IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on weekend.
4/23/12, 9:09 AM   #1
Thoughts on weekend.
sprintace20
Inactive Member

I was very pleased with the shows at Eldora and Terre Haute this past weekend. Eldora had a great surface and the firework show at the end of each race was cool and the kids loved it. The cameras all around the track and the replays on the big screen were very well done. Terre Haute looked like it should with the painted walls and well groomed facility. I am still not a fan of that concrete wall tho. Both shows were run smoothly and both features were some of the best racing you can ever hope to get. With all the negative puke i always see on here i thought i would post something positive. Thanks,

D Rod

4/23/12, 9:18 AM   #2
Re: Thoughts on weekend.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I also seen two great well run shows and seen the first two features done by 930.

Burg and THAT. For me, Hupps first win and five cars running under a blanket. Several passes for the lead. Ballou Coming in on Pottoroffs? Staab bought open trailer that the last time I think I seen it at a track was the Mopar Million and winning in the Ballou house car That was wide, fast and at times as always, SCARY!
Was also great to spend a couple hours with Doctor JJ Hughes, Hope the hand warmers helped
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/23/12 at 9:20 AM.

4/23/12, 9:22 AM   #3
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

I had a great weekend myself. Saturday at Putnamville was a good show and the track was great, Congrats to Kyle Cummins for the win and Dakota Jackson for his run, he came from 10th to 2nd. Sunday at Terre Haute was awesome. What a show those drivers put on and I love when they run the highside at T.H.A.T. Congrats to Robert on his win, doing it old school with a NO budget family owned car, pulling it in on a barrowed open trailer, that was great. Looking forward to many more great weekends in the HOOSIER State

4/23/12, 9:31 AM   #4
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

Exactly right, i was only able to go to the THAT show on Sunday, but was very impressed with track prep and the usual "Kokomo style" promptness of the program. At one time we thought we would be out of there before dark, but it was close. First heats pushed off at 6:00:00 pm and the program ran tight the rest of the night, without seeming to be rushing anyone. Track prep was superb considering they fought against the afternoon sun, a stiff breeze, and 32 fire-breathing sprint cars & 20 mods. With this management team in place i think our worries about racing at THAT can be set aside. Keep up the great work, i won't miss a show at THAT in 2012. bob

4/23/12, 9:52 AM   #5
dirtnut

The "ACTION" is back at the Terre Haute Action Track. Great action packed racing last night and congrats to Robert Ballou on the win. If this is any indication, I can't wait for the next THAT race date in about a month.

5 members like this post: cowboyhar69, fish, IndyBound, Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan
4/23/12, 11:42 AM   #6
ThrowbackRacingTeam

The negative puke on here may have helped lead to the improvements we see now. It was a great weekend at Eldora and Terre Haute. The freshly painted Action Track looked beautiful. I'm still on the fence about Sargent's track prep for he likes to pack it hard, but you have to thank him for the calcium they put down or they might not have been able to have a race in that wind. Starting at 5pm eastern time at THAT is a day race and brought back some good memories of the old days. The sprint feature ended in daylight so I think they might as well just start even earlier so the long hauler's like me can also get home early. I sure hope they schedule this weekend like this again next year, it was awesome!!

4/23/12, 12:25 PM   #7
Danny Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
The negative puke on here may have helped lead to the improvements we see now.
Joe, I'd call it "constructive criticism" myself, but you do have a good point. Lots of the other makes its way here and one can look around and see that there are those who lurk more and participate less. So be it.

The main point is that every promoter in this area stepped up this past weekend and did their best to give racers and fans a good event. I'll include Keith Ford, who perhaps looked at the weather map, checked his hand, and saw he was betting against a better hand and cancelled his program/folded.

I'll have to ***** everyone and say that I saw three good races this weekend. Sitting in a Gas City fast food joint, Sword Man 2 brought out his race car collection and after supper we did some table racing.

Asa good as Saturday and Sunday were, that may have been the highlight.

s this weekend for all of you. God bless and keep fans like Joe who travel great distances to do this.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3 members like this post: fish, Mud Packer, sw1911
4/23/12, 1:01 PM   #8
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Eldora has taken a lot of criticism the last few years (90% of it justified). They deserve some praise when they earn it. They earned it IMO. The track was 100% better (not saying it was 100%, just 100% better) than it has been in a long time. I sat under the cover and didn’t have a speck of dirt on me. I can’t remember the last time that happened. The show was also run efficiently and the headliner was completed timely. So they deserve props and I hope it is a good sign for the future.

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, fish, Jimmydiesel
4/23/12, 1:27 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Finally got to my first races of the year after being stymied by the weather and negative reaction to blood pressure medicine that sidelined me. Enjoyed a good show at Putnamville on Saturday night and a really great afternoon at Terre Haute on Sunday. I was very impressed with the presentation at THAT. There were no parking hassles, the staff is very friendly, the facility has been spruced up and the show started on time and was run without delay. Glad to see THAT return to its' former glory!

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
4/23/12, 1:41 PM   #10
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

This past weekend was the start of a new era at both Eldora & THAT. With Roger Slack now in charge at Eldora, the racing surface was indeed so much better than in past years. The weather man also helped out with a mostly overcast day on Saturday and just enough moisture to help with track prep. I also enjoyed the fireworks and hope that Tony has found the right man for the difficult task of bring Eldora back to the stature that it once held. The show started on time and was well run throughout.

I also was impressed with the Sargent/O'Connor promoted race at the Action Track on Sunday. Despite the sunshine and extremely windy conditions, they proved that they can prepare a race surface that held up very well inspite of the conditions. For all of the folks who were against the modifieds returning, I for one didn't see a negative. When the modifieds were racing, the sprint car drivers and crews were able to complete their repairs/set up changes and be ready to go when the time came. The sprinters were ready for pushoff prior to the posted 6:00 PM start time and that allowed for a well run show with everyone able to watch some racing despite the cold weather and still be out and on the road home early. As mentioned in another post, the announcing crew at THAT did a great job of giving lineups before the races starts so the fans in the stands knew ahead of time who was running.

My personal opinion is that both tracks will need additional time to bring the track surfaces to desired level. However, 2012 has started off on a much more positive note than the USAC debacle at Eldora the past couple of years and last years Sumar Classic at THAT. Let's all continue to support both of these efforts in restoring these once great facilities back to the prominence they once held.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Danny Burton, dirt330, fish, koolaid89, ronmil, sw1911
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on weekend.