IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Letter from Kevin Miller
7/2/14, 10:44 PM   #31
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I thought racing meant trying to beat the best . Apparently those red and black cars r the best right now . But the drivers of those 3 cars have won in other cars too .

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, kundog
7/2/14, 10:58 PM   #32
Re: Letter from Kevin Miller
Will Shunk

Keith, I am a non wing fan forever but decided to take in the All Star show @ Limaland Speedway last Friday night. I was so pleased to see you, Christopher Bell, and what I believe was a MoPar in your winged sprint car. I was pleased not because your team was going to dominate but because another quality team was in the field of 45 cars for my racing entertainment. You are "for the good of the sport" because you raise the bar just like so many have before you. Thank you for your passion and love of the sport!

PS. 20 winged pavement cars at Toledo tonight. Hell of a finish with Troy DeCaire climbing through the field to take the lead only to have JoJo Helberg take it back with a few laps to go. WOW two wing shows in five days.
Last edited by Will Shunk; 7/2/14 at 11:02 PM.

7 members like this post: AustinSprinter, fish, FishBurger, kundog, mtek56, Mud Packer, randy j
7/10/14, 11:46 PM   #33
mcgerigle

O.K., the 10'th has come and gone. I was one of the car owners of the 11 pavement cars that paticipated in what was probably the last of the Night Before The 500. I had my own reasons for dusting off a car after 3 years and towing 1300 miles each way from New Mexico to participate. Suffice it to say that a picture on my office wall signed by my 15 yr. old driver saying it was the most exciting night of his life is all the payoff I needed. He came up through USAC'S junior ranks and performed very well considering he had never been in a National midget or been on IRP.

If you want to know what is wrong with USAC, look no further than the fact that I never got a call inquiring as to whether I would be attending the July 24 race. I cannot imagine another racing organization that treats it's participants in this fashion. We completed all the laps and finished 5'th. Why wouldn't we be invited back? Would you as a promoter be too busy to contact the actual participants and inquire as to their intentions? Until this changes it makes no difference the venue or the car type. Wish there was a real board of directors and I was on it-this would never happen

7/11/14, 6:32 AM   #34
midget96

USAC customer service?

1 member likes this post: RACEMS41
7/11/14, 7:31 AM   #35
usac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget96 View Post
USAC customer service?
That is the number one problem with USAC they don't care !!!!! If its not Kevin Millers ideal he wont listen.

1 member likes this post: RACEMS41
7/11/14, 9:01 AM   #36
thebus79h

My buddy still hasn't heard back from the USAC office. If they cared they would be beating down doors to get the cars to show up, and do everything they can to keep them.

7/11/14, 9:20 AM   #37
SPRINTCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kundog View Post
Tim, I would love to have two days off from my corporate job, but my wife demands that I work this holiday weekend to put food on the table, so I must go continue to ruin the sport.
Damn, the sprintcar folks ought to be glad your not running some sprintcars every week! Keep up the good work. You are helping some amazing drivers move up to the next level. Even if I wish they would keep racing sprints and midgets.

7/11/14, 9:28 AM   #38
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgerigle View Post
If you want to know what is wrong with USAC, look no further than the fact that I never got a call inquiring as to whether I would be attending the July 24 race. I cannot imagine another racing organization that treats it's participants in this fashion. We completed all the laps and finished 5'th. Why wouldn't we be invited back? Would you as a promoter be too busy to contact the actual participants and inquire as to their intentions? Until this changes it makes no difference the venue or the car type. Wish there was a real board of directors and I was on it-this would never happen
O.K., Really? This what is wrong with USAC?

Believe me when I say that I could write a book as to the issues at USAC, but this borders on ridiculous. Credit is due that you came up from New Mexico. In fact, that is amazing in this day and age for someone to travel that far, for one event. Glad it went well, and seemed to be worth the $ spent for you, and your driver!
But now they're supposed to call you every time there is a race? The letter clearly states that the entry form is below, which contains pretty much every bit of information you could need. If your going, fill it out and go race. What do you need a phone call for?

You say that you cannot imagine another racing organization that "treats" it's participants in this fashion. What? Are you being treated bad? Unfairly? Rudely, etc.? You didn't get phone call, so now you're being treated bad? A phone call that would accomplish exactly what? Other than saying the obligatory thanks for driving all that way last time, are you going to do it again? What more can be discussed other than re-hashing what is already on the entry blank, or you asking for some sort of "deal"?

When POWRi has race in Oklahoma, do you think Kenny Brown sits there and calls an owner from Ohio that participated in one race?

Again, could things be done different at USAC? Sure. But if you went out and bought a race car (nevermind your particular location), you had to have some knowledge of how the game is played. So don't expect to be coddled by this, or any other sanctioning body. Fill out the entry form (or don't), show up and race. This "I own a race car, and should be treated special" mentality is as tiresome as average society needing their hand held to purchase a shower curtain.

Put simply another way: Do you think Jack Hewitt ever got upset about not receiving a phone call from USAC (or anyone else), asking if he was going to participate in the next race?.... (and then put it on social media

3 members like this post: Kellen Conover, Sandy Lowe, Vukie
7/11/14, 9:30 AM   #39
DAD

Much like our government has done USAC and several racing organizations are in the process of putting themselves out of business with their "Rule Book". Their philosophy of you can fix anything with a new rule is simply wrong. "Rules" are not the answer "Rules" are the problem. They have gone to great lengths to require that teams must race 50 year old motor designs in the form of custom built "Billet Replicas" of the old motors of the past. Times change engine design changes, engine size requirements change, USAC's idea of the correct specifications for a race motor does not change.

Chassis and component prices have increased with the cost of gasoline, however the cost of racing engines are now in "High Earth Orbit". At this point in time we just don't have enough wealthy racers that can afford a $60,000.00 motor and $10,000.00 a freshen up, and very few racers want to race for 6th place. That is the problem!!

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/11/14 at 9:45 AM.

7/11/14, 9:31 AM   #40
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
O.K., Really? This what is wrong with USAC?

Believe me when I say that I could write a book as to the issues at USAC, but this borders on ridiculous. Credit is due that you came up from New Mexico. In fact, that is amazing in this day and age for someone to travel that far, for one event. Glad it went well, and seemed to be worth the $ spent for you, and your driver!
But now they're supposed to call you every time there is a race? The letter clearly states that the entry form is below, which contains pretty much every bit of information you could need. If your going, fill it out and go race. What do you need a phone call for?

You say that you cannot imagine another racing organization that "treats" it's participants in this fashion. What? Are you being treated bad? Unfairly? Rudely, etc.? You didn't get phone call, so now you're being treated bad? A phone call that would accomplish exactly what? Other than saying the obligatory thanks for driving all that way last time, are you going to do it again? What more can be discussed other than re-hashing what is already on the entry blank, or you asking for some sort of "deal"?

When POWRi has race in Oklahoma, do you think Kenny Brown sits there and calls an owner from Ohio that participated in one race?

Again, could things be done different at USAC? Sure. But if you went out and bought a race car (nevermind your particular location), you had to have some knowledge of how the game is played. So don't expect to be coddled by this, or any other sanctioning body. Fill out the entry form (or don't), show up and race. This "I own a race car, and should be treated special" mentality is as tiresome as average society needing their hand held to purchase a shower curtain.

Put simply another way: Do you think Jack Hewitt ever got upset about not receiving a phone call from USAC (or anyone else), asking if he was going to participate in the next race?.... (and then put it on social media
When you've got 11 cars that show up IN Indianapolis, 13 at DuQuoin last September... I think you are calling anybody and everybody

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Letter from Kevin Miller