IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vintage Midget Racing Drivers.
10/13/13, 9:09 PM   #1
Vintage Midget Racing Drivers.
oldcemar

Hi all you vintage Midget racing fans, here in Iowa I grew up right after WWII, watched the midgets starting in 46, Cemar Acres, Hawkeye Downs, Davenport, Moline, Sun Prairie, some tracks I forgot, most were Cemar, Hawkeye Downs, Davenport. Just last year became friends with a driver whose name I heard many times on the PA system, Johnny Hobel, he is 95 and in good health and still vintage races with the MVVRCA with his Edmunds VW Midget or Shores Sprinter, he has a perfect memory and tells all the stories exactly the same with no bull. He started out with his 33 midget then his 5 Dads Root Beer midget, then his Al Wiley #12 Midget like the one on the 1988 May Open Wheel cover with him in it he made, then last his Offy midget he drove for a win at the inaugural midget race at Lakeside in KC Kansas in 1955 and then again at the Hut Hundred in October 1956 that Tony Bettenhausen won. Along the way he also drove the Kurtis 500A with a Chrysler Hemi in it on dirt in 1953 at Milwaukee and DuQuoin, trying to get it to handle so he could run it at Indy. He has a lifetime of stories about racing, the drivers and their cars and the tracks, I am having trouble remembering all the stories, his wall has photos of racing from the 30,s 40,s 50.s original and never seen before, midget drivers from the AAA, and the Midwest tracks, all his friends, its a group of racing history not on a computer or in any book. So anyone gets over near Cedar Rapids give us a heads up and come see his cars and hear some great all true stories if you eat and breathe vintage midget racing like we do. Bob.

6 members like this post: John P Huss, Midget 89, old time Hoosier, RayPro33, Red Hat, Russ
10/14/13, 7:34 AM   #2
Re: Vintage Midget Racing Drivers.
dave

get a recorder or camera the next time you talk to this guy what a treasure his stories must be

2 members like this post: John P Huss, Midget 89
10/14/13, 11:29 AM   #3
Midget 89

Great Stuff! I agree with Dave.

Last edited by Midget 89; 10/14/13 at 11:30 AM.

10/15/13, 9:11 PM   #4
oldcemar

I will check into that, thanks.

10/15/13, 9:12 PM   #5
oldcemar

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Vintage Midget Racing Drivers.