Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 500
5/28/14, 8:25 PM   #41
Re: The 500
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj1 View Post
dude, just passing it on

here, would you like to read what they wrote?
My apologies! I believe I misunderstood your post; I thought your post was referring to Indianapolis. I see that it wasn't upon reading more carefully.

5/28/14, 10:55 PM   #42
Flatrightrear

This may be dumb on my part but why don't some Indy stars show up at some big open-wheel races -- Knoxville Nationals, King's Royal, Hut 100, etc.-- as their schedules permit and get some grass root friends on their side and maybe make some new fans? Do interviews, sign autographs and just have fun and talk to people with some first-class PR. This could help Indycar get attendance at all their races not just the 500. The loss of the connection with the local track fans makes these drivers seem like aliens to too many fans but that can be rectified, at least a bit, by having the drivers come to the fans like they used to. Maybe they're high on wine and cheese and could care less about going to a dirt track but fans could relate to them better if they did.

5/28/14, 11:30 PM   #43
gastown

Amen! Listen up racing PR ppl. Lauren Stewart. You listening? How Bout more BC's.

5/29/14, 5:25 AM   #44
Gregg

Back in the day we would get 100K plus for pole day qualifying. Track records were one of the reason that brought out the crowds. The other reason was A. J. Foyt. Some people would come out just to see Foyt qualify, stick around a little longer afterwords, then leave. Foyt was the open-wheel equivalent of Dale Earnhardt.

When Foyt retired that hurt a lot. When Mario retired that hurt some too. Many people, myself included, hoped Foyt IV would have a successful Indy Car career, but that obviously didn't happen. In Mario's case, having Marco run helps a little. I'm not a big fan of Marco but he seems to get a lot of support at the track.

Maybe the George Family should have tried everything in their power to keep Tony Stewart in Indy Car racing. I could see Smoke run the Hoosier Hundred and the 500 on the same weekend this year. Wouldn't that sell tickets at both venues?

3 members like this post: dirt330, mc/rider, mowerman
5/29/14, 5:45 PM   #45
rj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
When Foyt retired that hurt a lot. When Mario retired that hurt some too. Many people, myself included, hoped Foyt IV would have a successful Indy Car career, but that obviously didn't happen. In Mario's case, having Marco run helps a little. I'm not a big fan of Marco but he seems to get a lot of support at the track.
I like Quattro, but he had the driving talent of Hiro Matsushita.

Married into the Irsay family. Hoping that means someday he decides to field racecars.

Quote:
Maybe the George Family should have tried everything in their power to keep Tony Stewart in Indy Car racing.
I believe Tony was fired by his sisters for spending his money in such a fashion.
Last edited by rj1; 5/29/14 at 5:49 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 500