IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Micro Question?
6/10/14, 10:23 AM   #1
Micro Question?
racenut69

Would these be better without a wing or not? I know Wayne City runs them w/o wings..Your thoughts,please....

1 member likes this post: DAD
6/10/14, 11:27 AM   #2
Re: Micro Question?
DAD

Racin

600 are by nature a little Squirrely. Short wheel based high power to weight ratio. For a racer starting out wings help stabilize things and sure softens up that eventual flip a whole lot.

Racers being kinda of Macho type people think that only the real racers race without wings, Sorry Steve and Sammy.

I say it is whatever floats your boat and what ever type of class is available for you to race that you can afford and is close to home.

I wasn't kidding about those 1000cc Midgets. I think that if you took a racer out of a 600cc car and gave them a ride in 1000cc Midget it would be awful difficult to get them back in a 600cc car again.

The 600cc cars have been over commercialized and ate up with former Go Karter's willing to spend big bucks on all kinds of Snake Oils to beat the Big Boys they are racing with.

Honest Dad himself

2 members like this post: RetiredShoe, Stephen Cording
6/10/14, 11:28 AM   #3
microsprint15

I have ran both wing and non-wing micros and just like sprint cars, it's all personal preference. I prefer the winged 600 micros, yet I like traditional non-wing sprint cars over winged. Non-wing micros seem to be growing in popularity nationally, most likely due to increasing engine costs.

As far as the POWRi series, I believe it is benfecial to have them winged. It makes each class have their own identity. The winged 600 micros are a little faster than non-wing and the numbers are easier to read on some of the larger tracks.

The Miami County Fair race is also quickly approaching (Tuesday, June 24) and I believe there will be 10-12 USAC drivers challenging the locals in 600 non-wing micros. It was a great event last year.

600 micros (both wing and non-wing) are great racecars, and quite capable of putting on a show just as good as any national series.

Of course, this is all just my opinion...

2 members like this post: DAD, RetiredShoe
6/10/14, 6:51 PM   #4
racenut69

Thanks to all,I'm just a fan who wishes he could drive....LOL!..

6/10/14, 6:54 PM   #5
racenut69

Another ??..Why do the Micros run the Castor oil and Midgets don't?..Alcohol is all the same,correct?

6/10/14, 7:44 PM   #6
TQ29m

Unless I am badly mistaken, micros are 2-smokes! Bob

6/10/14, 7:57 PM   #7
ernart3

No micros aren't 2 strokes. What is castor oil

6/10/14, 8:05 PM   #8
racenut69

That stuff that Karts use in the fuel,unless my nose is mistaken....The smell is different!

6/10/14, 11:03 PM   #9
red70racer

All personal preference.
I personally love non wing micro's on a 1/8 to 1/5 mile tracks they are a great show. Just like sprint cars, you take the wing off and it takes the horsepower out of the equitation. Yes you need horsepower, just not the locked down on kill the wing takes
We've got a micro, a midget and a sprint car. For fun Peter loves driving the micro. Oh I guess he loves driving all the others too
Great question

6/10/14, 11:53 PM   #10
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
Another ??..Why do the Micros run the Castor oil and Midgets don't?..Alcohol is all the same,correct?
Most micros do not run Castor oil. Carburated, or injected, most will just run straight methanol, then purge the system with gas after each race. However, I am sure some are using the caster oil, or top end lube to keep the methanol from eating at the injectors. Just all personal preference.

As for winged or non winged, same thing, personal preference. This would be a tough place to get an honest answer though, lol.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Micro Question?