IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini VS full sprint
4/5/16, 6:25 PM   #21
Chris Baue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Chris,
To a certain extent. I had about $23,000 into mine..... All depends on what approach you want to take....

Budget weekend racer wanting to tail the field and finish top 8 on a good day can buy a worn out midget and a junkyard motor for $6500-10,000

Weekend racer who enjoys running up front and having nice components/fresh motor/somewhat newish car can look to spend anywhere from $15-25,000.

I've seen both ways and if I'm gonna throw money away I'd prefer to have nice quality stuff and run up front.

And that's not counting spares, tires, etc.
Ok, you got me. There's always a guy or two, like you apparently, who wants to spend 20k+ to show up to the "budget minded" race just to beat 19 other cars to make 200$. Congrats, more power to you.

Having said that, I still stand by my statement in that 15-25k d2 cars are the minority and not "common". Why is it that's all we have been hearing about all off season is "cheap junk yard engines" with "stock" components and merely bolt on a few parts and go race with others with the same stuff? Aren't these supposed to be STOCK engines? Where are you spending 15k on a stock legal engine?? The badger series is on an island from what I understand when it comes to the engine rules. Usac and powri use stock engines correct? What am I missing?

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
4/5/16, 7:38 PM   #22
Bradleyracing86

Ok enough bickering kids.
It's all preference.
You know on some Arabs 747s they have gold plated toilet seats..
They do the same job as the plastic ones.
Last edited by Bradleyracing86; 4/6/16 at 12:05 AM.

1 member likes this post: sc17x
4/5/16, 7:40 PM   #23
Re: Mini VS full sprint
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baue View Post
Ok, you got me. There's always a guy or two, like you apparently, who wants to spend 20k+ to show up to the "budget minded" race just to beat 19 other cars to make 200$. Congrats, more power to you.

Having said that, I still stand by my statement in that 15-25k d2 cars are the minority and not "common". Why is it that's all we have been hearing about all off season is "cheap junk yard engines" with "stock" components and merely bolt on a few parts and go race with others with the same stuff? Aren't these supposed to be STOCK engines? Where are you spending 15k on a stock legal engine?? The badger series is on an island from what I understand when it comes to the engine rules. Usac and powri use stock engines correct? What am I missing?
xoxide ran down in Florida with Wayne Davis's series and if i'm not mistaken they have some different engine rules.

4/5/16, 8:38 PM   #24
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Ok enough bickering kids.
It's all preference.
You know on some Arabs 747s they have gold plated toilet seats..
The do the same job as the plastic ones.
Andy

You calling me a kid? Thanks Kiddo

Honest Dad himself

4/5/16, 8:49 PM   #25
xoxide

Cody yes I did.

the rules were identical to imra, Illini , etc though nothing special about it.

I'm curious where you read anything about $15k in an engine though? I know my engine package was $8500 for a "stick with a few bolt ons" freshened motor and that included everything from header, ecu, plug wires, fuel pump, and even fuel filters...... I guess we can agree on the fact that "d2 motors" shouldn't be $15k..... The only ones I know of hitting that price are Hondas which are few and far between

In the grand scheme of things $23,000 for a brand new race ready car is still a hell of a lot cheaper than running national midgets, sprint cars, etc..... So I'm not real sure where "that one guy" comments are stemming from.

I don't think it has as much to do with the fact people want to spend that much to race for $200, but more so the peace of mind knowing my equipment wasn't one lap away from failure or my motor wasn't one feature away from blowing a piston out of the side, or having to constantly battle issues with worn out equipment.

Spending that $23,000 made me able to go out, race and not take my hood off or think about anything besides small setup adjustments all night, come home and wash the car and perform some minor maintenance and go out and repeat process without having a single headache all year.

Enough of that though no need to beat a dead horse
Last edited by xoxide; 4/5/16 at 9:02 PM.

4 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DirtHawk92, opnwhlmnd, sc17x
4/5/16, 11:36 PM   #26
Phylo82

I'll make this real simple.......either you want to race as a hobby or you want to take on a second job. You can run a 1000cc as a hobby. A sprint car is a second job, and to be moderately successful you will need a second job to pay for it.

A buddy once told me that the higher the level you reach in racing the more it becomes like a job and less of a hobby.....and he was right.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

4/6/16, 12:19 AM   #27
KMS2683

You hit the nail on the head. Thats why our sprint is currently parked because neither my son or I have time for a second job

1 member likes this post: RookieMove
4/6/16, 7:31 AM   #28
RookieMove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylo82 View Post
I'll make this real simple.......either you want to race as a hobby or you want to take on a second job. You can run a 1000cc as a hobby. A sprint car is a second job, and to be moderately successful you will need a second job to pay for it.

A buddy once told me that the higher the level you reach in racing the more it becomes like a job and less of a hobby.....and he was right.

That makes sense. Been there done that, once you're invested so far into something, chasing money, lap times and results it can become a chore I instead of a passion.

Good stuff, thanks for the advice guys.

4/6/16, 8:05 AM   #29
Backitin

I have $ 3300.00 invested in my minisprint and untold amount of labor. It will keep pace with any minisprint and beat most.
That being said I'm not gonna bust on somebody for spending money buying a new car, they're all new at some point and they don't come from the factory with junk yard parts. Also not everyone needs a second job to have expendable money.

2 members like this post: jjones752, opnwhlmnd
4/6/16, 8:59 AM   #30
Bradleyracing86

New cars are a good thing, helps populate a class with good used equipment in the future, I agree with Denton.... And being honest sometimes you spend less when you buy good equipment at the start.. It cost a lot to travel to a track and have breakdowns...

2 members like this post: jjones752, xoxide
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini VS full sprint