IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 midget question
1/24/16, 3:29 PM   #21
Re: D2 midget question
TQ29m

Ray3, sorry I rocked on your tail, guess I figured I'd just ask, and someone would tell me, seems like midget's have gotten as complicated as beer, what most people drink, and what others can afford. Maybe I should have gone with my first idea, and bought a sprint car, and just run Paragon, which is still on the table. I'd like to run a midget, but not one that is considered a "national" series, or as it seems, a "D2" either, and I really don't like the "Midwest" idea, of running so many different variations together, going back to something DAD talked about a year or so back, take a junk yard motor, change oil in it, if you had the money, freshen it up, if you had the money, and race it, KISS, but then we get back to policing a basically "stock" engine, which I for one, don't intend to do, been there, done that, more time spent on that, than racing, so maybe we forget the oil change, and the freshen it up, just run it as it was removed from the donor, maybe even have the dipstick wired, so you can't even look, just hope there was oil left in it! But, I will admit, grudgingly, the Midwest idea has brought some cars, and drivers back into the game, and further stirred the interest in "more Midgets", which is what it's all about, having more than one track to run at would be great, I'm a fur piece from Montpelier, so that probably won't be on my list, but if it is nagged about enough, maybe something will come of it. Self, it's not D2, maybe it's B2! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 1/24/16 at 4:14 PM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
1/24/16, 4:13 PM   #22
Avon Open Wheel fan

We are currently working out the rules package and will be posting it on here and our Facebook and web pages very soon. Our goal is the get a group of drivers together using a simple base set of rules. It will not be the size of a cookbook. Not really looking at that many car types at this time so it will not be a problem policing in the pits. It is our intention to give everyone who shows up the same welcoming and ensuring a safe and competitive race. We also want rules that allows the cars to make it to where the drivers can race in other series with only making a minor change at most to their cars. Most importantly is to just make this a fun series to be a part of.

https://m.facebook.com/Midwest-Light...urce=typeahead

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 1/24/16 at 4:33 PM.

2 members like this post: DAD, TQ29m
1/24/16, 9:38 PM   #23
DAD

Bob

I took part in the meeting Harold of Montpelier hosted expressing his desire to put together a class of Midgets to race at Montpelier Speedway several years ago. He took the input crunched it together and came up with a very simple straight forward rules package. His rules have served him well. We suggested that he govern and handicap his cars with a RR tire size. He did limit the RR for national powered cars to a 10" wide wheel and the use of only one RR tire per race.

This rule works well for most of the older Midgets and the Mini Sprints and Focus>Ecotec Midgets have faired very well. Several Main's have been won by the Motorcycle and Stock block powered Midgets.

As in any racing you always have a few better financed teams show up to race with fast and late model engines. These cars have a definite advantage over the other cars in the race. One reason for this is Harold always give the racer one heck of a race track to race on often working the track over before the Main events, making for a heavy fast track and taking the traction problem out of the equation for the higher powered cars.

I for one have been thinking about these cars ever since that meeting. I have said On IOW several years ago that I wished someone would bring this formula to Southern Indiana. It looks as if Jay may be doing that right now.

Bob you would be amazed how well the Mini Sprints and stock block cars race aganist the National Midgets. They are capable of racing straight up with a 10 year old National motor and not getting in the way of the newer motor packages. The argument that Mini Sprints are faster than the stock block cars and on the other side the stock block cars are faster than the Motorcycle cars are just that an argument. On any race night a properly prepared and driven car of either design can win.

So back to the question how to make the cars more competitive to one another. Number one would be pick the race track. Stay to tracks 1/4 mile or smaller. Number two limit that right rear tire. Even with a Mini Sprint it is possible to overpower that 12" RR tire on a slick race track, not so much on a heavy track. Races are won by the driver and set up that gets the most performance out of that RR tire.

Right now why not switch to an 79-80" RR or better known as the left rear tire (they are even cheaper). It has a 10 inch tread making it easier to overpower either by a Mini Sprint or the latest late model Midget motor that chooses to run for the purse that these cars will be racing from. I have been talking to some tire people about digging out an old RR mold with the 10" tread, if they do we will have our spec tire to race on.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/25/16 at 11:31 AM.

1/24/16, 10:01 PM   #24
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I have wanted to comment on this Bob but have decided not to until after the Super Bowl of Racing's Gator"DIRT"Nationals in 10 days when 4-6 different engine combinations of 40 or more racers from 6 different series. However there will be NO national engines allowed being none showed up last year with the RR tire restrictions I had on them. After 3 days of racing and all data is studied I will comment. Until then I can only go by what I have already experienced. Hope you race in 2016 with someone and within your budget and in a midget cause we need good guys like you.

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

4 members like this post: Airsys, Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD, J47
1/25/16, 11:56 AM   #25
LocalYokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Maybe I should have gone with my first idea, and bought a sprint car, and just run Paragon, which is still on the table. Bob
Bob,

Get the Sprint Car. It'll be the most fun you've ever had racing. Probably cost a few dollars more, but way less BS. Plus you can run it everywhere, without making one change, if you want. All Indiana tracks, USAC, west coast...

4 members like this post: Bradleyracing86, DAD, kart31rac, TQ29m
1/25/16, 12:27 PM   #26
DAD

Local

The biggest problem with Sprint cars Is their darned size. These little Midget things move around real easy and an old man can pretty much get buy without a lot of extra help. Also it's such a long way to walk around one of them things us old folk tire easy. The cost of racing Sprints is probably less than Midgets because there is just plain volume of cars and parts out there. There is also something about Midgets that affect some people different, Heck I don't know what it is. I guess it is a "Midget Thing" and most people just wouldn't understand.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/25/16 at 12:28 PM.

1/25/16, 1:26 PM   #27
TQ29m

I appreciate all the comments, guess I'm still on the fence, so to speak, and I've been around this stuff long enough to know it's a whole lot easier to buy, than it is to sell, and it can change in a heartbeat, here today, and gone tomorrow, and you are right, DAD, us oldies really don't have much business with something that requires us to walk a lot, and where I live, has dictated a lot of what I raced, and I also notice when the midget arrived, even with help, he was 3 yrs younger than me, it was a handful just to swap from his trailer to mine, if I have to make more than one trip around my rig, I have to rest, and sometimes it don't take that much, that little 90cc quad has given me at least another 8-10 yrs at the race track, I need to get me one of them "retarded" things you hang on your RV mirror, so I can at least go watch, the race car has kept me able to get in the pits, and then ride around, anyway! Never really thought about it as I got older, but the past 4-5 yrs I've been blessed with, have also reminded me how much slower I've gotten, but, when warm weather shows up, we'll see what's left. It is chronic addiction, racing that is, I quit smoking a whole lot easier, I have now been a non-smoker, about as long as I was a smoker, but racing and quitting, are like oil and water. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 midget question