IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nothing like being woken up by an Earthquake
4/18/08, 8:42 AM   #31
Re: Nothing like being woken up by an Earthquake
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Ironically, i've been reading a book about David Crockett and he was talking about "the shakes," which followed the New Madrid,Mo., Earthquake of about 1811 and 1812. The original quake was so strong the Mississippi River ran backwards for a while and rang chuch bells in Philadephia. Crockett settled in a region of western Tennessee that was radically reshaped by the eartquake and tremors, and happened to be great for hunting bears.

When I was a reporter at the Princeton, Ind., Daily Clarion 25 years ago, I did reports about a major event along the New Madrid fault lines being overdue.

Jim Morrison
I remember back in grade school (1990ish) we had earthquake drills in Peoria, IL because people thought a quake was so likely. Being in a class room above a gymnasium hiding under a desk with a book over my head was their idea of being "safe" during one.

4/18/08, 9:30 AM   #32
RcrSkyChk

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: n/a

I'm in muncie and I know I felt it up here, now weather or not it was someone starting a sprint car or what I just don't want to go through it again! Scared the crap out of me

4/18/08, 9:59 AM   #33
coachmeece

yea it was scary this morning i live about 25 min from where the center was

tristate speedway is about 25 min from the center too

4/18/08, 11:05 AM   #34
Jerry Shaw

I was awakened by the awesome power of nature, too. The whole house was shaking. I thought it I was just having a nightmare. But, when one of my dogs was running around the yard, with her "Hey. What the hell's going on" bark, reality set in. So, I turned on the TV and both local stations were all over it. At a revised 5.2, they say this was the second most powerful earthquake ever felt in this part of Indiana. Right after the 5.3 one, in 1968. It's not California or Southeast Asia, but definitely enough to give you some empathy for what the have to go through.

Hopefully, the next rumbling/shaking I feel is from multiple 800 H.P., 410 cu. in. motors screaming across my field of vision, in a place further away from the epicenter of this thing.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

4/18/08, 11:06 AM   #35
Onlydirt

Kokomo is falling apart! Two nights ago we had a sonic boomb by a couple of F-16's playing lazer tag. That turned into a meteorite, UFO, Plane Crash..... This morning we have an earthquake? I missed it. I slept through it...my dog is fired he slept through both "Events". I highly recommend a Tempur Pedic Mattress because I slept through the quake.

4/18/08, 11:13 AM   #36
Jerry Shaw

Uh-oh. Aftershock.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

4/18/08, 11:16 AM   #37
mortboyz

Yep, felt it here too, Jerry!

4/18/08, 11:16 AM   #38
Brat47

Just felt an aftershock here in Brownsburg at 11am.

4/18/08, 11:17 AM   #39
Redbone

Another aftershock here in Indy at 11:15!:eek:

4/18/08, 11:26 AM   #40
Eagle14

Right now in EVSC Evansville Vandenburg County School system... kids are under desks for after shocks we've had.. kinda crazy.. and no Dan I didnt sleep through it... thought I was shmammered and could stand up straight.. turns out not this time..haha. But seriously.. not cool. Not a big fan of the whole shaking thing...felt like a young pup tryin to walk in a moving truck bed... I am sure Shortbus survived.. he is a rock!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Nothing like being woken up by an Earthquake