IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget racing's identity crisis
3/24/15, 6:01 PM   #11
Re: Midget racing's identity crisis
racenut69

All forms of Dirt Racing have an "Identity and Income Crisis"....The "unobtainium" engines and "Tire Dopes",in all forms of motorsports, will continue to affect the "Hip Pocket Financed Race Teams" and also affect the "Show",that we all all love!!!....

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/25/15, 11:13 AM   #12
micro23

Micro racing has the same problem. Everything is blamed on motors!! The world is different than it was in the 50's and 60's and so is racing. YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY!!!! Pick something you can afford and race it!!!!

2 members like this post: Airsys, Tony74
3/25/15, 7:49 PM   #13
Tim Clauson

Went to a go kart race recently, guess what they were complaining about ??

4 members like this post: fish, Geoff Kaiser, JMA1181, Kellen Conover
3/25/15, 9:11 PM   #14
MHess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
The high cost of Gasoline?? haha

I really don't feel the mechanical part of midget motors are that much different or advanced. I do believe that the electronics on midget motors have made a world of difference in performance.

I also feel that Carbon Fiber nor titanium is needed in midget racing. The costs of these products are staggering. I'd be happy to see it illegal. I'd also like to see a weight rule without the driver again.

If these products are outlawed and the weight rule changed, then lets make bolt on weight illegal also. Go back to being able to build a midget with aluminum, fiberglass, and steel bolts that makes the weight without having to bolt weight on.

Oh well opinions are like....or something like that.

4 members like this post: Dauminator5, groove grabber, Tony74, Wayne Davis
3/25/15, 11:44 PM   #15
Ken Bonnema

I am by no means a fan in any way of Newt Gingrich but I saw a video once where he started out by saying " Complete the following sentence. If you cannot afford to buy a house..........." In 1973 I bought an old Supermodified so I could race at San Jose Speedway. I did so by working at a Gas station, Parts house and having 5 paper routes. It is the car in my avitar and I had no chance of ever making a Main event there, in fact running many C races is what happened. It never once occurred to me to dummy down the class because I couldn't afford a top car. I could have had a top Early model stocker for the same money but I wanted to be a part of the coolest thing I have (to this day) ever seen. 60 cars a night Pombo, Kaeding Rescino, Scott, Lioyd Beard, the names go on and on. As a result I have priceless memories and friendships that go back over 40 years. I do not recall a time when the "common man" ever won very much in upper forms of motorsports. Race after race the fast five (or so) were in the winners circle and once in awhile the little guy would sneak one in. But even "that guy " was usually a successful buisness owner who made far more than us B and C racers. I never once had a new tire on my Super. National Midget racing ALWAYS has been an ELITE form of Motorsports. It's where the boys come to play. Back then it was A.J. and Co., now it's TSR and friends. Ya wern't gonna beat 'em then, and ya aint gonna beat 'em now. But you can race 'em by buying a used 'slinger for around 15k and dropping it in. Can't afford that?? Then buy a used Stealth with a Fontana (or the like) and run Montpellier and who knows, you might sneak into a National A main at a bullring somewhere. Can't afford that? Buy a T.Q for somewhere between 4 and 8K and race local. Can't afford that??? Maybe you shouldn't be racing. There are all kinds of Sportsman Midgets running around and yes they are slower. My ol' motor builder Don Canepa said many times " Horsepower costs money, How fast do ya wanna go" R.I.P. DC

8 members like this post: DAD, ernart3, fish, Jonr, lmahal, micro23, sprintracer82, TQ29m
3/26/15, 1:40 AM   #16
DAD

Ken

I was going to stay out of this discushion because I feel like I may be antagonizing a lot of people. However I think we might have been missing the point. Midgets may have a little problem with identification, partially because of the invent of Midget size cars with close to the performance potential of the Real Deal Midgets.

There is nothing wrong with calling these sub Parr cars Midgets. I recently started FB, and have noticed a few things about the past. One guy posted a newspaper clip about a race in Scottsburg Indiana. The article says 1800 people watched 10 sprint race this past weekend "1947" something. It isn't the size of the field that has decreased it is the size of the crowd that has decreased.
With the introduction of the new 4 valve automotive engine Midget racing to the contrary is poised for a resurgence. In the recent past motors of this potential did not exist. Can anyone imagine putting a stock Pinto Motor in a Midget . Now imagine a stock Ecotec in a Midget>>No comparison Right. Let the pro's do what pro's do put on one hell of a race>>>>there is also room for the guys one rung down the ladder. We all have a purpose in this life.

It would be interesting to find out how those pro's would do if the rules makers would provided a rule to allow the development of lets say a 3 liter V6 Stock block and head Motor.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...77&pnref=story

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/26/15 at 4:09 PM.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
3/26/15, 8:42 AM   #17
illinisprintfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bonnema View Post
I am by no means a fan in any way of Newt Gingrich but I saw a video once where he started out by saying " Complete the following sentence. If you cannot afford to buy a house..........." In 1973 I bought an old Supermodified so I could race at San Jose Speedway. I did so by working at a Gas station, Parts house and having 5 paper routes. It is the car in my avitar and I had no chance of ever making a Main event there, in fact running many C races is what happened. It never once occurred to me to dummy down the class because I couldn't afford a top car. I could have had a top Early model stocker for the same money but I wanted to be a part of the coolest thing I have (to this day) ever seen. 60 cars a night Pombo, Kaeding Rescino, Scott, Lioyd Beard, the names go on and on. As a result I have priceless memories and friendships that go back over 40 years. I do not recall a time when the "common man" ever won very much in upper forms of motorsports. Race after race the fast five (or so) were in the winners circle and once in awhile the little guy would sneak one in. But even "that guy " was usually a successful buisness owner who made far more than us B and C racers. I never once had a new tire on my Super. National Midget racing ALWAYS has been an ELITE form of Motorsports. It's where the boys come to play. Back then it was A.J. and Co., now it's TSR and friends. Ya wern't gonna beat 'em then, and ya aint gonna beat 'em now. But you can race 'em by buying a used 'slinger for around 15k and dropping it in. Can't afford that?? Then buy a used Stealth with a Fontana (or the like) and run Montpellier and who knows, you might sneak into a National A main at a bullring somewhere. Can't afford that? Buy a T.Q for somewhere between 4 and 8K and race local. Can't afford that??? Maybe you shouldn't be racing. There are all kinds of Sportsman Midgets running around and yes they are slower. My ol' motor builder Don Canepa said many times " Horsepower costs money, How fast do ya wanna go" R.I.P. DC
I grew up going to San Jose Speedway! I was born in '68 and just a kid, but the racing and atmosphere was amazing. Going to the races with my Mom, Dad and Grandpa at San Jose are still my favorite racing memories. I would give my left leg for one of the linguica sandwiches they sold! It was devastating to watch it close.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
3/26/15, 10:35 AM   #18
Kuhn74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
Raising cost of shocks?

2 members like this post: micro23, Scott Bradley
3/26/15, 11:05 AM   #19
dfsmith

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 18

I dont know why all you guys cant veiw it as a stepping stone or ladder system. Stock base engines and than as you get better you move up to national type engines. Then see which group grows maybe you stay in the stock base maybe you move up to national type. I'm not in this to spend 40k on an engine but then again if a guy wants to and race 3 other guys go ahead. Do I want to race with 24 cars with all the same type? yes. As I see can the national guys find 24 cars to run mmmm I doubt it as I see the numbers on an off powri nite at the prairie. Out of 15 cars one nite, 5 blew up 7 were running at the end of the feature. Thats exciting to watch! Grow or save its all the same. IMO

3 members like this post: DAD, jjones752, Revolution Racing
3/26/15, 11:09 AM   #20
TQ29m

Spec tires, and driver adjustable anything! Was referring to the go-kart post! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 3/26/15 at 2:13 PM. Reason: needed it

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget racing's identity crisis