IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question
12/4/14, 1:05 PM   #21
Re: Lightning Sprint Question
DAD

Bobby

We are in fact an entry level class. As an entry level class the newer racers tend to look for reasons for poor performance. For some reason it is always the engine that gets the blame, when in fact the engine whether it be a so called $10,000.00 hot rod or a box stock right off the bike drop in is probably the most even and consistent part of the whole program. If I could have any thing I wanted to race with my wish would be for a new right rear for every race. Like John Godfrey once told me "any race car can be made to handle" They may require different set ups but a guy in the know can work with any of them. I place a lot of importance on shocks and suspension, probably the most over worked parts on a race car. But when it comes down to the bottom line the guy setting the car up and most important part of the puzzle the guy sitting in the seat is what produces a winning combination.

I know with a monicker like "Honest Dad" everybody thinks I must be a cheater The "Honest" part I actually stole from old "Honest Charlie Himself" one of my Hero's, Dad is from the name of my business that I actually chose to honor my Dad who along with Ralph Potter helped me get started in the Muffler shop business. I take both the Honest and Dad titles very seriously.

Racing is more to some of us than just winning every time we go out. You may have the best of everything but if you your self are just beginning to drive don't set your site on dethroning some of these older and more experienced drivers, Don't throw your money away right off the bat looking for that big secret weapon motor because it just ain't there. If Having fun to you is winning all the time and kissing the trophy girl, you need to be looking for another sport.

We expect you guys to pay your dues, If like Bobby Laynes you have already payed your dues come down maybe we can sit you in a car for a test>>>>You don't know what you are missing.

Honest Dad himself

PS Bobby my vote would be to put the "Shoe" himself in one of these things. Did I mention I once thought about canning and selling "Shuman Traction Control" to up and coming racers. Think on that one Casey it would fit right in with your shirts and things.
Last edited by DAD; 12/4/14 at 1:17 PM.

12/4/14, 2:20 PM   #22
cbaumeyer48

DAD.... Do you have a realese date for your book?

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/4/14, 4:47 PM   #23
DAD

cb

It is something like Jimmy Wilson and is done in installments, all I need is someone to compile them into chapters. Take my views as mine alone (so take them for what they are worth) if you do not enjoy them then there are a lot of other aspiring authors posting here on the IOW. Hopefully in all of this BS that I produce with these two overworked fingers someone just might gleam a smidgen of truth>and a little more knowledge about racing

Honest Dad himself

12/4/14, 7:10 PM   #24
cws9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd View Post
It is pretty neat when some of the older experienced drivers jump into these cars. The first thing that I hear is they had no idea these cars were that fast. I have Casey Shuman in my 49 at the Shootout to try and get some excitement about the Lightning Sprints at the Shootout.
To prove your point about drivers and setup and not engines: I remember the summer before Jesse Hockett passed, he was at Grain Valley with his non wing sprint to run a race and the MLS (with wings) was there that nite as well. He came over to me and said he would drive one of our cars that nite if there was an open seat. He jumped into 15 year old car with a keyed rear axle and a older engine. Started at the back of the feature and came to 3rd before the laps ran out. If there had been 2 or 3 more laps, he probably would have won it. We are talking about a car that probably had not seen a better finish than 7 or 8th.
<<<<My avatar picture is of Jesse Hockett driving my car that night. Had the steering not broke in the heat race relegating him to tag the feature....I'm sure he would have won. It was the fastest my old car had ever gone. A yellow flag or 3 more laps and he had a chance. The feature went green to checkers.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/4/14, 9:23 PM   #25
suzuki756

I am sorry but saying a good HP power plant is a waste is crazy !!

12/4/14, 9:30 PM   #26
bn kleen

Their not saying it's a total waste, but if your not hooking up then more horse power it is a waste. If the rules are saying stock engines, then where is the extra hp coming from? Like dad I would rather have a new right rear than hp I'm not getting to hook up. As in all motor sports set up is king.

12/4/14, 10:10 PM   #27
suzuki756

Your saying a good motor STK or a great motor tuned injection ,cams degreed , the correct flowing header/ muffler . NOT built and legal and hooked up . You will be better bone stock with a new RR tire ? I would say your crazy you won't beat it . You can put most drivers in the car with that and win you put most drivers in a car with just a new RR good luck. And there are very few stock out of bike motors out there I don't care what anyone says.. fuel pressures bumped. Ecu Boxes tweeked ect. Are they bone stock out of bike. just saying a few more just a few hp hooked up most drivers can flat foot it around anything and HP wins every time over a new RR tire . If you can't get 5-10 HP just on correct header tubes and flowing with mufflers than you guys need go back to 101

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/4/14, 11:03 PM   #28
bn kleen

This is getting monogamous, starting to sound like the karters did a while back. Look where they are now. Their $300 clone now is close to what a built flathead was. I was looking forward to racing this class, but now maybe a local midget instead is the ticket. The WE WANT BUILT MOTORS GUYS AND THE WE WANT EVERYTHING STOCK CROWD,are going to just keep making this class a place new racers don't want to be.

12/4/14, 11:07 PM   #29
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

There's a t-shirt that says "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you". I'm with Dad on this one, and the Jesse Hockett story is ample proof. And cool as heck.
Another display of outstanding car control was A.J. Felker's performance in last year's non-wing show at Columbus; while he didn't win, his run from through the field after dominating the Semi was epic, especially considering he hadn't been in a car in a while. I'll bet he may have been able to take my old 'Zook to the front...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: bn kleen, Racer_dude35
12/4/14, 11:19 PM   #30
DAD

suzuki

Every body has their own beliefs. Some people love "Kool Aid". Spend your money any way you see fit. I call a lot of the motor add ons Glittering Bull $****, (Monty I do like your Air Cleaners). They are well built and do what they are intended to do, and guys don't have to cut out the whole left side of their hoods like the old air boxs required. I do exhaust and I find exhaust to be a little on the dumb side. I build my own headers, have done so for years, You know what>>> this year everybody's headers are starting to look just like mine, Not because we are fast but because it makes our "Lightning Sprints" look more like a Midget. That don't make any sense to me. I guess we will have to start running our exhaust out both sides of the car so our Sportsman Midget will look more like a Sprint Car.

Of Course our motor has more power than a motor right out of a bike. I think there should be a rule mandating the use of Methanol only. Not because it makes more power but because it is much safer in a race car than gasoline. Another side note methanol is easy to check for oxygenating additives. If you want to spend $20.00 a gallon you can buy pre oxygenated race gasoline that guarantees you an 8% increase in Horsepower. 8% of 200 HP is 16 horsepower just by spending a little extra for your fuel. And the best part is their is no easy way to check to see if it is present in gasoline without taking a 200 level course in Organic Chemistry.

I never hear anybody saying anything about this dirty little secret. I personally don't believe it but facts are facts to some people. Yes we have to install some sort of device to get enough fuel to the engine under race conditions, Black Boxes or flashed computers, some are a little better than others. 101 was designed for people that buy their engines and race cars and not for us poor guys that have to make the best with what we have.

As far as that old right rear it has been proven many years ago it was good for about .2 seconds a lap on a properly set up race car, I sure wish I could do that but the purse does not justify such an expenditure. For what it is worth the tire thing will also work on 305 Sprint Cars and hard tires w/o treatment.

I would also bet that their are guys out their that could spend a couple of hours with your race car and beat your best times by at least .5 seconds.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/5/14 at 12:48 AM.

2 members like this post: bn kleen, jjones752
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question