IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou announces debut of new car
9/6/11, 11:18 PM   #1
Ballou announces debut of new car
racemedia

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
“Madman”Robert Ballou rockets to win at Louie Vermeil Classic in Calistoga, announces debut of new car
Westfield, IN September 6, 2011

After thirty nonstop laps at the famed Calistoga Speedway, Rocklin’s Robert Ballou won his first career feature with the Amsoil USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series. It was not an easy victory for Ballou as he battled with “Showtime” Danny Sheridan to claim the opening night of the 4th Annual Louie Vermeil Classic.

Driving Keith Ford’s #72 Berry Pack / A&A Precision Machining, Ellis Chassis, Ballou paced the field from his pole position starting spot. As twenty-two cars took the green flag and roared through the first turn, Sheridan took command. Looking to score his first victory of 2011, Danny fought off Robert’s early challenge as the veteran drivers sailed around the big ½-mile clay oval.

Slicing his way through the slower traffic with ease, Sheridan began to stretch out his lead. Ballou powered his way through as well and began to close in. Heading into turn three on the outside groove, Robert shot for the lead. With Danny charging on the low line, the two determined drivers raced 3-wide with a slower car in the middle. Sheridan emerged from the “sandwich” with the lead, but Ballou continued to apply heavy pressure. Still racing hard through the slower cars, Ballou managed to slip by Sheridan on lap sixteen.

In addition to scoring the $3000 feature victory, Robert Ballou won the night’s 8-lap first heat race, sponsored by Extreme Mufflers and Huntington Beach Glass & Mirror. Last year’s Sprint Bandits TnT Champion qualified tenth quick out of the twenty-five cars in attendance.

On night two, Ballou again shot to a quick lead in the feature only to have a tire go down during a yellow flag on lap 23. “We were fast, this car has the best motor in it I’ve ever driven. They brought out the yellow allowing a car to change a tire, my right rear began to go down on the caution laps. USAC told me over the radio I could stay out, however, they turned the light off to go green only to turn it back on again at the next corner. Over the radio I was told to go to the pits due to the tire, as soon as I went to the pits they went green. It’s unfortunate because I would have at least liked a shot to change it and see what I could do from the tail in those last 7 laps. If they hadn’t told me I could stay out I wouldn’t be as disappointed.” Ballou stated.

In another piece of exciting news, Ballou Motorsports announced the addition of a new car they plan to unveil this weekend.

“We are happy to announce the debut of a new car. I have been working on this off and on for a while, pinching pennies and scraping what I could together from good friends and have put together a car that I will be running at local shows. Everyone knows to be the best you have to race, I’m very fortunate to run the big shows with MPHG but the only way to be more successful for them is to race more often. I’m hoping this car will just allow me to fine tune my skills at tracks we don’t visit that often. If you look at the guys that win the most, Darland, Stanbrough, and the Levi’s they are running twice as many races as I have been able to run – that’s why they are as good as they are. I’ve been very lucky to have an enormous outpouring of help from Johnny Smalls, Pottorff Logging, Manvel Motorsports, Indy Race Parts, Triple XXX not to mention my own personal investment. We’ll take any help we can get since this is strictly a race to race deal and we have just enough parts and pieces to take this one race at a time.” Ballou commented on the new car.

Ballou plans to debut the #12 non-wing sprint car on September 9, 2011 at I-69 Speedway in Gas City, IN.

Robert Ballou, a native of Rocklin, California, drives the #81 MPHG non wing sprint car. Sponsors include: Lucas Oil, Triple XXX, Don Ott racing engines, Indy Race Parts, Hinchman Racewear, Infinity Shocks, ISC Racers Tape, DMI, Butler Built Seats and Keizer Wheels.

For more information on USAC please contact usacracing.com

To follow the team, get race updates and other information please "like" us on Facebook: Robert Ballou Motorsports or follow on twitter @robertballou81
Last edited by racemedia; 9/6/11 at 11:53 PM.

9/7/11, 3:47 AM   #2
Re: Ballou announces debut of new car
johnnythunderhead

best of luck robert!

9/7/11, 3:53 PM   #3
i love dirt track racing

will the mad man be back in the # 81 next year and what is his plans for the rest of this season.

9/7/11, 5:07 PM   #4
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love dirt track racing View Post
will the mad man be back in the # 81 next year and what is his plans for the rest of this season.
The new car is like a weekly car for local shows. Robert will still run the 81 car at the USAC and MSCS nd other BIG shows . Give them hell Robert

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, speed bump
9/7/11, 5:41 PM   #5
Need For Speed

I wonder if he had one of the MPHG team's engines in the #72?

If not.....
From the press release:
“We were fast, this car has the best motor in it I’ve ever driven."

Ouch...kinda rough seeing as how he normally drives a car (#81 MPHG) partially sponsored by 'Don Ott Racing Engines'

9/7/11, 8:10 PM   #6
wtvwrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
The new car is like a weekly car for local shows. Robert will still run the 81 car at the USAC and MSCS nd other BIG shows . Give them hell Robert
Correct - The #81 isn't going anywhere, it will be at all the USAC and other shows they are able to go to on their schedule. This #12 is strictly for local weekly shows not on the #81 schedule - and only as long as it holds together, one crash and you probably won't see it again for a few weeks.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ballou announces debut of new car