IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need a little input
4/16/12, 12:55 PM   #11
Bradleyracing86

I dont care for the top bar, unless the drivers too tall... Some guys need to lower the seat.

As for the wing knock, we do both...
No follow the leader here.. Maybe follow a Ambrose.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: D.L. 122
4/16/12, 12:59 PM   #12
Re: Need a little input
supdh56

GO AHEAD AND PUT DOORS ON THEM ALSO!!!!! If they still had roll bars you would not see all the spoiled rich kids in the sport!

4/16/12, 1:31 PM   #13
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
I dont care for the top bar, unless the drivers too tall... Some guys need to lower the seat.

As for the wing knock, we do both...
No follow the leader here.. Maybe follow a Ambrose.

Posted via Mobile Device
The added pcs to the halo, have nothing to do with the height of the driver, in this case, it is to keep other cars, and or parts, out of the cage, like if you're laying on your side, on the track, and some dimbulb is watching his front tires turn, doesn't see you, and drills you right in the helmet, you think that helmet is THAT SAFE? When I started this thread, it was to find out if any owners, or drivers, had such a safety addition to their cage, I've seen them, and what I was wondering, did they feel it was effective, and was it a big deal, getting in and out with it on there, also was hoping one of the insurance peddlers would have an opinon. Bob!

4/16/12, 3:46 PM   #14
snoopy

Don't know but I've been told that DARNALL is correct. In a flip with a direct hit the added bar will spread the cage tubes out causing them to
split at the point that the new bar was added. Thus actually weakening the cage, and putting a bent cross bar in the Emergency crews way.

4/16/12, 3:53 PM   #15
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by supdh56 View Post
GO AHEAD AND PUT DOORS ON THEM ALSO!!!!! If they still had roll bars you would not see all the spoiled rich kids in the sport!

I don't think most racers get into that class "warfair" thing. Some of the best people I know are way richer than me and I'm proud to know them. Wealth does not make you a bad race driver or racer. If a kid has the desire and determination and the God given talent he or she is going to be a good driver. I'm not rich, but I sure want kid to be safe. Racing is dangerous and I know if I had half a brain I wouldn't be doing it right now. But I do, so lets work on making it safe. I'm not sure about doors, but you should of heard all the stuff said about cages and race cars when they were first introduced.

Keep thinking Bob, I don't see why it wouldn't work (anything would beat a blank). My son flipped down at Linton many many years ago and ended up with his wing being T Boned by a car behind him, the guy had no where to go "they were three wide and racing", I didn't mind buying another wing. Like I said they were and are my $500.00 CRUSH PROOF BOX. Seems to me like a sprint car driver was killed several years ago by such a hit.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/16/12 at 3:58 PM.

4/16/12, 8:38 PM   #16
Rex W.

I always liked the way Stevie Smith did his cage.

4 members like this post: D.L. 122, DAD, jim goerge, TQ29m
4/17/12, 9:18 AM   #17
Bradleyracing86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
The added pcs to the halo, have nothing to do with the height of the driver, in this case, it is to keep other cars, and or parts, out of the cage, like if you're laying on your side, on the track, and some dimbulb is watching his front tires turn, doesn't see you, and drills you right in the helmet, you think that helmet is THAT SAFE? When I started this thread, it was to find out if any owners, or drivers, had such a safety addition to their cage, I've seen them, and what I was wondering, did they feel it was effective, and was it a big deal, getting in and out with it on there, also was hoping one of the insurance peddlers would have an opinon. Bob!
Well the issue is where to stop adding safety bars on the cars. Not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that is why their is a rule for height between helmet and cage. I know many don't even acknowledge it but we do have one. I've seen many guys with 2-3 inchs of clearence and I dont believe that's safe. However 6-8 seems pretty safe, not guaranteed but alot safer. What stops someones drag link from getting impaling you. Or your own nerf coming inside with you..???

Racing is dangerous.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/17/12, 10:19 AM   #18
backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
You know "Back it in" we are probably looking at things from a different stand point. You have a a "talking point race car" I own "RACE CARS". You see things from the point of somebody sitting in the grand stands who just also happens to own an old race car. I am coming from the point of a guy that races one of these things as Bob does also. I strap my son in this thing and I do care about safety both his and the friends we race with. There are many forms of racing and racing with wings is one of them.

People don't spend $50.00 + to go watch a World of Outlaw race and see freight train. These guys if they have a good track put on one hell of a show and I guarantee you will see lots of passing. Wings may be hard on equipment but they get payed pretty good to do it OR they wouldn't be doing it. If the last wing race you watched was 40 years ago you might want to spend a little money and go watch one.

I started racing when all we had was a skinny hoop behind the driver and people called you chicken if you had one of them. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go. The sprint cars of today are ugly compared to those of the 50's and 60's. Nothing prettier than a big old car with 4 big air horns sticking out the side, BIG flared cowl with a little windshield on top and just a little bitty roll-bar behind the drivers head sitting on great big shinny tires. But nobody is racing them for money today.

In the mean time I'm going to be trying how to make these things faster and safer because that is what racers do, with or without wings.

That offer to come down and race with us is still on!

Hinest Dad himself
Well, my family has owned midgets, back when guys used to get killed. I was on a pit crew on one of the fastest modifieds ever built for over 10 years, Big Block running with a 50 gallon fuel tank, seen guys burn up while racing in Tshirts. Where I'm standing the modern Sprintcar/midget is very safe. Theres risk involved, if it wasnt for lawyers the racing would be much better today. I still race to this day. Of course its on two wheels without brake's, saftey cages, ect. ect. Everytime theres a little mistake it ends up usually in injury. I guess it's not real to you. It sure seems real to me, Real and kinda scary, something I've never felt driving a caged car.Whens the last time you looked at something from a racers stand point ? My aunt owned two midget's, she was very honest like you say you are. I'm sure she would've liked wings for safety too. Thank god the men in the family had the balls to talk her out of it. So like I've said a hundred times leave the cars alone. They're plenty safe. A halo ? sure if thats ur gig. Wings ? personally wings and winged cars literally get sick, but if thats ur gig who cares. But to talk about wings as a saftey device is asnine. And contrary to your opinion I know on a personal level more than one NY/PA promotor. The reason they wont run nonwing is insurance issues, and or they are worried about some dumbass used to wings killing someone. From his mouth not mine.

1 member likes this post: DAD
4/17/12, 2:12 PM   #19
bobby01

backitin
When a promoter tells you that he's doing this or doing that because of the insurance company look him straight in the eye and tell him that he is full of crap. Insurance company's do not make rules or tell anyone how to run there rack track. How I know this is a very good friend of mine owned the largest racetrack insurance agency in the u.s.a.
In my opinion I don't like the halo bars because if you get upside down it could tear out the tube because of the leverage factor and compromise the cages integrity.
When it comes to wings I think they belong on at giant 3/8 or 1/2 mile tracks but 1/4 or small 3/8's leave them at home.
Bobby Layne
2011 MLS Champion

2 members like this post: DAD, utex28
4/17/12, 6:32 PM   #20
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
backitin
When a promoter tells you that he's doing this or doing that because of the insurance company look him straight in the eye and tell him that he is full of crap. Insurance company's do not make rules or tell anyone how to run there rack track. How I know this is a very good friend of mine owned the largest racetrack insurance agency in the u.s.a.
In my opinion I don't like the halo bars because if you get upside down it could tear out the tube because of the leverage factor and compromise the cages integrity.
When it comes to wings I think they belong on at giant 3/8 or 1/2 mile tracks but 1/4 or small 3/8's leave them at home.
Bobby Layne
2011 MLS Champion
Bob O I think what the other Bob was talking about would be called anti intrushion bars like them dumb ol arm guards that everybody either loves or hates. That big hole over the drivers head is now his most vulnerable and dangerous spot. My son did end up upside down between turn 1 and 2 with his wing facing traffic. He did get hit right in the middle of the wing by a car behind him. Had not that wing been there the nose of the other car would have been in the cockpit with him all the way up to the front axil, I thank God for that dumb old wing.

Granted as winged 1000 cc sprint drivers around here gets better they do seem to like to take their trainers off and race ala natural. That does expose them to this big old hole in the roof. Fortunately wrecks with the top pointing the wrong direction don't happen very often but when the do it would be nice to be ready for it. All idea's and comments appreciated.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Need a little input