IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your Kids Chance at Trying Out a Quarter Midget
3/18/14, 9:00 PM   #11
Re: Your Kids Chance at Trying Out a Quarter Midget
chance2195

Tyler Courtney, Cooper Clouse, Sarah Fisher, Bud McCune & Tyler Loughmiller. I'm sure there will be a few more this year who where running .25s last year. My son started at an arrive N drive. It is amazing how a win can change someone's life. Attitude and grades improve over night.

2 members like this post: DAD, loosewheel
3/18/14, 11:15 PM   #12
DAD

Chance

Quarter midget racing isn't for every kid or every family. It takes a lot of commitment to do it and do it right. This commitment usually carries over into school work and attitude about life in general. The secret is to find out what the kid is really interested in and help them achieve their dream. Sounds like you made a right turn.

I have a friend who has raced since he was 5 years old and loves it. His son on the other hand is going to be a basket ball player. He got the kid several cars cars and the kid just doesn't relate to them at all. So my friend while still racing himself full time is spending a whole lot of time out of his racing life taking the boy all over the state of Indiana to AAU basket ball games. When you find that secret passion that your kid has follow it and have fun doing it.

I grew up with 3 younger brothers 2 of us were bitten by the racing bug the other two could care less about it, It just doesn't make sense>

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/18/14 at 11:20 PM.

3/18/14, 11:55 PM   #13
Johnjohnsonjr

Where is the best place to get .25 midget parts. New wheels, seat, motor up dated. The list goes on and on. We built a car back in 2009. But after 1 race we found out he was blind in one eye. He is ready to hit the track agin. But the car needs some TLC. And he has out grown every thing. Just trying to find the best place to get every thing I need and a place I can trust.
Thank You

3/19/14, 6:23 AM   #14
chance2195

Comet kart, Zero Error, Quarter Midget USA & Fletcher Mfg. There are plenty of places to find parts on line. Most of the builders have parts too.
Last edited by chance2195; 3/19/14 at 6:27 AM.

3/19/14, 10:00 PM   #15
TQ97

It would probably be easier to list who didn't get started in quarter midgets.....

Some names not yet mentioned that went on to bigger things....Bryan Clauson, Jason Leffler, Ricky Shelton, Chase Stockon, the Fitzpatricks, Steve Paden, Jason Jonkman, Denise Szymczak Cline, Nick Drake, Frank Deiny, Josh Lakatos, Brent Beauchamp. I could go on and on.

Mini Indy established the Robbie Stanley Mini Indy Hall of Fame many years ago. Over the last 20 years these are just a few of the names of inductees that started their career at our great little track and have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Impressive list....would be even more so if it listed the drivers from Big Z.

Dane Carter
Michael Lewis
Ed Carpenter
Cole Carter
Ron Gregory
Bobby East
Shane Hollingsworth
Billy Wease
Jonathan Hendricks
AJ Hopkins
Dakota, Caleb, and Dalton Armstrong
Wes McIntyre
Dillon Welch
Kyle Hamilton
Justin Peck

About half the spots have been reserved for the Arrive and Drive, email me at mini_indy_president@yahoo.com to reserve your child's time slot!
Last edited by TQ97; 3/19/14 at 10:07 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/20/14, 9:40 AM   #16
DAD

TQ

That is a pretty substantial list of drivers you named there, and that is from only one track in the USA that by my standards is a rather young track.. I can go back further to Plainfield and Whiteland also and they are still just Indianapolis area tracks. These are just a small portion of the tracks that were and are located all around the country.

I would suggest that even if a family interested in racing do not attend the arrive and drive program they should try to attend several races this summer just to get a feel of what is involved in Quarter Midget Racing, forgive me for not saying .25, but I just can't get used to the new name, but at least it doesn't have Lightning in front of it.

At the races they can circulate around and talk to the racers to get a better feel about the sport and let the kids decide on their own if they like it or not. Then they can decide if they would really like to try it out. Best I can remember we had an antique Kurtis at the track on many race days to do impromptu test after the races, but times were quite different back then.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 3/20/14 at 10:31 AM.

3/20/14, 11:40 AM   #17
Jerry Spencer

Josh started at Mini Indy and Kokomo running two nights a week for four years and loved it.

Jerry #66j
stida.com / HalfMoon Resturant & Brewery
www.joshspencer / Facebook Spencer Racing

2 members like this post: loosewheel, TQ97
4/2/14, 10:26 PM   #18
TQ97

Still have some spots available..... email me at mini_indy_president@yahoo.com today to reserve your spot. Thanks!

4/14/14, 11:31 PM   #19
Danny Burton

See you Saturday.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

4/15/14, 5:56 PM   #20
Phylo82

My son TJ started racing at Mini Indy at the age of 8. We knew NOTHING about racing when we started.....he just knew he wanted to be a race car driver. Three years later he won the Senior Honda track championship. It was a crazy ride, and we loved every minute of it. Now you can see him at Lawrenceburg racing one of these.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt
Last edited by Phylo82; 4/5/24 at 8:50 AM.

1 member likes this post: TQ97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Your Kids Chance at Trying Out a Quarter Midget