IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pepsi Nationals
8/31/11, 4:28 PM   #21
Re: Pepsi Nationals
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
The Angel Park website says that you can get $10 off the price of admission if you stay at one of the four following places Friday and/or Saturday night and bring a receipt: McGovern’s, Super 8, Quality Inn & Suites and Watertower Inn.

Hate to admit it, but this will be my first visit to Angel Park. I plan to do my usual; get a pit pass, put down my seat, go to the pits to take some pictures and then watch the races from the grandstand. Is there anything I should know? When do the pits open? Since I try to keep track of race lineups and finishes, is the sound system and announcer good enough to get that from the grandstands, or will I have to go back and forth from the grandstand to the USAC trailer to get them? Can you put down a seat when the pits open? Alternatively, do the pit grandstands give a good enough view that I should sit in them? At some Indiana tracks (for example Gas City, Putnamville, Twin Cities) the pit grandstands make great seats, while at others the lights are in your eyes, the sound system non-existant, etc.

Really looking forward to a great night. Hope to see some IOWers up there. Thanks for any advice you can give, including good places to eat.
I'm no help on what time the pits open. The sound system is pretty decent but it might be easier to get the stats from the USAC trailer, or if i bring a kid or two along we could use him as the runner! Should be able to pick a seat in the mid afternoon i would think, 3 or 4pm, maybe earlier? No pit grandstands at Angell Park so you will probably want to head back to your seat when the action starts. I could probably put down some seats if anybody is going to arrive late? Let me know. We usually sit top row a section or two down past the flagman. Also for the first timers coming, bring in your sunglasses, you will be looking into the sun until the sun is gone....maybe even longer.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, mowerman
8/31/11, 4:59 PM   #22
Andrew S. Quinn

If Morty comes up to Angell Park,I'll buy him a beer. If he does Lasalle and Angell Park, 2 beers. If he does Lasalle,Angell Park,and Kokomo I'll buy him 3 beers.

Anyone wanna match my offer to him??

8/31/11, 5:20 PM   #23
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post
If Morty comes up to Angell Park,I'll buy him a beer. If he does Lasalle and Angell Park, 2 beers. If he does Lasalle,Angell Park,and Kokomo I'll buy him 3 beers.

I'll double the offer Andrew .

8/31/11, 5:25 PM   #24
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
I'll double the offer Andrew .
We have a double offer already. Anyone for a triple offer??? It is Mortys birthday weekend........

8/31/11, 5:25 PM   #25
mortboyz

You guys are killin' me...
See you all Saturday at AP.

2 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, mowerman
8/31/11, 7:04 PM   #26
Tim Watson

Pepsi Nationals on the track.......Beer Nationals in the parking lot!

3 members like this post: mowerman, PAW
8/31/11, 8:14 PM   #27
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S. Quinn View Post

I'll buy til he does his Terre Haute tumble

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Coach
8/31/11, 8:53 PM   #28
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
The Angel Park website says that you can get $10 off the price of admission if you stay at one of the four following places Friday and/or Saturday night and bring a receipt: McGovern’s, Super 8, Quality Inn & Suites and Watertower Inn.

Hate to admit it, but this will be my first visit to Angel Park. I plan to do my usual; get a pit pass, put down my seat, go to the pits to take some pictures and then watch the races from the grandstand. Is there anything I should know? When do the pits open? Since I try to keep track of race lineups and finishes, is the sound system and announcer good enough to get that from the grandstands, or will I have to go back and forth from the grandstand to the USAC trailer to get them? Can you put down a seat when the pits open? Alternatively, do the pit grandstands give a good enough view that I should sit in them? At some Indiana tracks (for example Gas City, Putnamville, Twin Cities) the pit grandstands make great seats, while at others the lights are in your eyes, the sound system non-existant, etc.

Really looking forward to a great night. Hope to see some IOWers up there. Thanks for any advice you can give, including good places to eat.
sound system is good. You will be able to hear the line ups. They interview all of the heat winners in the victory lane. So there is a little down time between heats.

Pits are in the middle of the track and there does not appear any good place in the pits to watch the race. I know that people go between the pits and the stands, but it does not happen that often. Since they do not allow the haulers in the pits, it has a different feel than most tracks. While some of the bigger teams will go all out with what they bring into the pits, others will just load up thier mule, get some lawn chairs, a couple water jugs, and a fuel jug. I am not sure it will be worth it to go in the pits before the races.

While some people do put down blankets, it is not outrageous. I was always able to find a decent seat and I would normally arrive right before hot laps.

Angell Park is a great place to watch a midget race. It is one of the few things that I miss about Wisconsin.

9/1/11, 12:56 AM   #29
ThrowbackRacingTeam

There is not a bad seat in the house and I think you can hear the PA in Cottage Grove. The track prep is superb. The action is fast and wild. The beer is cold and the food is good. The girls are hot and ready to score. The only problem up there is car count. I'd be there if I didn't have a wedding of a close relative to attend. I will journey down to DuQoin instead.

9/1/11, 8:25 AM   #30
badgerfan

Frank, I read on another site that the pits are open at 10 am which is really early compared to most weeks. I guess that is for the convenience of the USAC teams that may be coming up from LaSalle. As others have said there are no bleachers in the pits and you really can't see more than about half the track from any vantage point in the pits. Pits are open to the fans without a pass both before and after the races. They clear non pit pass holders out about a half hour before hot laps, hot laps are at 6.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pepsi Nationals