomic, and Eldora.

9/14/16, 10:13 PM   #13
Re: Usac/boss/nonwing
Sandy Lowe

Why would a track want a USAC/BOSS co-sanction race when they can be a little selective on choosing their date and just have a BOSS race for a LOT less money?

A BOSS feature purse for 22 cars is only around $9,000 or so (not certain what their standard purse is since I couldn't find it on their website). A standard USAC feature purse for 22 cars is $21,450. That's an extra $12,000 plus.

Also, USAC mandates an insurance policy at their races with excess medical coverage of $200,000. I am sure that is a hefty extra expense as well.

Just run a BOSS race.

9/15/16, 12:00 AM   #14
flagboy55

I have not yet been to a BOSS race but I will if I get the chance. Nothing at all against them but the reason you would run a USAC race over a BOSS race is cause you want the best of the best with the best equipment. It's really that simple.
I would think they are probably not as worried about each other as us fans might think. However, nothing but good could come from working together for the betterment of the sport. Racing is littered with sanction body conflicts that rarely produced anything positive

3 members like this post: captrat, oppweld, tirespinner
9/15/16, 1:16 AM   #15
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
Why would a track want a USAC/BOSS co-sanction race when they can be a little selective on choosing their date and just have a BOSS race for a LOT less money?

A BOSS feature purse for 22 cars is only around $9,000 or so (not certain what their standard purse is since I couldn't find it on their website). A standard USAC feature purse for 22 cars is $21,450. That's an extra $12,000 plus.

Also, USAC mandates an insurance policy at their races with excess medical coverage of $200,000. I am sure that is a hefty extra expense as well.

Just run a BOSS race.
With what has happened in our sport don"t the insurance sound pretty nice? Just run a Boss race I guess if someone get hurt I guess maybe at the next race Boss will pas the helmit

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, FishBurger, flagboy55, Jbaldwin, tirespinner
9/15/16, 1:19 AM   #16
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
I have not yet been to a BOSS race but I will if I get the chance. Nothing at all against them but the reason you would run a USAC race over a BOSS race is cause you want the best of the best with the best equipment. It's really that simple.
I would think they are probably not as worried about each other as us fans might think. However, nothing but good could come from working together for the betterment of the sport. Racing is littered with sanction body conflicts that rarely produced anything positive
I guess you haven"t been to a USAC/MSCS race either Seems to be a pretty positive thing as its large car counts and dam good racing

9/15/16, 1:20 AM   #17
treecitytornado

Get a S.T.I.D.A. policy from Robbie Rice! I don't race without it!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge
9/15/16, 1:21 AM   #18
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I've seen BOSS at Limaland, Burg twice, Waynesfield, Portsmouth, Atomic and Millstream Boss Shows this year with plans for the Sprintacular. Car counts have averaged about 35 for these shows with the low being Portsmouth (Which was a great show and the fans ate it up on the Eldora Size track with no haulers in the infield. And it had 26 running 113mph laps. on the track with four classes that never took rubber.) I plan on Sprintacular and may skip the four crown in favor of Atomic.

I've seen USAC at Burg twice, LPS and Bloomington and the almost BOSS format BC show at Kokomo. with plans to see Burg 3 and possibly the four crown. I also caught the Midget Week show at Montpelier. All shows had good car counts so no problem there.

I like both and for different reasons. Yes, USAC carries the best with a couple full time racers and the purses are more in line for that. I love qualifying and the invert too.

However I love BOSS format. The more cars, the more racing you see. Locals can and often win. Even some who never ran non wing before run good and several from tracks that have run wing exclusively take the wing off and run. There are up and comers like Cooper Clouse, Chad Wilson and others. and long time vets like Dustin Smith and Steve Irwin. But they run what they brung. Most don't have the 60k Gaerte. In fact some run 360s and 305s with Kody Swanson often in the top five with a 360

I don't know the whole reason and certainly don't blame current USAC leadership, But for some reason USAC except Eldora just kinda dissapeared in Ohio and PA. Staab worked well over a year to get the Eastern Storm which has expanded and pays more now and now they even got a midget week with ARDC. Are there tracks in Ohio that could support USAC? CERTAINLY. But IMHO BOSS has non wing traditional racing growing and growing steadily. Mainly by guys being able to run some used tires and not have the monster motor, They even give the top two teams on each brand a free RR each race.

USAC needs growing feeder racing and BOSS is the epitome of it. While some guys are long time vets and many track champions included. There are young guns cutting their teeth and finishing up front on ability. It's a confidence builder. There's been several father and son teams both racing in it. And some brothers.

All I can say is go to both, I enjoy both. Nothing there saying that a track can't put up some extra $$$ for a BOSS race, But the starting rate of a USAC show i estimate to be over 25k. Something thats a serious consideration for a track, Especially ones that don't run regular Non Wing if at all.

2 members like this post: Can26, dshort36
9/15/16, 2:09 AM   #19
flagboy55

Jim I think you need to re-read my post. I said NOTHING BUT GOOD could come from working together for the betterment of the sport. I've seen MSCS , not sure if I've been to a co-sanction race with them and USAC, but I certainly would embrace it

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/15/16, 2:38 AM   #20
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I've seen BOSS at Limaland, Burg twice, Waynesfield, Portsmouth, Atomic and Millstream Boss Shows this year with plans for the Sprintacular. Car counts have averaged about 35 for these shows with the low being Portsmouth (Which was a great show and the fans ate it up on the Eldora Size track with no haulers in the infield. And it had 26 running 113mph laps. on the track with four classes that never took rubber.) I plan on Sprintacular and may skip the four crown in favor of Atomic.

I've seen USAC at Burg twice, LPS and Bloomington and the almost BOSS format BC show at Kokomo. with plans to see Burg 3 and possibly the four crown. I also caught the Midget Week show at Montpelier. All shows had good car counts so no problem there.

I like both and for different reasons. Yes, USAC carries the best with a couple full time racers and the purses are more in line for that. I love qualifying and the invert too.

However I love BOSS format. The more cars, the more racing you see. Locals can and often win. Even some who never ran non wing before run good and several from tracks that have run wing exclusively take the wing off and run. There are up and comers like Cooper Clouse, Chad Wilson and others. and long time vets like Dustin Smith and Steve Irwin. But they run what they brung. Most don't have the 60k Gaerte. In fact some run 360s and 305s with Kody Swanson often in the top five with a 360

I don't know the whole reason and certainly don't blame current USAC leadership, But for some reason USAC except Eldora just kinda dissapeared in Ohio and PA. Staab worked well over a year to get the Eastern Storm which has expanded and pays more now and now they even got a midget week with ARDC. Are there tracks in Ohio that could support USAC? CERTAINLY. But IMHO BOSS has non wing traditional racing growing and growing steadily. Mainly by guys being able to run some used tires and not have the monster motor, They even give the top two teams on each brand a free RR each race.

USAC needs growing feeder racing and BOSS is the epitome of it. While some guys are long time vets and many track champions included. There are young guns cutting their teeth and finishing up front on ability. It's a confidence builder. There's been several father and son teams both racing in it. And some brothers.

All I can say is go to both, I enjoy both. Nothing there saying that a track can't put up some extra $$$ for a BOSS race, But the starting rate of a USAC show i estimate to be over 25k. Something thats a serious consideration for a track, Especially ones that don't run regular Non Wing if at all.
Whats the BOSS format? Are the engines the same as USAC?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac/boss/nonwing