IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Minarik Titanium Midget
11/19/11, 8:32 PM   #21
Re: Mike Minarik Titanium Midget
dant

Heck..it's the Chilli bowl...put Sammy's square tanks [and aero parts ]on it ..one of those Aussie v8's and Kyle Larson at the wheel and give us something to talk about

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
11/20/11, 1:58 AM   #22
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Or....PJ could just go on a diet!

1 member likes this post: racingmidget06
11/20/11, 2:12 AM   #23
LocalYokel

Are all of the other components going to be made out of titanium as well?
Its certainly cool to look at, but I cringe thinking about the cost.

Id like to see how well the car could do, in the hands of a more relevant driver. No offence to PJ and all, but surely he has to be rusty when it comes to running a midget.
Posted via Mobile Device

11/20/11, 9:28 AM   #24
wobbler

I wonder if the powers to be will let this car actually run? I believe there is talk they will not allow the NZ built V8 Synergy engine back? Perhaps they are starting to introduce some rules to this race??

11/21/11, 10:58 AM   #25
DAD

Seems to me like the Chili Bowl is kinda of like the "Ole Kentucky Derby" if you want to make any money you bet on the jockey.

This does not take anything away from the car but thank God the powers that be have seen fit to impose a Minimum weight limit in most of the midget series on car and driver weight. All you need is a skinny jockey. Guess Sammy needs to load up and go to "Weight Watchers" with me if he is going to beat that young punk kid.

11/21/11, 2:13 PM   #26
suade82

First off, yes this chassis is a work of art and I congratulate the welder. However, I think this chassis is completely going in the wrong direction and there is no way I would drive that chassis. Now keep in mind I am making some assumptions here, but I am an engineer for an aerospace company and I have experience working with aircraft quality Titanium, I know for certain that the titanium used here is not that quality or it would cost as much as an Indycar chassis. Looking at the picture I can only assume that the tubing is the same size, I cannot verify the wall thickness.

Now look at it this way. Assume two a square bars, a steel one and titanium one, that are 2”X 2” and 4” in length. These bars would have an area of 4 sq in. and a volume of 16 cu in. That would make the steel bar come in at 4.5lbs and the Titanium 2.6 lbs., good so far. Now lets apply a 100,000 lb force to the bars and using the F/A formula the bars will see a pressure/stress of 25 ksi. The steel material yields at 164 ksi and the Titanium at 80 ksi (assume the highest grade reasonably priced). That means the steel has a margin of safety of 85% and the Titanium 68%. So if you want the titanium bar to have the same safety as the steel the bar it would need an area of 8.2 sq in and given the same length a volume of 32.8 cu in. Now the titanium bar weighs 5.3 lbs.

Now titanium is great to use in low loading/non-safety critical parts. But think of this, when you see a 4130 steel chassis hit the wall, it bends and sometimes breaks thus a high loading condition. Do you want to hit that wall with a tin can? To put this in perspective, think of what Shane Hmiels car would have looked like if it was made from titanium. Also, it will be fun setting it up, that chassis going to have a lot more flex.

Give me the heavy cheaper steel chassis.

3 members like this post: gearguy, TQ29m, Wayne Davis
11/21/11, 2:36 PM   #27
DAD

Always got to have a "Spoil Sport". How do they get away with Ti rods and valves. Once knew a guy that had Ti susp springs.

11/21/11, 2:53 PM   #28
suade82

Well I am assuming that the loads applied to those parts are low. Plus if a rod or valve breaks, you are just out a motor. Not safety critical parts. The majority of the use for titanium in the aerospace industry is mainly brackets. Now, I have no idea on the springs.

11/21/11, 5:04 PM   #29
SprintRacer4

I am a very good friend of Mike's, the owner, designer & fabricator of this car...if you have any doubts in what he has done with this car, please feel free to call him, he will tell you every single detail of it & the way he laid it out, why & how...he is the most talented craftsman I have ever seen & his thought process & attention to detail are unmatched. You will not see anything else that is even relatively close to as nice as this car is. And that steering wheel is just for show, built only to have on the car while sitting on stands for people to look at
Last edited by SprintRacer4; 11/22/11 at 10:36 PM.

1 member likes this post: MHess
11/21/11, 5:09 PM   #30
c47

http://www.rentoncoilspring.com/perf...e/auto_racing/

2 members like this post: DAD, LocalYokel
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mike Minarik Titanium Midget