IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Video
8/26/12, 10:51 PM   #1
Kokomo Smackdown Video
Millsvideo

Race fans,

The first two nights of the Kokomo Smackdown are now available for viewing on the USAC Media site in their entirety. The Smackdown Finale is being edited now and will be up by Monday morning.

You can find these races here:

http://media.usacracing.com/

Thanks for your interest.

Dean Mills
Mills Video Productions
USAC Media

1 member likes this post: ByronMack
8/26/12, 11:43 PM   #2
Re: Kokomo Smackdown Video
sprinthead

Wouldn't USAC want to show their races after the fact for free? I can understand if it was live, but after the fact seems strange to me. Hard to promote USAC racing when USAC is asking for money to see the race after the fact. Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't seem very logical to me....or maybe I'm missing something here....
Last edited by sprinthead; 8/26/12 at 11:44 PM.

8/27/12, 3:45 AM   #3
Millsvideo

I am going to respond to this, even though it may not be the most "PC" thing to do. This response is my own, and not made on behalf of USAC.

That said, "Sprinthead", what you said is just plain ridiculous. After shooting all weekend, and uploading highlights to SPEED, I worked last night after the races until 6AM yesterday morning finishing up the edits for the first two nights of the Smackdown, and at that point, started the conversion program to put the first night on the web. I got a few hours sleep, only to be back up by 10AM and have to redo it because the program failed. So, after rendering the clip another way, I started the conversion program again at 1PM, and it took 4 hours to compress. Then I uploaded it and got the race posted to the USAC site. Then I repeated the process for the second night, and began the conversion process just before 6PM. After 3.5 hours, it was ready to upload and post, at which point, I started the editing process for the third night of racing. It is now 3:30AM the following morning, and I am just beginning the conversion process. I will get some rest, then upload the clip, and get it posted hopefully before 8AM so anyone who wants to can watch it. All this, and you want it for free?

This is USAC's new video initiative, in lieu of DVDs which have become passé. This is the wave of the future, getting your racing entertainment digitally instead of on a plastic disc (that can easily be scratched or broken). I am sorry you think you should get it for free, but I disagree. I put too much hard work and am too good at what I do in order to just give the product away.

Sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. I hope this makes sense to you. But, for example, if you are a plumber for a living, I wouldn't ask you to come over and fix my plumbing for free, any more than you should ask for my services for free. I am a Republican and believe in the American Free Enterprise system of buying and selling goods and services. I offer a viable product that some people find valuable, and I am not giving it away for free. And neither is USAC.

I hope you can understand.

Sincerely,

Dean Mills

8/27/12, 4:39 AM   #4
ByronMack

Hey Dean, can u just send me a copy for free? I won't tell anyone, I promise.

Posted via Mobile Device

8/27/12, 5:20 AM   #5
Stephen Cording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsvideo View Post

This is USAC's new video initiative, in lieu of DVDs which have become passé. This is the wave of the future, getting your racing entertainment digitally instead of on a plastic disc (that can easily be scratched or broken). I am sorry you think you should get it for free, but I disagree. I put too much hard work and am too good at what I do in order to just give the product away.
I hope this is not the end of DVD's - not sure I've even seen a Blu-Ray disc for sale.

I understand digital media, and subscribe to Jackslash BUT you can not beat owning a hard copy DVD of Racing / Event.

I personally like to purchase a few of the big event DVD's. But it might take me many many months to actually view the disc.

Watching an event I was at too close to the actual event just doesn't have the same effect, as to watching it 6 - 9 or 12 months later.

Besides I've worked hard to purchase a Big ol' Sony TV, Up scaling DVD player, Sound Bar, Lazy chair and a good fridge with cold Larger inside.
I enjoy sitting back, cranking up the volume and watching near on HD footage of a race / event*.

- That's what the off-season is for right?

I really do hope that delayed DVD's of both Sprint Week & SmackDown are in the works.

Digital Streaming only reaches those that have the technology.

*I can and do hook my laptop up to the TV via HMDi lead for the Jackslash & Loudpeddle Highlight Video's, but I've still brought my copies of Jackslash's DVD Release's, to view at my leisure over and over again.

3 members like this post: jerrydt, speed bump, Will Shunk
8/27/12, 8:33 AM   #6
Rick Eaton

Maybe someday USAC can land a video sponsorship that would cover their costs, compensate Dean for his awesome work and allow for free viewing.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, fasterthanu, robert gatten
8/27/12, 9:27 AM   #7
Russell Ficklin

Hope this is not the end of your ISW dvd...have been buying your tapes and dvds since you started...they help to get thru the winters here in Indiana while waiting for the racing season to start!...subscribe to Sean's site and would subscribe to USAC also if it was on an annual basis...retired and on a fixed income, so I have to stretch my pension and s.s. money for all month...for me, I would rather have the dvd to watch multiple times...thank you for all the hard work you do to promote the best sport in the world! You and Sean and D.O. are the best!

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, jim goerge
8/27/12, 11:09 AM   #8
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cording View Post
I hope this is not the end of DVD's - not sure I've even seen a Blu-Ray disc for sale.

I understand digital media, and subscribe to Jackslash BUT you can not beat owning a hard copy DVD of Racing / Event.

I personally like to purchase a few of the big event DVD's. But it might take me many many months to actually view the disc.

Watching an event I was at too close to the actual event just doesn't have the same effect, as to watching it 6 - 9 or 12 months later.

Besides I've worked hard to purchase a Big ol' Sony TV, Up scaling DVD player, Sound Bar, Lazy chair and a good fridge with cold Larger inside.
I enjoy sitting back, cranking up the volume and watching near on HD footage of a race / event*.

- That's what the off-season is for right?

I really do hope that delayed DVD's of both Sprint Week & SmackDown are in the works.

Digital Streaming only reaches those that have the technology.

*I can and do hook my laptop up to the TV via HMDi lead for the Jackslash & Loudpeddle Highlight Video's, but I've still brought my copies of Jackslash's DVD Release's, to view at my leisure over and over again.
AMEN! I have the technology to view online. Heck my computer setup is nicer than my tv, but i still having dvd's of races that I can watch over and over, whenever I feel like it. Follow the corn 1&2, 2011 ISW, and some more that I hope to add soon.

8/27/12, 11:32 AM   #9
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

I can honestly vouch for Dean as I personally drove him to and from Kokomo this past weekend on Friday and Saturday so he could do his editing, compressing, and publishing. The man works LONG LONG hours to give everyone quality coverage of USAC events.

8/27/12, 12:13 PM   #10
sprinthead

Ok "Millsvideo"....as always, you take everything personal. Not once did I mention "Millsvideo"....I stated USAC. For someone as smart as you, I would think you could have figured that one out. If you were doing this on your own as a business, like Jackslash, then I can understand you wanting to charge a fee. That is a no brainer...you act like people are just born yesterday.

As I did mention in my previous message, I said I might be missing something. From what it looked like to me, they were doing away with the free short videos. My bad. I also didn't realize they were doing away with their DVD's. I guess I missed the memo on that one. As for me saying I wanted all of that for free as you stated, you are putting words into my mouth there bud....something you like doing on here. Please show me where I said "I want this free". I just simply stated wouldn't USAC want to show this for free as a way of promoting USAC (thinking they were doing way with the short free videos).

And as for you describing to me what it takes to do your job...I could write a nice paragraph on what I do every day in my life, but that would be pretty pointless as most working people on here work hard ever day between their full time jobs and raising a family. So I will just say this instead. Congrats to you and welcome to the real world my friend.

Take care

7 members like this post: 2HWrench, ChadSmith, DirtyD, mowerman, old timer 38, Rpracing1, Vukie
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Video