IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #11 9/20/13 4:10 PM
Originally Posted by WRP DK:
what is the biggest track length you think would be safe for non wing mini sprints? Frankly I think WRP would be scary but may be about the biggest you would want to go (1/3) mile. We have had some requests to run non wing mini's but we just didn't want to make it a points event.
If there was enough racers that would be willing to run it non wing but any more I don't know if many will because they might have newer car and not want to destroy it but I wouldn't mind running non wing at the Waynesfield but like I said I don't know if many will want to.
D.L. 122 (Offline)
  #12 9/20/13 4:18 PM
I applaud you! Another association could be bad... but its not! This is non wing! If the people wanna stay with their wings they dont have to leave! Also I like the sound of how its being ran.. good ole boys and grass roots. If I get the chance to travel next year I know where ill be(or if you race in indiana)
best of luck! I plan on hearing more greatness if this ends up working out and starting
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #13 9/20/13 5:44 PM
Originally Posted by onmsa:
I agree and appriciate your comments, Not trying to conflict with anybody elses organizations but seem to me nobody is listening in those other associations, Bottom line is non wing on these cars is way more competitive a little more dangerous but far more competitive and no more "follow the leader racing that is very boring to the fans by the way" And it lets the lower budget teams actually compete with a 1000 or a 600 so if i get enough sponsor money I think it would be a good thing...Thanks for you thoughts though......
Have you, or to your knowledge, any drivers/car owners seriously made arrangements to sit down and have a conversation with the wing mini sprint associations regarding the competitive advantages of mini sprints running non wing? As a fan, I dislike wing racing because of the follow the leader racing and big engine/money wins. The car counts are up at both Montpelier and WRP, so the changes made in the past few years are working. Some kind of conversations had to take place to get this moving in a positive direction. If your ideas about non wing mini sprint racing have merit, car owners, drivers, and fans will help you make the case with those in charge at tracks and sanctioning bodies . I love the idea of non wing minis, but splintering into even smaller groups will leave mini sprints with no fan or track support and lead to their demise. I am interested in following this thread to see what kind of support is really out there for non wing mini sprint racing. I vote YES, but unified and cooperative not divided.
stif racing (Offline)
  #14 9/20/13 5:52 PM
35 is running non wing on weekly basis and only getting a handful of cars, is this because not enough want to run non wing or not enough cars to go around all tracks running minis?
onmsa (Offline)
  #15 9/20/13 6:28 PM
Thats the plan to run some dirt and asphalt......
onmsa (Offline)
  #16 9/20/13 6:30 PM
Originally Posted by stif racing:
35 is running non wing on weekly basis and only getting a handful of cars, is this because not enough want to run non wing or not enough cars to go around all tracks running minis?
No its because everybody goes where the money is also...If we could have got some more cars and the purse would have been posted every weekend we would have been fine at 35...were running there tomorrow.....
onmsa (Offline)
  #17 9/20/13 6:35 PM
Originally Posted by Will Shunk:
Have you, or to your knowledge, any drivers/car owners seriously made arrangements to sit down and have a conversation with the wing mini sprint associations regarding the competitive advantages of mini sprints running non wing? As a fan, I dislike wing racing because of the follow the leader racing and big engine/money wins. The car counts are up at both Montpelier and WRP, so the changes made in the past few years are working. Some kind of conversations had to take place to get this moving in a positive direction. If your ideas about non wing mini sprint racing have merit, car owners, drivers, and fans will help you make the case with those in charge at tracks and sanctioning bodies . I love the idea of non wing minis, but splintering into even smaller groups will leave mini sprints with no fan or track support and lead to their demise. I am interested in following this thread to see what kind of support is really out there for non wing mini sprint racing. I vote YES, but unified and cooperative not divided.
Will sit down with anybody i need too, This move is to better the sport and make it better for the fans and the drivers.....As soon as the sponsors are sorted and we figure out how many races we can schedule with a high purse then we can start talking with the other associations i have no beef with any one of them......
onmsa (Offline)
  #18 9/20/13 6:45 PM
Originally Posted by hoscalecody:
If there was enough racers that would be willing to run it non wing but any more I don't know if many will because they might have newer car and not want to destroy it but I wouldn't mind running non wing at the Waynesfield but like I said I don't know if many will want to.
I think a 1/4 mile track should be the largest just from safety aspect with the tubing size we run but you also loose about 20mph without the wing.....and our association wont have a points fund to start only if it grows over the years i think a points fund less than 1500-2000$$$ is stupid anyway.....when the points fund is just a little higher than the purse every weekend just add it to the purse....
Will Shunk (Offline)
  #19 9/20/13 6:46 PM
Your response appears to be my way or the highway. You seem to want to do this your way and then talk to others. This is the classic split we constantly see in auto racing from little league to major league. I am still waiting to see responses positive or negative to your direction for non wing mini sprint racing. Unity and cooperation always win out.
wing-44 (Offline)
  #20 9/20/13 7:06 PM
Montpellier is letting the mini sprints run with the midgets most are very competitive. Most of the mini sprints are running the same tubing and wall thickness as midgets.

If it's about being safe then we are in the wrong sport. midgets run on asphalt and hall butt.it does not matter the size of track.

I would love to see and run more non wing. It sure puts the driver in the seat. I'm in for some races.
Call bill may at Mmsa and jerry at amsa.
But work together and try not to compete for car's, use the tracks that are already running but fill in some show's with non wing.
Just my opinion