IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC SPRINTS FOR 2012 - Yes or No
12/6/11, 5:07 PM   #11
Re: USAC SPRINTS FOR 2012 - Yes or No
LeviJones20

I have a few things for you to think about on this one. First and foremost I believe USAC wants to have pavement sprintcars! BUT, as a promoter would you have an event that attracted very few people? I was a paying customer along with the other 100 people at IRP this year. Racetracks have to want them, cars have to go race, people have to pay to watch! These three things are what makes the dirt sprint car races work- end of story.

7 members like this post: are39, BrentTFunk, fish, jim goerge, Mud Packer, Vukie
12/6/11, 5:33 PM   #12
Revolution Racing

Chad,
I get your argument, but you are overlooking the fact that even within the the argument you make, there are rules. Pavement cars would be faster if you could hang the engine out the side like a Super. They'd be faster with bigger displacement engines, faster with wings, God forbid.... You made the argument that you feel pavement racing is all about going as fast as you can. So by that logic I assume you are in favor of 500 cu. in. turbocharged cars with wings? Hows that bank account holding up?

Like I said originally, these things often come down to compromise. It seems to me that right now we are looking down the barrel at the end of non-wing Sprints on pavement (Midgets, too). If in fact this is the case, maybe it would be better to just say "goodbye Phoenix" and "hello Madera".

All we are really talking about is rules packages. Right now there is one set for pavement, one for dirt, and the two are mutually exclusive. Would it be possible to come up with a rules package that would make it at least POSSIBLE to run one car on both? Of course it would. And it is true that many teams would still run two cars. Thats not the point - the point is that it would be POSSIBLE to do it with one. This is what we did in the early years of the Focus program and we had a couple guys win USAC Championships running dirt and pavement, with one car. Talk about an accomplishment....

There is no question that it's do-able. There is also most likely no question that it won't happen but it does make for an interesting conversation.

All I want for Christmas is a pavement schedule in '12........

1 member likes this post: team3521
12/6/11, 6:10 PM   #13
Pavement Dave

Pavement sprint car racing has been a challenge in recent years to get cars and fans. But it can work. I went to a Must See race at Berlin back in June. The place was so packed they had to delay the race 45 minutes to get all the fans in the place. You couldn't find an empty seat anywhere and they had a strong car count. Far more fans and cars than any USAC race I have attended there. The reason? The track and sanctioning body promoted heavily the week of the race. The start money exceeded each teams tire bill. This can work and is working for a few sanctioning bodies with a little hard work and promotion.

12/6/11, 6:20 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno Don View Post
I remember the good old days when they ran Wincester 4 or 5 times a year and 2 of those were double headers with the Midgets. Salem was good also. And I can not forget The Thunder Series from IRP.

What happened to all the good racing?
You b*tched about it, So they quit...........................

2 members like this post: Checker'd Past, Seadog
12/6/11, 6:32 PM   #15
are39

Rev,
Sent you a PM to talk more nuts and bolts, but I understand what you're saying and it does make for interesting conversation in the off-season. I'm with you, I would just like to see a pavement schedule in '12.
Last edited by are39; 12/6/11 at 6:34 PM.

2 members like this post: Revolution Racing, team3521
12/6/11, 7:29 PM   #16
monkeyboy

USAC pavement sprint car racing is dead.Maybe not dead but it is in a coma.The only way to fix this problem is to lower the costs.(I know i'm beating a dead horse here.)Or strap wings on them and hope Must See would co sanction.Since the new thunder went the way of new coke does that mean no sprints at I(o)RP? Must see should try to run that place.

1 member likes this post: short track scott
12/6/11, 7:30 PM   #17
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Are all of you too young to remember that through the 70s, a USAC owner could not combine points from two cars, so the serious contenders had to run the same car on both surfaces? Then they yielded to the wishes of a few rich owners and allowed two cars to carry the same number and combine the points. It's been downhill since then.

4 members like this post: duel, jdull99, K-Dawg30, team3521
12/6/11, 9:49 PM   #18
Honest-Sam

I wonder how it would change things, if say, 4 or 5 tracks in the state of Indiana alone, ran weekly Pavement shows.

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Seadog, team3521
12/6/11, 10:45 PM   #19
short track scott

The Spartan season was swept by Tommy Fedewa in a full up Beast car. The car count was in the upper teens for most of the year, except when it swelled into the 20s occasionally.

I don't know what the purse was exactly but it was around half what the HOSS/AVSS purse paid to win. They ran a very hard Hoosier tire and guys were getting a handful of nights out of them.

Posted via Mobile Device

12/6/11, 11:05 PM   #20
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest-Sam View Post
I wonder how it would change things, if say, 4 or 5 tracks in the state of Indiana alone, ran weekly Pavement shows.

Posted via Mobile Device
Sam,

You have the following pavement tracks in Indiana. Anderson, Angola, Baer Field, Illiana, LOR, New Paris, Plymouth, Salem and South Bend. If you could get 5 of them to agree to run 2 shows each you would have a starting point. This is how the CRA Late Model series got it start a number of years ago. Doubt it will happen, but there is always hope.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 12/6/11 at 11:41 PM.

3 members like this post: monkeyboy, Seadog, speed bump
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC SPRINTS FOR 2012 - Yes or No