IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Other Bloomington Issues
4/28/08, 5:54 PM   #21
Re: Other Bloomington Issues
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Is this a permenant rule? I thought it was just for that night to speed things up because of incoming rain. :confused:

4/28/08, 6:12 PM   #22
Dwight Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegal View Post
Is this a permenant rule? I thought it was just for that night to speed things up because of incoming rain. :confused:
Quite honestly, Susan, while the rule has been at some tracks for a while it should be at all tracks on a permanent basis. For all the reasons stated above it is for the safety of everyone. What the exact circumstances were Friday night I can't say because I wasn't there although we both know Dave well enough to know that he wouldn't endanger anyone ever knowingly. But a rule is a rule and this is a good rule.

4/28/08, 6:17 PM   #23
rhamilton91

if they make it so that you cant get on it at all there would be way more torn up suff on the first lap and alot more mad people... think about if a guy goes out thinking its goona be pretty slick doesnt get to see what his/her car is going to do in the first corner the green drops and the car grabs a big push right into what well probally the cars on the top of the track which then causes a chain reation of bad things to come so if your gonna make a rule like that then it would be wise to give everyone a lap or two after everyone is running and all the track personel out of the way just my opinion.... could save alot of torn up stuff.....

4/28/08, 6:40 PM   #24
sceckert

Regarding the rule: It was employed last year, at some point. As to whether it existed before the 2007 season and just never was apparent, I don't know, but I doubt it. The rule itself is entirely practical from a safety standpoint, as it doesn't allow the inattentive few any leniency anymore than a racer like Darland, who isn't about to jeapordize a track worker with excessive dangerous behavior.
The problem seems to be that it is a rule not generally employed most anywhere else, where Dave can get pushed off for any heat, gas it up for a few seconds to test the (in this case, nonexistent) cushion, then get slowed down and back to sensible pushtruck-conscious speeds. Apparently the mention of the rule and its consequence didn't leave enough of an impression on Darland at the drivers' meeting that he recalled it when he was pushed off and a couple decades of instinct took over. One point should at least be unanimous: Though Dave Broke The Track Rule His Actions In This Case Endangered NOBODY.
Last season, as Aero referred to, the track had this same rule, and supplemented it by allowing a lap to a lap and a half of formation hotlapping, which was, frankly, awfully confusing to witness the first couple times. It resembled a chaotic start to an event not properly aligned, but it was accepted and didn't mess things up much (until somebody jumped three and got hauled out of the drainage canal before so much as a green flag was waved).
My completely unsubstantiated guess is that some pushtruck was likely struck, or a corner worker/quad official forced to jump to safety some time early in the season by some driver who was not giving the track in front of him the kind of attention someone sitting on over 700lbs of horsepower owes the situation. Maybe he was text-messaging while he drove--you know kids these days...Or a pushtruck driver or windshield was struck by something launched off a rear tire.
So the rule is set, and don't expect it to ever go away from Bloomington's rulebook. Expect, in fact, that more tracks will adopt it, which will leave fewer excuses to anyone having difficulty adjusting at present.
But let's not throw Dave Darland out with the bathwater as some kind of "anti-role model" or sore sport because he watched a glorious cushion get neutered like a housepet--this DIRECTLY affects his strategy--then hopped on the throttle to see if any trace of it still remained and got hopping mad when he was penalized.
Some benefit of the doubt to a future hall of famer who has been one of the cleanest drivers through his career that anyone can name.

4/28/08, 7:16 PM   #25
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you for the answers! You guys are very kind! Thanks!

4/28/08, 8:13 PM   #26
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Ok then, Also from a safety standpoint is a driver checking his car. Wheels tight, steering working ect.

While I agree with the rule for track workers safety. It's also best to have the drivers and fans safe by making sure the cars are ok.

Have the rule, Enforce it and give everyone a two lap hot lap before lining up.

Someone mentioned the Doty episode at Eldora. I know after that incident, If the track was watered prior to that race, They would give a hotlap session to make sure the track was good.

Chuck

4/28/08, 8:23 PM   #27
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushtruck View Post
The no hot lapping rule is very simple and is designed for the safety of the track crew, pushtrucks, officials and even the drivers themselves. When the yellow light is on...it is on for a reason...it is not safe for the cars to be at speed or hot lapping...even in one or two corners.

I personally have been hit by large rocks and chunks of clay, nearly knocked unconcious, required first aid from the ambulance, had my windshield shattered, headlights knocked out, lightbar broken and side glass broken from sprint cars hot lapping while the yellow light was on.

As an MSCS official, I was nearly run down by a sprint car hot lapping under the caution while trying to retrieve a brake rotor from the track. There is no excuse good enough to justify getting a track worker or official injured or killed. The driver who nearly hit me told me he thought the yellow light was on for the disabled car in turn one and it would be ok to hot lap through 3 & 4. I was picking up the debris in turn 4 from the car in turn one.

The bottom line, if the caution light is on, it is on for a reason. It is unsafe to hot lap or be on the throttle. I applaud Bloomington Speedway for enforcing the rule regardless of who breaks it. I applaud MSCS for having and enforcing the same rule.

Joe
AMEN!

4/28/08, 8:30 PM   #28
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post

Have the rule, Enforce it and give everyone a two lap hot lap before lining up.
How do you enforce that? What if a guy takes 2 and half laps? What about the guy who takes 3? Do you keep the yellow on? If a driver spins does he go to the tail? Does that count towards a 2 spin rule? If a fan would be unsafe as you stated wouldn't they be just as endangered during the hot lap?

Funk, who thinks everything is easy when you solve all problems in front of your computer.

4/28/08, 8:51 PM   #29
Eck

To paraphrase the esteemed spokesman Yosemite Sam, "If there's anything I hate worse than an Eckert, it's two Eckerts." Or rabbits.

I discussed Bloomington's unique rule last year with Kevin Briscoe, and he thought the World of Outlaws had the best method: everyone pushes off, everyone juices it once or twice, and everyone assembles behind the pace vehicle. Simple. Obviously, anyone retrieving debris should be protected by a corner flagman or truck with flashing lights. But even the best can lapse. Sammy Swindell drilled Workin' Woody at Chico and another push truck at Lernerville full throttle.

Dropkicked in the Murphys. That was good. Welcome to Indiana Open Wheel, also known as the Dean Mills Booster Club.

4/28/08, 9:38 PM   #30
Pushtruck

I have worked many World of Outlaws shows including all three days of the World Finals in Charlotte last year. Actually their procedure requires all drivers to remain at a slow pace with the caution light on until all cars are fired and the track is clear of pushtrucks and workers. The drivers remain strung out around the track until they are given the signal to lineup, at which time they usually turn out the yellow light and allow the cars to hotlap around to the pacecar and get in formation.

This is a safe way to allow the drivers to check out the track and their racecars without endangering workers. I employed the same procedure the last year I was the race director for MSCS.

Joe

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Other Bloomington Issues