IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana 305's
9/4/14, 6:12 PM   #31
Re: Indiana 305's
captrat

Interesting, but if my rum addled brain remembers weren't the cars of the Larry and Gary Show, the Pancho years, etc. all ran with USAC rules with a 305 ci limit. Pretty good racing as I recall. Not advocating, just a remembrance.

3 members like this post: DAD, kart31rac, ronmil
9/4/14, 7:07 PM   #32
THS

Speedway Motors have a lot of parts including the legal Race Saver head. Iron block, aluminum heads and injected. The heads have small intake runners I bekeive. Less air, less fuel and less displacement means less power and easier on parts!!!

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
9/4/14, 7:36 PM   #33
THS

I've done some research on parts and here is what I've found: NEW GM Block $800 (Dart little m block $2500), good Scat crank $800 (not a fan on cheap cranks), ring and piston set $700 for a decent set, rods $350-500, cam $250, bearings $200, Race Saver heads $1600. Here is a good start to long block..... Yeah I know guys, there will be many other parts needed like lifters, push rods ,rocker arms, timing set,oil pan etc..... Just trying to give people some ideas of what a NEW engine would cost to build. From what I have figured up I think I could have one built with ALL NEW PARTS for around $8,000-$9,000 with injection. There again some of these prices are on the higher end and NEW. Most of these prices came from Speedway Motors. There are a lot of trucks out there with 305s, ready to be built, for the more budget minded guys... Just a few thoughts here guys. Again this was just a quick parts search. Thanks again for all the input!
Last edited by THS; 9/4/14 at 7:41 PM.

9/4/14, 8:06 PM   #34
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Interesting, but if my rum addled brain remembers weren't the cars of the Larry and Gary Show, the Pancho years, etc. all ran with USAC rules with a 305 ci limit. Pretty good racing as I recall. Not advocating, just a remembrance.
Cap

They did it with tires and exceptional drivers.

Can you imagine a modern 410 on them Firestone Ascot tires???

The sensation of speed is relevant to the competition on the track.

Honest Dad himself

9/4/14, 9:14 PM   #35
old timer

Is there anyone on this board in Indiana that is thinking about building on of these? Just wondering

9/4/14, 9:18 PM   #36
old timer

Is there anyone on this board in Indiana that is thinking about building one of these? Just wondering

1 member likes this post: worm
9/4/14, 10:40 PM   #37
red70racer

Okay guy's, we've run a 305, have an engine sitting in our shop race ready right now. You DON"T have to buy all the light weight trick stuff. The key to the whole deal is the heads. You can only get so much air in and that is the limiting factor.
Because you can only get so much air in you're only going to turn less than 7000 RPM, with that you don't have to buy the 4340 crank and the speed parts that would be needed for a 410 class
It works if it is policed.
When our 305 class went away we went non wing racing with it and beat a lot of 410's on a dry slick track. I know all the Indianapolis guys are purist, but it really is an affordable way to race sprint cars (oxymoron)

3 members like this post: bn kleen, fasster23, jjracer636
9/4/14, 11:03 PM   #38
THS

As you can probably tell with all my interest in the subject I'm thinking about putting one together if a local tracks start running them.

Thanks

2 members like this post: Bill May, jjracer636
9/4/14, 11:26 PM   #39
jjracer636

More of a fan of the crate idea. If they could get something started my micro operation would go up for sale asap. Wing or nw makes no difference to me. Ran mods and sold out when Kokomo dropped them and price wise I could go crate sprint racing cheaper than I could build another mod or even build a top shelf 600.motor off the bike is about 1000 plus another 2 to 3 thousand in port work, rods, p istons, injection, header, and other go fast goodies or the 602 for 3300 then buy a carb and headers. Prices on parts are relatively similar so it would really be a no brainer if a local track would start running them. I'm sure payout would be much better than the 150.00 that we run for weekly In the Micro s too

3 members like this post: DAD, SWScaleChassis, worm
9/4/14, 11:34 PM   #40
DAD

JJ

Did you never try pushing a sprint car by yourself through a muddy pits? You will need a crew for sure and a 4 wheeler. Them thing will drink a month worth of 600cc methanol a night, and then you got them big old RR tires.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana 305's