IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt Track Prep
6/16/14, 11:30 PM   #11
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Good looks? You really need to get those cataracts fixed.

6/17/14, 12:01 AM   #12
Re: Dirt Track Prep
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
And here I thought it was your good looks.

I recall reading that article when I was working. It was before I subscribed to Circle Track. Draw your own conclusions.
Danny Was that when you delivered the mail? who's mail were you reading? Just kidding

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/17/14, 12:39 AM   #13
Kinser11

If most tracks would hire a Farmer to do track preparation it would help, and the promoter could spend more time promoting the track. People don't understand how much time and cost involved with track preparation. The great thing about racing their all on the same track. Some our just better at knowing what the dirt will do. At a rain delay years ago at Eldora, people were wondering why Earl (was a farmer for many years) had not start working the track yet. He informed USAC and anyone who would listen. He could not touch the track until the sidewalks were dry, or it would rut and the driver would holler, about that. Every track is different due to soil condition, the amount sand, silt, and about 30 different types of clay, particle-size distribution. Eldora tried Tommy's leaf system a couple years ago, and everyone complain about it being a dust bowl at the first USAC show of the year. If the EPA still let tracks use Calcium Chloride it would solve a lot of the problem. I always thought, the college at Lima, Ohio would come up with something to aid in moisture retention. I have farmed enough as most good farmers know what to do to hold moisture in the ground, and what to do to take it out. In the horse industries they are trying different products in indoor riding arenas, to control dust, with some success, but cost might be prohibited. I am sure it takes a few years to know your soil as in farming. I would like to know, why tracks don't explore irrigation systems to aid in watering during the week. seems more water could be added cheaper then the water truck. and a portable system would work very well on a 3/8 mile and below.
But I am sure the IOW, track preparation expert could prepare any track to perfection every time, once someone started the machinery for them.

2 members like this post: DAD, miller51b
6/17/14, 7:53 AM   #14
DAD

There used to be an old saying about race tracks. It went something like this "Dirt tracks are best for the racers and pavement tracks or best for the promoters." Whenever you want to complain just remember it ain't too hard to replace that dirt with asphalt, it has been doe in the past and the reason was usually to make the track owners job easier.

The best tracks that we have raced on were usually broke up right after the last race, and farmed all week long or until the next race.

Charlestown Indiana had the possibility of being an excellent dirt track. It has very little clay in it but the guy who owns it now is a dirt mover construction man and did an great job of giving us a very good racing surface the last time we raced there. I talked to him about the prep and he told me it took two weeks of work to get it ready for our race. That is a lot of work and I guess he thought of much better ways to make money than on a race track.

Dirt tracks change, not just from week to week, but minute to minute, we all like to complain about the track prep. If you wanted to help I bet the track could pencil you in for a few hours of volunteer work each and every week.

Honest Dad himself

6/17/14, 8:54 AM   #15
johnnythunderhead
Banned

the old (original) track of w. va. speedway ( a huge 5/8ths) had a sprinkler system all the way around and watered itself

6/17/14, 1:25 PM   #16
Keith Ford

Paragon Speedway is For Sale or Rent now is a good chance to try your hand & (back) at track prep. Thank You

1 member likes this post: spicoli
6/17/14, 2:22 PM   #17
kcarm92

keith always like your track prep not overyly watered and smooth and others must too because your not short on cars like some places. jmo

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dirt Track Prep