allow aftermarket ignition for mec injection systems 19 34.55%
allow gasoline or methanol as fuel 10 18.18%
allow methanol only (safety) 31 56.36%
allow aftermarket injection electronic 24 43.64%
allow aftermarket injection mechanical 27 49.09%
allow bore change to meet displacement 14 25.45%
allow stroke change to meet displacement 13 23.64%
allow the use of restricted older National Midget Motors 25 45.45%
allow the use of stock smaller forced induction motors as they come on line 9 16.36%
allow M/C powerd cars to remove clutch and starter 10 18.18%
Allow 2.5L Engines 17 30.91%
I have raced in a DII class in the past 19 34.55%
I am very interested in DII Midget racing 18 32.73%
keep min weight as they are 1125>1000>910>875 7 12.73%
Change min weight of auto engine cars down to 1025 lbs. 3 5.45%
Tow your car on an open trailer 5 9.09%
weiRaise the min weight to accomodate 2014 average male weight of 196 pounds 4 7.27%
allow OEM Stock VVT 9 16.36%
VVT must be disabled if aftermarket fuel injection is used 3 5.45%
no wings 5 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules
10/18/15, 12:44 PM   #51
Re: New DII Engine rules
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I've been told the votes are in, no more debating. I'm sure it will be made public soon but the bottom line for me is I now have a Montpelier Special. I made my choice with my eyes open, it is what it is; I wish all of the D-II series success.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/18/15, 1:18 PM   #52
DAD

Jim

Good news Bad news.

Good news>>> All DII Midgets should be eligible to race with Montpelier.

Bad news>>>> Not all Montpelier Midgets will be allowed to race in DII races.

Racing should still be good next summer Hope you are allowed to race the DII's next year on your off dates.

Honest Dad himself

10/18/15, 4:02 PM   #53
stew60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Stew

Good to hear frou you guys south of the equator. I guess you all are just getting ready to go racing we are winding down. The language may change a tad but the concerns remain the same. New racers never even get started after figuring how expensive it is going to be and that is a shame. Midgets racing on a small track have to be close to one of the most entertaining series around. Put them on a 1/2 mile and bigger>>nor so much but a whole lot more dangerous.

I have been on a Hoosier or American racer 10" right Rear campaign for a couple of years now but haven't gotten much traction so to speak Ha Ha. So I have been trying traction control and not writing about it so much. You know hit it hard then back off get a grip and squeeze it down again. Like the little tire they use up in Illinois they would also limit traction but not to the extent of making il like racing on a slick track go kart ride.

Honest Dad himself
Yeah I can understand the 10" tyre theory. I raced a legend a couple of times before buying the midget just to make sure I still had it in me to get around the track and can tell you it was terrible on rock hard control tyres and someone mentioned earlier about a hard control tyre and yes on a hard slick track it'd just be like watching random figure skating and tear up equipment?!
Maybe limit how soft you can go compound wise but leave the compound options open from there?
As far as engines go, as an example there's a Fontana for sale in the classifieds section, complete and ready to bolt in for $5500. If treated right and shown some respect there is no reason why an engine like that couldn't be a fairly cheap to maintain and reliable?
You guys have a lot more cars with engines sitting around that could be raced for not much difference of building a decent stock block.
Racing costs money plain and simple, that's why it took 18 years to get back into it haha....
Attached Images
image.jpeg (135.4 KB, 34 views)

10/18/15, 4:05 PM   #54
stew60

Just out of curiosity, with all this D2 talk has anyone looked at the Kenyon midgets? Just going off a few saying that bike engines cars are running competitively against auto engines cars?
Cheers Stew

1 member likes this post: DAD
10/18/15, 4:08 PM   #55
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
I've been told the votes are in, no more debating. I'm sure it will be made public soon but the bottom line for me is I now have a Montpelier Special. I made my choice with my eyes open, it is what it is; I wish all of the D-II series success.
And now Jim, the rule book is heavier than the cars! Beats me! Bob

1 member likes this post: stew60
10/18/15, 5:14 PM   #56
gearguy

I have been the volunteer PR guy for the Illini Series this year and we've had a more competitive season than the results show. Heat races were won by Focus, Honda, Ecotec, & national motors. We had a feature winner DQ'd on weight [10# light] at Grundy, a horsepower track for us, that was powered by a $400 salvage yard Ecotec that had never been opened up much less hopped up. Had that victory stood up I would proudly have posted a photocopy of the salvage yard receipt on our Facebook page.
The much maligned "little" tires are only small in comparison to those in current use. I think the old timers would be offended by some off the smart remarks about putting on "big boy tires" and really racing. Up until the mid 1960s the biggest stars in our sport raced on 4 to 5 inch wide wheels. Tires were still a big deal; I'm told a seven time Badger champ NEVER started a feature on a used right rear tire. If you look in the 1982 Edmunds catalog posted on line the widest wheel sold back then was 8 inches wide.
Our DOT legal AR tires got good reviews by hall of fame worthy Johnny Heydenreich and National driver Kyle Hamilton this year. Both felt they brought the driver back into the winning equation.
Regardless of tire or engine rules we all want the sport of midget auto racing to prosper. Hopefully an acceptable set of rules will get hammered out and we can go back to racing without the rancor these forums always seem to dredge up.

Chuck Schultz
Winfield, Illinois

2 members like this post: MWRmgr1010, stew60
10/18/15, 6:25 PM   #57
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew60 View Post
Just out of curiosity, with all this D2 talk has anyone looked at the Kenyon midgets? Just going off a few saying that bike engines cars are running competitively against auto engines cars?
Cheers Stew
Stew

The Kenyon cars race pretty good in the DII Races. We had a few at Duquoin Il. This year and several are regulars at Montpelier I think. As far as weaning racers off of the big Right Rear's everybody is scared of the unknown. Many of the best racers of all times have raced on some very small tires and when it comes to spending money racing I would suspect to run up front constantly your tire bill would be much higher in DII racing then the motor bill. Imagine racing with a tire bill that was half of what you have to spend now.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 10/18/15 at 6:28 PM.

10/18/15, 6:36 PM   #58
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jim
Good news Bad news.
Good news>>> All DII Midgets should be eligible to race with Montpelier.
Bad news>>>> Not all Montpelier Midgets will be allowed to race in DII races.
Racing should still be good next summer Hope you are allowed to race the DII's next year on your off dates.
Honest Dad himself
Bill,
Unfortunately (maybe), I chose to go a direction I was told D-II was considering going also, only to be told early this morning it was not going to be the case; the "good" news is that I made my decision based on the fact that it would also benefit me at my home track, which now seems to be the only place I'll be able to race unless other tracks choose to run "Monteplier" rules like Union County did this year and the Klash has been for the last 2.
The "bad" news? All things work together for good if you believe what I believe, so there is no bad news, but I'll miss going to some of the tracks I've enjoyed running when Montpelier's dark or rained out, and running with some great guys that I consider to be friends and that's a shame. But like you said, all D-II legal cars are Montpelier-legal cars so hopefully we'll see some of them out there. Make no mistake, I'll welcome them with open arms.

10/18/15, 7:15 PM   #59
Sling'n DIRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Bill,
Unfortunately (maybe), I chose to go a direction I was told D-II was considering going also, only to be told early this morning it was not going to be the case; the "good" news is that I made my decision based on the fact that it would also benefit me at my home track, which now seems to be the only place I'll be able to race unless other tracks choose to run "Monteplier" rules like Union County did this year and the Klash has been for the last 2.
The "bad" news? All things work together for good if you believe what I believe, so there is no bad news, but I'll miss going to some of the tracks I've enjoyed running when Montpelier's dark or rained out, and running with some great guys that I consider to be friends and that's a shame. But like you said, all D-II legal cars are Montpelier-legal cars so hopefully we'll see some of them out there. Make no mistake, I'll welcome them with open arms.
Where are the rules so we all can see? They must have just adopted one of the series rules package and went with it if the rules are out today less then 24 hours after that meeting

10/19/15, 12:22 AM   #60
jjones752

I suppose they'll come out in due time. I don't know what's been decided other than it doesn't include what I'm putting together, so I'll concentrate on doing the best I can at Montpelier, where the rules are looser.
Last edited by jjones752; 10/19/15 at 12:43 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New DII Engine rules