IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belleville Midget Nationals
2/4/15, 5:27 PM   #11
Larry G.

Yep, Pike's Peak and Milwaukee too.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, Pat O'Connor Fan
2/4/15, 6:09 PM   #12
Re: Belleville Midget Nationals
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 85

Just a thought. Could they use part of the outer oval and cut through the infield area and make a shorter track that way with the same banking for the infield part? Haven't been there for several years so don't know what current 1/4 mile looks like. I DO KNOW that the last time I was there the car count was terrible, the surface abrasive and the racing was not very good. I had been there several times in the early '90's and the car counts and surface were great. What happened to the tacky surface of that time?

2/4/15, 10:54 PM   #13
coondog

We ran the 1/4 mile for the 1st night in 2012. No more cars showed up for the 1st night. I even remember someone blowing an engine because I said, if we had been on the half mile, that would of been the blame for it. Even though it was fun to drive on, but there was no passing.

1 member likes this post: Kansasdirtfan
2/4/15, 11:28 PM   #14
flagboy55

I've never been to the Belleville midget nationals. Was on my bucket list till car counts went so low. But if they moved it, or ran it on the quarter, it would no longer be the race I would travel from Indiana to see. The Belleville nationals that I've always read about are the little cars on the big track, anything else is an impostor! (Same for hut 100)

1 member likes this post: erich45
2/5/15, 12:21 AM   #15
toprowjim

Belleville is on my schedule every year. Yes some years the car counts have dropped and the Nationals looked doomed. Since USAC came back the car counts have risen a little and the racing has improved. I know the little guys cannot keep up with the big $$ engines and choose not to run, but when USAC was not involved for a few years the little guys didn't show up then either. They can't afford to blow up their engine and be done chasing the championship in their own club for the rest of the year. The problem with the small track is it is so tight that cars are constantly hitting each other and so there is no such thing as a clean race. Also with no fencing or barriers around cars go over the edge and then spin out to bring out a yellow so they don't lose a lap. Again too many yellow flags and not enough racing!!! Also, the small track is hard to see from turn one (the covered grand stands ) and that would cut down the number of quality seats to be sold. As an RMMRA fan, the 6 hour drive from Denver to Belleville is my chance to see quality drivers at a larger venue. I love our cars and drivers here in Colorado but traveling to see the top dogs race midgets is well worth the effort. Just as an aside I loved seeing midgets at US36, McCool,and Beloit. I feel Knoxville is too fast for midgets. The best track for midgets in my opinion is Eagle Raceway in Nebraska, but the track doesn't schedule them any more. Jim Bredenberg

1 member likes this post: John P Huss
2/5/15, 12:44 AM   #16
Pat O'Connor Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprowjim View Post
The best track for midgets in my opinion is Eagle Raceway in Nebraska Jim Bredenberg
Only got to see midgets run there once -- early '90s -- and it was a great event -- Tuesday, on the way to Belleville.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belleville Midget Nationals