IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mosey Winfield Special
1/24/12, 12:05 PM   #1
Mosey Winfield Special
thebus79h

Hey guys, wondering if anybody can help me out. A guy that comes in to work in Richmond, Indiana was telling me about his Dad that ran midgets a long time ago, and the name of the car was the Mosey Winfield Special.

The drivers last name was Mosey, just curious as if anybody knows anymore about it. He said something along the lines of his dad was one of the first people to work with a Crosley engine, and also put two of the four cylinder engines together to make a v-8. Anybody got some more info?
Attached Images
100MEDIA$IMAG0091.jpg (528.8 KB, 264 views)

1/24/12, 3:06 PM   #2
Re: Mosey Winfield Special
TQ29m

That picture looks almost to early for Crosley, but anything is possible. There were several flat 8's built with Crosley parts, but back in them day's, anything was possible, imagination was KING, anything was possible, there were several midget's running, with the V8 60 engine upside down in them , to get the cg lower, and they ran pretty darned good too, and I saw a picture the other day, of a 215cu in Buick, in a midget, upside down, valve covers on the dirt side, from what the story was about it, it ran well also. In those days, your imagination was the only limit, and you didn't need a rocket scientist, and a machine shop to make it happen, they didn't just talk about it, they did it! Bob!

1/24/12, 3:57 PM   #3
thebus79h

He told me that he didn't race the crosley, he quit racing before he put it in the car. He sold it to someone in the area from what I understand.

1/25/12, 8:31 PM   #4
TQ29m

Billy, I been doin a bit of dicktektik work on your picture. Wish you had a pic of the other side, the port configuration looks pretty close to Crosley, and why would he be running a 4cyl in a V8 class, if it wasn't? The lettering on the car, Mosey/Winfield may be the part that is not a clue, but a start. I googled that to start with, then Crosley, then Winfield, and what I came up with was, the Mosey, is actually pronounced "Mossy", not "Mozey", like "think I'll mozey into town", of course Winfield, was a cam grinder at the time, but when I went to Crosley, it started to come together, a little. It turned to "Nick Brajie", who was the guy that made most of the performance parts for the Crosley. Anyway, it's a good read, the bottom line goes something like this, "Nick had a lot of work left on his plate, when he passed in 04/05, and one of those was a V8 Crosley, that he had started on, drawings and patterns, but never finshed", so did someone else do it, ya know how clever us old guys were, the impossible was just an overnite gig, and no chance was ever overlooked, even if it meant arc welding pcs together to make a crank, that would have been a challange, but not back then, the engine was built like an Offy, or vice-versa, with a cast cylinder, and a multi stage crankcase that would not have been a challange to very many guys, to change, so, looks like it's still unsolved, but very possible. Thanks for the picture! Bob!

3/19/12, 7:21 PM   #5
Beer Goggles

Here's a good story about a Crosley V8 :

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...e-crosley-v-8/

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mosey Winfield Special