IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Josh Burton Memorial
5/25/15, 10:45 PM   #1
Josh Burton Memorial
torqueball

A tremendous celebration was had Friday evening at Bloomington Speedway. The crowds didn't come to witness the MSCS sprints or the KISS series for that matter. They filled the hill in remembrance of Josh and in support of his entire family. The opening ceremonies touched everyone in attendance in some way or another. You could tell that Jerry and Darlene Burton, along with their entire family had poured their hearts and souls into this event. I was honored to be there and pay my respects.

When the racing began, it was obvious that Brady Short was going home with that rifle. The maneuvers on the track were entertaining as always, but the moves off of the racing surface is what compelled me to post this.

I don't think anyone needs reminding that Josh Burton paid the ultimate price at this facility. His family has dealt with his loss with the utmost grace and strength. They continue to field a car and pour their time, money, and sweat into sprint car racing. As I had stated earlier, it was obvious the work on their end that went into this event. When the checkers fell on that b-main and the #04 was a half-car short of the transfer, I wasn't worried. I knew the powers at be would do the right thing. Give the Josh Burton Racing #04 a promoters option and tag the tail of the event that holds his name. It was the easiest decision to make, but somehow it didn't get done. In my opinion, this was unacceptable. You can read me KISS rules, MSCS rules, or Bloomington Speedway rules and nothing is going to change my stance. My emotions were at first disbelief and then morphed to anger as I stewed over this. It finally settled on sadness. I waited a few days to post this, due to the height of my initial emotions.

The Burton family would never ask for anything, but this was not something to be given....this was something earned. Earned by Josh's sacrifice...earned by the family's continued support of what Josh loved. My requests fell on deaf ears before the start of the feature. I was met with excuses and typical finger pointing as to why they couldn't issue a provisional. No one in power wanted to stand-up and make the easiest decision in the history of Bloomington Speedway. I smile sitting here thinking of Josh Burton, but become angry thinking about how a little bit of compassion and common sense could have brought some joy to his family and friends come Feature time.

Sincerely
Danny Holtsclaw

5/26/15, 11:19 AM   #2
Re: Josh Burton Memorial
John P Huss

Great evening of racing
& remembering Josh.
Best Regards,
John

5/26/15, 4:11 PM   #3
Panama

Well said Danny, I agree 100%!

5/26/15, 9:01 PM   #4
LB

Me and the wife came with interpreter66 and catfish , our first visit to Bloomington, all that I know about Josh is what I read about his passing , but by the look and the fans with his t shirts on he was well liked young and old , neat to see not only sprint cars with painted orange lettering on the tires but other classes too . It was a good night of racing other than a couple of people busting there a$$ hard but
walking away . And yes I did buy a t shirt at the tent and yes we will be back !,,,,, Lb and sharon ,,,,
The ice cream was good too

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Josh Burton Memorial