IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D-2 Focus engines
12/20/15, 1:20 PM   #21
LJC77

The drive shaft cars and chain cars do not belong on the track together.
They are 2 totally different animals that happen to look similar but drive completely the opposite.
Chain cars are lighter, accelerate quicker and have to keep thier momentum up. They also have a lot more left side wieght giving them a better advantage on slick tracks.
Real midgets are slower out of the hole, have faster straightaway speed n scrub off more speed thru the corners.
But just because they turn similar lap times and need car count you throw them together.
It would be no different than throwing midgets and late models together because thier lap times are similar.
And yes that has come up at tracks we have run, we have been asked to run a exhibition race between late model fast time vs midget fast time.
So for you guys crying "integrity", you might wana chew on that thought for a bit.

12/20/15, 1:38 PM   #22
Re: D-2 Focus engines
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
The drive shaft cars and chain cars do not belong on the track together.
They are 2 totally different animals that happen to look similar but drive completely the opposite.
Chain cars are lighter, accelerate quicker and have to keep thier momentum up. They also have a lot more left side wieght giving them a better advantage on slick tracks.
Real midgets are slower out of the hole, have faster straightaway speed n scrub off more speed thru the corners.
But just because they turn similar lap times and need car count you throw them together.
It would be no different than throwing midgets and late models together because thier lap times are similar.
And yes that has come up at tracks we have run, we have been asked to run a exhibition race between late model fast time vs midget fast time.
So for you guys crying "integrity", you might wana chew on that thought for a bit.
LJ

We race an FSC Chassis, others race xxx, and many other Midget Chassis are used racing Mini Sprints. There should be no difference in the speed either car will carry through the corner if set up properly and driven correctly. If you carry the speed through the turn then Torque for acceleration out of the corner is not needed. The big secret is to keep up the momentum neither motor likes to be bogged down.

The only advantage I have noted is the cycle cars have is that they can drop down a gear for starting and bog the Automotive motors down so slow that they loose the drag race to turn one. This is the fault of the Flagman.

Both cars drive and set up the same the only difference I have been told is the Automotive powered cars torque over under acceleration chain drive cars do not.

Honest Dad himself

12/20/15, 2:02 PM   #23
LJC77

Like I said they look the same, but that's were it ends.
Have you ever considered the crank in a chain car is half the wieght? We all can do the math on the acceleration rate vs the 2.
And yes same chassis, but put the 2 cars on a scale, percentages are night and day.
And don't tell me that doesn't matter, why do you think in the taxi cab world the under hp motors get more left side weight?
You see results of the snow ball derby?
Winning car was dqed for 0.3% allowable left side weight. And on a slick track that makes a huge difference.
Again results speak for themselves.
Look at the big D2 race in October, at Jacksonville.
Top 4 out of 5 were chain cars on a track that looked like an ice rink.
4th place car, a man with more experience than every competitor out there combined, with a non legal D2 drive shaft car could not touch the chain cars.
His motor is a badger K 2.4L, not allowed by D2 rules.
Facts are facts, you can twist the truth any way you wish, but there is no logical argument for chains n shafts to compete together other than make car count #s look better.

3 members like this post: gearguy, RickyBobby, Shreffler21
12/20/15, 2:39 PM   #24
Re: D-2 Focus engines
RickyBobby

LJC77 is hitting the nail on the head. I've seen the same club attempt the chain drive/ shaft drive concept for more than a dozen years now. From my experiences, the chain drives always stunted the growth of the shaft drives. It's going to be a tough sell for the automotive engines, when the motorcycle engines are taking 5 of the top 6 spots like at Jacksonville.
Andrew Funk #8

1 member likes this post: LJC77
12/20/15, 3:21 PM   #25
hullracing

Funny thing shaft drive cars have won the championship 2 years running in the biggest "D2" series around. Everyone wants to knock every little thing involved with this "concept". If it doesn't fit for someone's personal agenda then it's time to bash. Ask the numerous drivers and owners who ran the series these past few years, not one complaint on who or who doesn't have an advantage, but there will always be the ones close enough to support and race but instead bash things they don't know on the Internet!

6 members like this post: Crankin, fish, jay mcquinn, jjones752, Wayne Davis, xoxide
12/20/15, 3:35 PM   #26
LJC77

Again keep twisting the truth to fit your agenda.
Listing facts is hardly bashing, it's opening the door to the truth to those like myself that have no agenda.
Now Mr.Hull answer this, your champion is not legal now in your D2 series.
Don't sweep facts under the rug to make your agenda look better to others.

3 members like this post: RickyBobby, Shreffler21, sprintracer82
12/20/15, 3:50 PM   #27
Shreffler21

was Johnnys motor unrestricted with cams ?

12/20/15, 3:54 PM   #28
LJC77

I believe it was bud.
Not 100% sure though so don't hold me to it.
If you still have have Gillis's ford I don't believe it fits D2 specs either

12/20/15, 3:56 PM   #29
hullracing

If I had an agenda it wouldn't be trying to say that both style of cars don't belong on the track together. What is happening in your direction is in no turn any affect of what we do on this side of the state. Obviously that's what the IRS had to do to survive years ago by making up a similar concept with a variety of motors. Well in turn I think I remember a 1000cc car running with Illini at Lasalle this past year and I didn't hear any complaints about that. Ive ran both styles of cars many of times and you don't see me favoring one side or the other on advantages and disadvantages. I prefer shaft cars because that's what I grew up running and that's what I like. I just don't see any reason why both styles of cars can not run together on the same track.

4 members like this post: Crankin, DAD, jay mcquinn, jjones752
12/20/15, 4:00 PM   #30
hullracing

And if you want to be worried about hopped up motors, my ecotec has rods. I had no problem consistently running up front. And if you look back the "not legal" current champ and myself were 1-2 over 75% of the season till I took a pole out at sycamore. Yes rules changed but I was not involved in that but I'm supporting the change for the better. Maybe you should follow suit or just leave it be cause I don't see you having a dog in this fight.

2 members like this post: Crankin, jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D-2 Focus engines