IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin indoor race February
12/31/14, 11:29 AM   #11
zeromotorsports

$65 for pre entry, to race for $500 is redickulus. At most it should be $40.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/31/14, 11:49 AM   #12
Re: Du Quoin indoor race February
micro23

Why do you need a tire rule to get more competitive racing? The guys that are running up front will still be running up front, and the guys in the back will still be at the back. Some people are always going to have more hp. Remember, it not all about MOTOR. Tire rule to cut tire cost is a different story.

12/31/14, 11:55 AM   #13
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromotorsports View Post
$65 for pre entry, to race for $500 is redickulus. At most it should be $40.
What are they charging out at Tulsa this year? What do you plan on bringing home in winnings from Tulsa this year?

I guess it is a racing deal I don't even know why we are racing. It's them Big Promoters, Chassis Builders and Parts salesmen that are making all of the Money anyhow.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: El1teBr33ze, kart31rac
12/31/14, 12:01 PM   #14
micro23

At least someone is making money at it! I just enjoy spending it to go fast!

12/31/14, 12:33 PM   #15
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro23 View Post
Why do you need a tire rule to get more competitive racing? The guys that are running up front will still be running up front, and the guys in the back will still be at the back. Some people are always going to have more hp. Remember, it not all about MOTOR. Tire rule to cut tire cost is a different story.
Micro

You are absolutely right. The same guys running out front will still be their and the same guys running back in the back will still be their. The reason will still be the same also, some drivers can get more out of a car than others. The goal of the guys back in the back should be to work on their driving and set up to be able to move further forward and not spend a lot of Money chasing Horse Power that they envision will get them their that won't help them an iota.

We now race on the same right rear Tire that the National Midgets race on. They have twice the Horse Power that we do and it requires a very talented driver for them to get as much of that power to the track that is possible.

We on the other hand also have the ability to break that tire loose but not to the extent that the big boys do. The driver that gets the most power to the ground and is fastest through the turns is still going to be the guy running out front.

What I am proposing is make it harder for our type of car to get the power to the ground by switching to a Right rear with a 10" tread instead of a 12+" tread. It will be much easier to break that tire loose than the larger tire, also them guys in the back will really get a kick out of BUZZING their tires. Plus left rear tire are a lot cheaper than right rears and if the compound is hard enough it should result in longer tire life. (Now is the time to bring up tire chemicals). My response would be I would rather have a driver than a 55 gallon drum of go faster tire juice.

This is just the reasoning of an old over the hill racer that would like to see racing "Live Long and Prosper".

God Bless old "Henry Hall" wherever you are, I never would have thought I would be thinking like you but I ain't never been this old before either.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/31/14 at 7:59 PM.

12/31/14, 2:59 PM   #16
micro23

I like your statement should last longer. Heat cycles on harder tires come into play also. Don't forget that.

12/31/14, 4:19 PM   #17
goforit14

I understand for promoter the cost of indoor is high, but the cost for one race event (travel + entry) does not make sense to me. I don't have good answer to the problem. But if they had a two day event where we could get in multiple races that would make it more attractive to us long distance haulers..

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/31/14, 4:22 PM   #18
DAD

Micro

Heat cycles matter when you race full Midgets that is why we can buy cheap tires now. However a hard tire would not come from a Midget team. A real gong ho racer could still buy a new RR and expect better performance even with a hard tire, It is darned near impossible to make rules against people that want to spend money. May be date the tires and say no new tires until this one is one month old (lots of bookwork for somebody). Then they would just cut them down every night and probably somebody would have a pocket knife fold down on their finger and want to sue you..

Honest Dad himself

12/31/14, 4:45 PM   #19
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit14 View Post
I understand for promoter the cost of indoor is high, but the cost for one race event (travel + entry) does not make sense to me. I don't have good answer to the problem. But if they had a two day event where we could get in multiple races that would make it more attractive to us long distance haulers..
Go

racing is expensive, You would loose money if you won every feature and entry was free. You make money racing with well healed sponsors, They are pretty scarce right now. Some racers race for glory, some racers race for money and some racers race to enjoy themselves. I being the latter. I don't expect to break even, I try to cut my losses as best I can. I don't expect for the race to pay my way their but sometimes I do pray that I will make enough to get back home.

Watching guys promote races or run race tracks all we see is what they take in and most of us have no Idea about how much is going out the other end to put the show on. The purse is not usually the big expense it is all that nickle and dime stuff that hurts the profit margin.

There are a lot of races we don't go to, and the reason is "WE can't afford to go" So we don't go, ain't no sense of crying.

I hope we have a good turn out, for our sake and for Steve's sake. It is 200 miles for us and that is about our limit $500.00 to win or $5000.00 to win, right now I am praying over the old transmission in our truck.

Honest Dad himself

PS Go where are you coming from?
Last edited by DAD; 12/31/14 at 8:01 PM.

12/31/14, 6:33 PM   #20
goforit14

Honest Dad,
Home is Bloomington, Il.. So it is 200 miles for us also. (one way). Been racing on and off long time and your right, never make money.. I do it for the fun of it and when the day comes when its not fun, I am done. But have to pick and choose because of expenses. Like I did not go to Tulsa this year because I blew two motors over this season. Just the way racing is. I do think though a two day event gets you more racing for your buck and it really is alot of fun when you have a couple of shots at running good. Just my thought. Take it easy and hope to see you around...

GO

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Du Quoin indoor race February