IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
fasster23 (Offline)
  #1 3/9/15 11:46 PM
Wondering what else is out there for MSD/Tach mounts. I've seen the ones that Speedway sells. Just looking for something else and would like a recommendation. Do you mount your box on the engine or drivers side of the dash? Thanks
jhobbs26 (Offline)
  #2 3/20/15 3:33 AM
Is one better than the other? If it holds the box secure its doing its job. The only way I can think of if one is better than another is if one is lighter than another. But I don't have much experience in different mounts, only the speedway one you mentioned. My box is mounted on the engine side. Why? Because that's the way the car came when I bought it used. If I was starting with all new dash, I would probably mount it driver side, just to keep the engine heat from heat soaking the box. That's the biggest killer for electronics.
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #3 3/20/15 8:12 PM
Have never seen anyone mount a MSD Box on the driver's side. Not enough room.
Rhody (Offline)
  #4 3/20/15 9:19 PM
What's your budget. I run the Kenny's components one primarily, but I still have a homemade one that works just fine too.
on_the_edge (Offline)
  #5 3/20/15 9:24 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
Lots of guys mount theirs on the cockpit side of the dash. Look around at other cars, becoming more and more common.

"It's the fastest who get paid, and the fastest who get laid".
Rex W. (Offline)
  #6 3/20/15 9:28 PM
carbon panel with tac & switch
Attachments:
image.jpg (121.1 KB)

Rex W. (Offline)
  #7 3/20/15 9:30 PM
Originally Posted by treecitytornado:
J&J box mounts go on the driver side of the dash. Karl Kinser used to mount his on driver side of the dash yrs ago.
Isaac Chapple Racing (Offline)
  #8 3/20/15 10:46 PM
The Kenny's carbon one that holds the MSD, tach, and switch all together is a really nice piece. Worth the money in my opinion.

Isaac Chapple
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #9 3/20/15 11:31 PM
Hmm interesting. Seems simpler to mount it closer to the Mag. Maybe it's just me.
cshuman (Offline)
  #10 3/21/15 12:48 AM
JT.. I made mine, tach, switch, box all in one... On the inside
Attachments:
image.jpg (1.22 MB)