IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field
2/23/14, 12:22 AM   #21
Re: Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field
racephoto1

Jonesy, see the post above about the Japanese engine deal.

2/23/14, 12:57 AM   #22
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racephoto1 View Post
When the switch first went to rear engines, tires were free, Goodyear and Firestone were at war. Heck Foyt and Andretti made a killing financially from the tire companies. Twin cam fords were free, Ford supplied them. You could build a competitive car on your own, ask D.O., his family built the Mongoose. Costs were a lot less.

Similar to when the IRL started. $75,000 for a motor you OWNED. You took care of it, and made it fast yourself. The drivers were sprint car guys, Hewitt, Kinser, Brian Tyler, and such. They seemed to do well.

Then someone saw they could make a buck on the deal. Here comes the Japanese with engine lease programs, cubic dollars are now required. There goes the locals.

As they say though,"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Indy car racing is proof.

^ Shame original IRL concept wasn't supported by Corp. America (Target/Marlboro/oils/etc)...SC@M guys in top rides shoulda sold tix...kinda chicken/egg deal tho I guess...wasn't enuf people in stands. I nvr understood why people didn't have respect for IRL. Idc that the cars weren't as fast as CART (at least they weren't passing out at TX)..oh well. Glad I enjoyed it while it last...til Indy 01 (one of the greatest - until Buhl spun...)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 2/23/14 at 12:59 AM.

2/23/14, 9:49 AM   #23
midgetmaniac

Our open wheel boys would do good in anything they drive. We are fortunate to be able to see the best racers on a regular basis every summer and the Nascar boys know it. They are really building up AD Because they know our little Kyle Larson is the real deal. I think the AD/KL for rookie of the year is going to be fun to watch. I agree with some of you about the Indycar boys choosing money over talent. The other problem they have is not being on a major network on a regular basis.

2/23/14, 11:25 AM   #24
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
David

NASCAR is buying up all the real talent, and POOR old Indy is being bought out by all the MONEY. Go figure, why should I watch a race if I can't pronounce half of the drivers last name.

In Indy racing the slogan is {Talent walks and Money talks}

"THE GREAT AMERICAN RACE???"

Honest Dad himself
ALL forms of racing require the drivers to bring BIG $$$ with them now. Except for the occasional K.L., or, if your last name is the same as veteran drivers, ie. Elliot, Blaney, Burton, R.C.'s grandsons, etc. You need $$$ Just ask D.D., B.S.III, B.C., even drivers who have experience lose rides do to lack of $$$. Unless your a top 10 driver, you still need to have a day job now!

2/26/14, 6:20 PM   #25
RacingFan

Race Count This Year: 1

I think the biggest shame was sitting through all of the rain delay coverage, not once was it mentioned that this group came through Midgets, Sprints & Silver Crown. Perhaps if the club they came from spent a little more time with PR honoring the talent of their grads, someone would have mentioned it. I'd rather see some clips from Kokomo than 50 Cent's ugly mug.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Open Wheel Alums Filling Daytona Field