Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting
2/12/13, 4:53 PM   #51
Re: meeting
cwhipple
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
You are way out in left field, don't you know nothing about racing!!!

Honest Dad himself
Out in left field as in a good driver and good setup should not run up front?
Last edited by cwhipple; 2/12/13 at 4:55 PM.

2/12/13, 4:58 PM   #52
buckshot3448

Lol am I out in left field as in motor prices and finding them?

Posted via Mobile Device

2/12/13, 5:08 PM   #53
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot3448 View Post
Lol am I out in left field as in motor prices and finding them?

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm a confused old man!!! My valves are floating, and I hit my rev limiter.

Honest Dad himself

2/12/13, 5:08 PM   #54
D.L. 122

Where has the fun gone?
It should be a limited class but not spec. All cars 1000cc stock on gas 900lbs modified 950 and so on for 1200. Weight is a great limiter on most of the tracks mmsa races on but its all about driving and setup. Any idiot can show up with a solid gold block but that doesnt mean hes gonna do any good.
Also has any one noticed how long stock motors last compared to modified motors? When they made the jr. sprints run what ya brung motors(world formula/ 100cc) blew left and right but the ones who spent less and did less typically ended up ahead. One racer would win one have to rebuild the motor before the next race and sometimes still blew the motor on the second race.
Lets go to basic limitation. Let people blow money just set levelers. No matter what keep it competitive and fun!

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/12/13, 5:11 PM   #55
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L. 122 View Post
Where has the fun gone?
It should be a limited class but not spec. All cars 1000cc stock on gas 900lbs modified 950 and so on for 1200. Weight is a great limiter on most of the tracks mmsa races on but its all about driving and setup. Any idiot can show up with a solid gold block but that doesnt mean hes gonna do any good.
Also has any one noticed how long stock motors last compared to modified motors? When they made the jr. sprints run what ya brung motors(world formula/ 100cc) blew left and right but the ones who spent less and did less typically ended up ahead. One racer would win one have to rebuild the motor before the next race and sometimes still blew the motor on the second race.
Lets go to basic limitation. Let people blow money just set levelers. No matter what keep it competitive and fun!
You are thinking like an engineer now kid!!

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
2/12/13, 5:11 PM   #56
RickyBobby

It’s a smart move by AMSA to invest in the long run. Affordable racing will be a good selling point for them to market. While they are keeping it cheap, it will be interesting to see how they compare to other groups that are going in the complete opposite direction by promoting $2,500 quick change rear ends, $5,500 mechanical injections, low production BMW motors, & racing with national midgets just to gain cars for the short run. I like AMSA’s chances.
Last edited by RickyBobby; 2/12/13 at 5:20 PM.

1 member likes this post: buckshot3448
2/12/13, 5:24 PM   #57
scott bradley1x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
It’s a smart move by AMSA to invest in the long run. Affordable racing will be a good selling point for them to market. While they are keeping it cheap, it will be interesting to see how they compare to other groups that going in the complete opposite direction by promoting $2,500 quick change rear ends, $5,500 mechanical injections, low production BMW motors, & racing with national midgets just to gain cars for the short run. I like AMSA’s chances.
I like amsa model to an extent not gonna lie . The car numbers will tell the if it's a good route.

I think your a bit high on you prices. Who is putting the screws to you?

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: D.L. 122, pjohnson, Wayne Davis
2/12/13, 5:35 PM   #58
D.L. 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
It’s a smart move by AMSA to invest in the long run. Affordable racing will be a good selling point for them to market. While they are keeping it cheap, it will be interesting to see how they compare to other groups that are going in the complete opposite direction by promoting $2,500 quick change rear ends, $5,500 mechanical injections, low production BMW motors, & racing with national midgets just to gain cars for the short run. I like AMSA’s chances.
Do you know why alot of people dont run q/c rear ends? For 1 it adds weight 2 offsets the original geometry of the car if not done right 3 slows the cars down(correct me if im wrong). It takes a lot more power to rotate a shaft and gears than to rotate a straight chain to a gear. Now with larger motors it could be benificial for the durability and also the power taken from a sprintcar motor doesnt severly affect the output
Last edited by D.L. 122; 2/12/13 at 5:38 PM. Reason: more

2/12/13, 5:43 PM   #59
TQ29m

I'd say $2500.00 would be cheap for a round trip for a QC rear end, the rear itself is about $1500.00, plus birdcages, torque tube, driveshaft, torque ball and mag housing, u-joint, gears for it, the $5500.00 for the injection may be a bit high, but by the time you get everything bought and put on, would be close, and I don't have a clue what a "built" BMW would cost, but it still wouldn't be as cheap, if that's what the buzz word is, as a chain drive setup, but, all in all, it might be less trouble, and last a bit longer. I think what a lot of people don't understand is, the price is not the installed price, there is always some machine work or something that has to be done, before putting it on the track, not like a tire or something, where they pretty much idiot proof, but even then, no two are the same diameter. JMHO! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 2/12/13 at 5:46 PM.

2 members like this post: buckshot3448, RickyBobby
2/12/13, 6:48 PM   #60
Quantrill

You guys are having a good little conversation here.

These are the rules we came up with this year in the new Mid-America Lightning Sprints Presented by Jayhawk Millwrite tour. Had to get the sponsor name in.
www.midamericalightningsprints.com

MOTOR:

Four (4) cylinder, four (4) cycle motorcycle engine only. 1000cc Stock bore and stroke only. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha only legal motors allowed.
Kawasaki 2011/12/13 ZX-10r, Yamaha 2012/13 R-1, Honda 2012/13 CBR-1000RR and Suzuki 2012/13 GSXR-1000 Are NOT legal for 2013. We will take another look at this rule for 2014.
Older big bore motors are legal, ie 1100cc bored to max of 1205cc or anything in between. These are open motors with the exception of CC limit.
ZX-12 are legal and are subject to same stock rules as 1000cc motors.
Big bore kits on 1000cc motors are illegal.
In an attempted to equalize out the torque advantage of ZX-12 motors they will be at a different weight. Please review weights listed below.
Electric self starting. Car must start under its own on board starter at the beginning of each night.
Charging system must be operational.
Clutch must be operational and be OEM
Alcohol conversions allowed. No engler injection system allowed.
Stock head, cylinder, crankshaft and crankcase. Head must use only stock parts. No after market parts are allowed. After market stock non performance enhancing pistons and rods are allowed.
What does this mean? This means any steel rod and any stock weight piston with stock compression ratio may be used. MALS realizes that it is not cost effective for the racers to blow 1-2 motors a year. There for IF motors can be made more reliable by replacing the so called weak link we feel it is better for the growth of the sport to implement this rule!
Six (6) inch offset-measured C/L of motor and C/L of frame.
Motor inspection will consist of measuring the Bore & stroke, Bore Scope, compression gauge, engaging all transmission gears (must all be operational) taking of fuel sample. All motors subject to CC verification.
Violations will result in Disqualification. No money paid out for that night if disqualified.
Correct motor year and model ECU must be used. ECU re-flashing is legal.
No after market ECU allowed.
Maximum compression limit #240 hot or cold. Anything over is illegal.
All drivers must have OEM motor spec sheet with them. (OEM manual) This can be downloaded for free from the internet.

We still have several older motors in this area and we dont want to force these guys to go buy a new motor if they have a good old motor. And with the dyno work I have done there is not a big advantage of the old motors vs the new motors.
Last edited by Quantrill; 2/12/13 at 6:55 PM.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > meeting