IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy
8/10/14, 2:52 PM   #11
PIT CART

I am glad people are letting this site be the way Bill wanted it. I have no idea who is running it but thank you.

8/10/14, 2:57 PM   #12
Joey Woods

Well said caprat

2 members like this post: captrat, Pat O'Connor Fan
8/10/14, 3:25 PM   #13
Re: Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy
Hooligan29

It might be a good time to talk about preventing this kind of thing. Of course we have all seen drivers act like this and live through the night. Maybe our reactions make it seem like fans appreciate drivers challenging someone who 'done them wrong." I don't appreciate it. A race track is a very dangerous place. It is a place where unintended consequences have the most tragic consequences. I believe there should be sanctions against drivers doing these on scene tantrums, but this goes beyond that.
A few years ago I was at Anderson when a track worker was killed under caution when going to put a drying agent on some oil. Every time I see a car speeding to catch up with the pack while the track is still under caution, I get concerned.
It would serve racing and the memory of Ward Jr. if racing would take a good look at the rules for conduct while under a caution flag. The track is a dangerous place.

4 members like this post: Bah8417, chathamracefan, DaveP63, STP
8/10/14, 3:35 PM   #14
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

My prayers go out to the Ward family. Please lord give us all the wisdom to handle this situation in the best possible way.

8/10/14, 4:12 PM   #15
racephoto1

While I had posted in the pulled thread, I also read some of the comments. First thing I thought was ,do I miss Bill Gardner. I'm glad to see those of us who knew him aren't going to forget him.It's his house here and always will be.

Those of you who come here to cause trouble because Bill is no longer with us , forget that. There are a lot of us here who aren't going to let this happen. If you didn't like Bill's rules too bad, because those are the only rules that are going to be used here. Nothing changes even though he's gone. His rules made this place what it is, and it's a damn fine place to be.

8/10/14, 4:43 PM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

It was rare but Id sometimes come back to the site to see either the whole thread gone or a ton of post removed to the point where it went haywire. Sometimes it bugged me a bit, Others it didn't. I figured it got personal or broke the TOS and what needed done was done. Bill was very reluctant to pull a thread and put up with a ton before banning someone.

I hope that is the way things continue.
Chuck, who seen him give many people second chances even only to be proven right the first time.

2 members like this post: Phylo82, racephoto1
8/10/14, 6:31 PM   #17
sp6967

thanks jerry for taking down that thread.

2 members like this post: fish, speed bump
8/10/14, 8:58 PM   #18
Indy

People are saying Tony gunned the throttle that's the reason the car got sideways. But fellow sprintcar fans we all know what happens when you hit the brake on a sprintcar. Of course, it pitches sideways. Prayers to all involved and may the investigators have the wisdom to find the truth, good or bad.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
8/10/14, 10:13 PM   #19
Gregg

Kenny Wallace FB posting:

"I have been asked by My job at FOX Sports TV and 3 radio stations to give my view of the tragic accident involving the death of Kevin Ward Jr in CANANDAIGUA, N.Y while racing against Tony Stewart ... I hesitated to give my view but after a day of thinking about it we need to learn why this happened ... I am INCREDIBLEY Sorry and SAD to the Kevin Ward Jr Family ... I am a equal part owner with Tony Stewart and Kenny Schrader and Bob Sargent of our DIRT track in Macon Illinois at MACON SPEEDWAY ... I have been racing on DIRT tracks for 10 years all over the United States and Canada and this year I have raced more than 60 DIRT races ... About once a month I see drivers do the EXACT same thing Kevin Ward Jr did ... They get out of the race car after a wreck and walk "ON" the race track surface while cars are still going in circles to confront the CAR and driver they had the wreck with ... I have ALWAYS thought it was dangerous ... After I watched the video of the accident "Over and Over" it was clear to me that the RACING INDUSTRY needs to come together and STOP the driver from walking on the race track while cars are still going around at a good rate of speed ... I BLAME NO ONE AND THE BLAME GAME IS NOT A GOOD ROAD TO TRAVEL ... This accident was a "Cautionary Tale" that happens every week at all race tracks around the world and now needs to be banned."

8/10/14, 10:13 PM   #20
DAD

Race groups all over should look at this incident very carefully. This young man was doing what he has probably seen done many times in his short lifetime. In fact Tony has done the same thing several times and he may have been emulating Tony's actions with tragic results. I watched the video Tony hit him with his right rear tire, I don't think those things have rear view mirrors.

The young man took offense and jumped from his car to let his feelings be known, just like his hero's in the past have probably done.

I dislike rules more than most however Had their been a rule in place that leaving the car and making such a response would be met with a first time offender of a 1 year suspension he just might have stayed in his car and the debate about pinching him off could be continued in the pits or parking lot and he would be alive today bragging about outrunning Tony.

Maybe this can be a learning moment as well as a time for grief for us.

God Bless Kevin's Family and friends in this terrible point in their life.

Bill Jones
Last edited by DAD; 8/10/14 at 10:29 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Comments on Stewart/Ward Tragedy