IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin
12/9/14, 11:40 AM   #11
Re: Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin
Rimrida35

Is this a Steve Nace promoted event?

12/9/14, 11:50 AM   #12
Avon Open Wheel fan

Yes Steve is promoting the event and he has asked me to help him.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
12/9/14, 9:17 PM   #13
SETracing

Race Count This Year: 57

We will be there in the Aaron Schuck Motorsports SETracing Engines Chevrolet ECOtec number 53.......could we not call them "sportsman" midgets. I have a midget with an ECOtec in it, we race hard.
Last edited by SETracing; 12/9/14 at 9:22 PM.

12/9/14, 10:10 PM   #14
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETracing View Post
We will be there in the Aaron Schuck Motorsports SETracing Engines Chevrolet ECOtec number 53.......could we not call them "sportsman" midgets. I have a midget with an ECOtec in it, we race hard.
Amen!!!! nor "limited", Lite or even the word "mini" is a bad word when it comes to race fans...they think we are a "SMALL" 2nd rate red headed step child along with promoters. as in "Oh your a sportsman class so I can give ya $50.00 a car and left over hotdogs"...just the miss conception that humans have...we are a second tier group and a prominent promoter said we are like colleges are, Division I and Division II class or D-2....got to get around that downgraded perception.....Aaron Schuck for President!!!!!!

and HEAVY on the "WE RACE HARD" part

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

12/9/14, 10:16 PM   #15
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Amen!!!! nor "limited", Lite or even the word "mini" is a bad word when it comes to race fans...they think we are a "SMALL" 2nd rate red headed step child along with promoters. as in "Oh your a sportsman class so I can give ya $50.00 a car and left over hotdogs"...just the miss conception that humans have...we are a second tier group and a prominent promoter said we are like colleges are, Division I and Division II class or D-2....got to get around that downgraded perception.....Aaron Schuck for President!!!!!!

and HEAVY on the "WE RACE HARD" part
This is the million dollar question that I talked about today with Steve who is promoting this race. I was asked what should we advertise this race as being? The problem I have is if we call it a lightning sprint race that is not correct either. This would be confusing since we are allowing several different types of cars. Promoter does not want to call this a midget race but I am not sure what else to call it to keep things politically correct.

I am open to any suggestions because I have no clue what to call this race.

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
12/9/14, 10:18 PM   #16
DAD

Set

Heck I change names once a week. Just can't get a handle on it. I am however are settling in to Sportsman Midget, as opposed to, Mini or Lightning anything. I do know for sure we are a lot closer to Midget than to Sprint anything. I have used names like 1000 cc midget, Metric Midget, Motor Cycle Midget, and even Division II Midget.

I can't help the fact that you use a drive shaft, and we use a chain to get power to the ground. We use Motorcycle Motors with a clutch, transmission and most of the other stuff that came on the motor cycle when it came off the bike. You guys have to change a few more things to fit your motor into the race car. In fact power to weight we are very close to one another.

The fact is that neither of us is a National Midget nor do we want to be. The Division II, or Sportsman defines us perfectly. We race for fun and not for Money. Most of us can not afford to race with the National Bunch. Why would we want to put such a specific name on our cars as Echo Tec or what ever. Motors change every year>>Gm is moving away from the Echo Tec and Motorcycles change every 2 or 3 years. I think that we are close enough together that we can race together pretty competitively and have a lot of fun in the process. We are the perfect for a young gun to start out in or an old pro to settle back in when the pressure of professional racing gets just plain old.

I hope to see a bunch of Midget sized cars at DuQuoin with all types of power plants. I look forward to having a ball.

See you there.

Honest Dad himself

Being old I hate "Politically Correct" any thing call an "Ace" an "Ace".

I could settle for "Midget" with no modifier what so ever. Racing together on a Bull Ring race track the average fan or for that matter me either would ever know the difference.

We would just race under a slightly different rule sheet.

What we need is a Sponsor to supply our first name for us.
Last edited by DAD; 12/9/14 at 10:29 PM.

3 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, jay mcquinn, Wayne Davis
12/9/14, 10:25 PM   #17
Avon Open Wheel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Set

Heck I change names once a week. Just can't get a handle on it. I am however are settling in to Sportsman Midget, as opposed to, Mini or Lightning anything. I do know for sure we are a lot closer to Midget than to Sprint anything. I have used names like 1000 cc midget, Metric Midget, Motor Cycle Midget, and even Division II Midget.

I can't help the fact that you use a drive shaft, and we use a chain to get power to the ground. We use Motorcycle Motors with a clutch, transmission and most of the other stuff that came on the motor cycle when it came off the bike. You guys have to change a few more things to fit your motor into the race car. In fact power to weight we are very close to one another.

The fact is that neither of us is a National Midget nor do we want to be. The Division II, or Sportsman defines us perfectly. We race for fun and not for Money. Most of us can not afford to race with the National Bunch. Why would we want to put such a specific name on our cars as Echo Tec or what ever. Motors change every year>>Gm is moving away from the Echo Tec and Motorcycles change every 2 or 3 years. I think that we are close enough together that we can race together pretty competitively and have a lot of fun in the process. We are the perfect for a young gun to start out in or an old pro to settle back in when the pressure of professional racing gets just plain old.

I hope to see a bunch of Midget sized cars at DuQuoin with all types of power plants. I look forward to having a ball.

See you there.

Honest Dad himself

Bill,

Just waiting to see that big trophy we was talking about on the phone.

Jay

www.illinimidgets.com

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/9/14, 11:26 PM   #18
DAD

Wayne

We are in fact really just plain old unadulterated Midgets. Not Second String Midgets, Not Sportsman Midgets, Just plain old "Midgets" with a different set of rules from other groups. The ARDC and IMRA race Midgets but do they and PowerI share the same rule book?

We need someone to come in and set down a simple non politically motivated set of rules to race under, and one that could used by other local groups to base their rules off of.

Honest Dad himself

PS . Trendy are you taking in Boarders? I may get deported.
Last edited by DAD; 12/10/14 at 1:16 AM.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
12/10/14, 2:44 AM   #19
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Wayne

The ARDC race Midgets but do they and PowerI share the same rule book?

We need someone to come in and set down a simple non politically motivated set of rules to race under, and one that could used by other local groups to base their rules off of.

Honest Dad himself

PS . Trendy are you taking in Boarders? I may get deported.
Actually ARDC, USAC and PowrI national are very much the same rules as far as the car and engine is......I don't care what they are called as long as the rules are the same and don't do like tracks do and make the rules so you have to stay racing with them and them only....
Biggest thing I'm up against down here is "WHERE CAN I GO TO BUY A CAR LIKE THIS?" Well you can get a used midget roller buy and ecotec engine, put it in or one with a out of date focus engine or USAC new Honda engine or a lightning sprint with a 1000cc (built/not built/1200?)..See where I'm going with this Bill...if they where all the same buying and RESELL would be much much easier....

You are very damn correct...We need a non political party or body to step in and say....

Here are the rules for all parties to adapt to without any bickering. There are about 10 groups East of the Mississippi along with 7-8 with similar rules west of the Mississippi...

1 thought is:... say 18 groups under 1 big umbrella, after my research on doing this Gator "DIRT" Nationals there are somewhere in the neighborhood of over 400 of these cars (Winged/Non Wing Mini/Lightning Sprints/Ecotec/Duratec/Focus/Honda/Quad 4/Sportsman/Lite/Midgets) out there...AND GROWING....Just on DIRT!!!... That is alot of clout and if we all stood united together with 1 common goal and a uniformed set of rules...WOW....

OK I woke up...having a fantasy there Bill, sorry....America was built on dreams..Hell I'm racing a dream and there is room for everybody...We do this for the love and Passion for the sport (or at least I do) and have not made a dime as a driver/car owner/promoter but I have been able to keep my nose just out of the water and continue the dream.

I am in hope with all that is coming to Florida we can look back and say we raced against the best of all the clubs and series that will be here and we can talk about coming back next year maybe with and even a more uniformed set of rules.

This 2015 Gator "DIRT" Nationals will tell everyone alot as far as who/what/can be competitive with each other.

So people do understand I am a retired-disabled man and spend a hell of a lot of time on this computer gathering data for each series whether it be:

DMA (Dirt Midget Assoc), PowrI Outlaw Midgets, ELS (Empire Lightning Sprints) SideWinders of Pa., USAC Focus East, SSMS (me), MMSA (Midwest Mini Sprints), SOMS (Southern Ohio Mini Sprints), AMSA (American Mini Sprints), ILLS (Illinois Lightning Sprints), IMRA (Illinois Midget Racing), IRS (Illini Racing Series), MLS (Midwest Lightning Sprints), Kenyon Midgets, WIMS (Wisconsin Illinois Mini Sprints), RMLSA (Rocky Mountain Lightning Sprint Assoc), RMMRA (Rocky Mountain Midget Racing Assoc), CLS (California Lightning Sprints), WDM (Washington Dirt Midgets) or the National midgets. We are all together in this and need to be UNITED together.....I know most will say "Blow it out your ass old man" but again one can dream...Thanks for reading..

Look at what happens when you stand UNITED for a common cause!!

ASCS / Canyon Region

ASCS / Gulf South Region

ASCS / Lone Star Region

ASCS / Midwest Series

ASCS / Northwest Tour

ASCS / Rebel Region

ASCS / Sooner Region
r
ASCS / Southwest Region

ASCS / Sprints on Dirt

ASCS / Warriors Region

ASCS SoCal Sprint Series

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DAD
12/10/14, 3:19 AM   #20
jdull99

How about the "(amount of winning prize money) Midgets"? Like "$500-$900 Midgets"? The higher the number, the cooler it would sound...kinda like "600 Sprints" or anything that adds "600" to the name, sounds better than "micro" or "mini"...I wish "restricted midgets" didn't sound bad...that is what it is...smart people actually have come up with rules to "restrict" resources and try to keep the cost below $40,000...there is nothing wrong with that...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5 members like this post: DAD, kgray1974, PatrickMead#13, Task Force, Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sportsman Midget/Lightning Sprint Race at DuQuoin