IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lithium Batteries?
3/10/16, 11:05 PM   #1
Lithium Batteries?
CCFEHR

Looking to replace my Odssey PC545 with a lithium battery. What are the in and outs of using a lithium battery? Which brand and model is most popular in use with MSD Midget ignition? Anybody using a Braille?

3/10/16, 11:31 PM   #2
Re: Lithium Batteries?
wobbler

I used a Shorai here in Australia last season. Bought the proper charger and everything for and cost around $500-. Lasted 4 or 5 nights before it failed me and wont take charge. Went back to trying the tried and tested Oddyssey since with no issues.

1 member likes this post: CCFEHR
3/10/16, 11:50 PM   #3
Blackduce

I have sold alot of Shorai to 600 mini sprints, full midgets, and lots of road racers. The only problem was me. On the first one I use a normal battery charger. If you do,do not charge more than 5 minutes at 2 amps. I went 30 minutes and fried it. Now I have the factory charger and perfect. Many different sizes also. Need cranking amps and physical size needed. Mine weighs 1.8 pounds.

Lynn
Last edited by Blackduce; 3/10/16 at 11:51 PM. Reason: needed weight

3/11/16, 12:21 AM   #4
dirtrack

Going into my fourth year with a Shorai in a 1000cc mini sprint. We run the charging system on the motor and never need to charge it during the season. Seems to hold a good charge all winter. I do put a 1 amp charge on it for a couple of hours prior to
starting it up in the spring.

3/11/16, 8:31 AM   #5
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

Been running a Shorai in my mini sprint and my micro midget for 5 or 6 years now. No issues whatsoever, but I use a charging system in both cars. I do plug the Shorai charger into the battery every week between races, and put the charger in "Store" mode.

Bill

3/11/16, 9:29 AM   #6
CCFEHR

I'm going to run the battery in a national midget without an alternator, is there a lithium battery that can withstand the constant draw and make it through a normal night of racing without being charged or swapped out?

1 member likes this post: ASM53
3/11/16, 10:56 AM   #7
TQ29m

I've been using a Battery Tender lithium ion in my total loss system in my TQ, no special charger, just works great, weighs about 2.5 lbs, it is a 12v, 24a, 360ca Deltran. $130.00 thru Amazon, I'm happy! Bob

3/11/16, 12:14 PM   #8
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFEHR View Post
I'm going to run the battery in a national midget without an alternator, is there a lithium battery that can withstand the constant draw and make it through a normal night of racing without being charged or swapped out?
These batteries are so small and light you can mount them on the firewall. If in doubt switch it out. Remember us guys with Mini sprints use them for starting, running a fuel pump, the Ignition system and some of us even run a water pump off of them. They aren't cheap>>you do need a special charger and they hate to be left in a car over the cold winter months. If you let them discharge too far they are junk, like the Duce I know for a fact. We usually take it out after the race bring it in and hook it up to it's charger. If in doubt charge it up in the pits. The hardest thing for us Old folk to comprehend is just how do they get that much power out of such a little package.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lithium Batteries?