IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Motor Rules
5/30/14, 7:17 PM   #31
Re: Motor Rules
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Hey Dad, what do you need relaxing in the Montpelier rulebook? It's already pretty liberal, just weight limits and wheel width rules for 3 categories of mo... er, engine.
Cars powered by Fontana, Esslinger, Stanton, Gaerte, and other purpose built engines: 1050lbs. 10" RR wheel.
Midgets Powered By Spec Engines, Honda/Ford Focus, Volkswagen, Entirely Stock Production Block and Head, Chevy II, etc... - No Minimum Weight, 10" RR.
1000CC and greater Upright Mini Sprints - No Minimum Weight, 12" RR.
Seems like just about anything you could concoct would find a place to snuggle in.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: fish
5/30/14, 10:10 PM   #32
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Hey Dad, what do you need relaxing in the Montpelier rulebook? It's already pretty liberal, just weight limits and wheel width rules for 3 categories of mo... er, engine.
Cars powered by Fontana, Esslinger, Stanton, Gaerte, and other purpose built engines: 1050lbs. 10" RR wheel.
Midgets Powered By Spec Engines, Honda/Ford Focus, Volkswagen, Entirely Stock Production Block and Head, Chevy II, etc... - No Minimum Weight, 10" RR.
1000CC and greater Upright Mini Sprints - No Minimum Weight, 12" RR.
Seems like just about anything you could concoct would find a place to snuggle in.
So where would my 4.3 v-6 fit in the rules?....... And...................GO!

5/31/14, 1:09 AM   #33
jjones752

Good question Pat, since there aren't any displacement limits spelled out; the way the rules are written, I'd say no weight limit, 10" rim. Why dontcha throw it in that midget chassis you got and see what happens?

1 member likes this post: DAD
5/31/14, 1:43 AM   #34
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Good question Pat, since there aren't any displacement limits spelled out; the way the rules are written, I'd say no weight limit, 10" rim. Why dontcha throw it in that midget chassis you got and see what happens?
65" wheelbase, junkyard V6, and a 10" tire. Sounds like fun to me......

5/31/14, 10:52 PM   #35
rwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I remember I had a Mercury Capri as my second car. Not the ones that became Mustang Bodies in 79 but before that. It had a small V6 and as light as the car was, I smoked most small blocks 305s-350s It was a part German Car not sure if the engine was German, But I always thought that engine would have been perfect for Midget racing. Even in that small Capri, It looked small but it had all kinds of torque and would just scream, it wasn't till about 80 where the V8s started pulling me..
Had a 76 Capri, those things got with the program. With the old USRC group out here in so-cal the only limit was 200ci on any engine. They tried to even things up by allowing wider right rears for some engines. [or motors, who really cares?]

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/1/14, 7:07 PM   #36
DAD

Quote:
Jim

You are correct. Stock block and heads no displacement limit.
I am thinking about a 3500cc V6 stock block and heads. DHC 4 valve motor. New Pistons and rods. A little bigger valves Dry sump and Electronic throttle bodies. Should have plenty of power and I wouldn't have to be working on it all the time. Don't know about them big bore TRO"s but it should give them esslingers a pretty good race.

Sure wish you would have come down and looked me up Sat. night.

Honest Dad himself

6/1/14, 8:13 PM   #37
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Jim

You are correct. Stock block and heads no displacement limit.
I am thinking about a 3500cc V6 stock block and heads. DHC 4 valve motor. New Pistons and rods. A little bigger valves Dry sump and Electronic throttle bodies. Should have plenty of power and I wouldn't have to be working on it all the time. Don't know about them big bore TRO"s but it should give them esslingers a pretty good race.

Sure wish you would have come down and looked me up Sat. night.

Honest Dad himself
Hope Harold doesn't take us seriously and put a bunch of unneccessary rules in the book.
Just kidding Harold. Really.
I would've stopped by to say hi (and to ol' Robert too) if I hadn't been flying Economy Class and bought a pit pass.

6/1/14, 8:17 PM   #38
old time Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3883racing View Post
I have a question on the motor rules and please correct me if I am wrong. POWRI and USAC both allow 161 Esslinger motors and 174 Fontana motors. USAC still has a RPM limit on both motors but POWRI does not have no limit. Why wasn't chevy Gaerta's allow to go to a 174 cu. in. motor to compete with these newer motors???
Racing cars do not have motors unless the owner got a helluva deal on a LONG extension cord. Race cars have internal combustion ENGINES but amazingly some ENGINE builders call their finished product a MOTOR?

6/1/14, 8:29 PM   #39
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Real engines used steam

6/1/14, 8:31 PM   #40
jjones752

Ford. Motor. Company.